Menu

Am I teaching reading correctly?

I feel a bit lost as I have never done this before. My DD is 4, nearly 5. She wants to read so I began trying to teach her a few months ago. We are doing the Get Ready, Get Set, Go for the Code series (a prequel to the Explode the Code books). She absolutely loves to do work books so I figured this would be perfect. So there's about 12-15 pages devoted to each letter. We break that up over several days. Right now she can recognize, write, and sound out the letters m, r, k, t, s, p, b, and f. I figured we will go through all the books and learn how to recognize, write, and sound out each of the letters. Then we'll move into the vowel books. Then we will begin putting them all together. I have the Bob books that she can move into and then someone told me about the I Am Sam books as well.

Am I doing this right? I mean, she seems to be learning the sounds and everything.....but I just want to be sure I'm approaching this correctly.

Sounds good to me! The Pre-ETC books are a good start. The first ETC book introduces the short vowel sound and building CVC words with the letters one knows...

My only caution would be to make sure you're introducing the actual letter sounds and not a sound-plus-a-vowel... For instance, it's easy to say an "M" makes an "mmmmm" sound. But for letters like B and G and P, people sometimes say "buh" and "guh" and "puh". Make sure you're teaching "b-" and "g-" and "p-"... Does that make sense?

You could probably go ahead and introduce your dd to the Bob books and see how it goes. They do not require a child to know all of the letter sounds before beginning -- just a handful of letters and the ability to blend.

Actually, blending games might be a good addition too. Play "guessing" games where you say a word broken into pieces and have her "say it fast" to guess what you said. "Mmm [pause] aaaah [pause] nnnnn. Okay, what was it?" "Rrrrr --- aaaaah --- T-" etc... You can do syllables too, "Blan-[pause]-ket", etc... These are good as waiting room games or driving along in the car games... And they'll help prepare her for the job of blending sounds on paper,when she gets to that.

But really, it sounds like you're doing a fantastic job. :)