Menu

My ds 6 has 'hit the wall'

He can't try to learn another thing for at least 3 or 4 days! He has reached his limit without a break. I should have had one sooner, before he gets to the point of loss of focus, brink of tears and too many backwards numbers and letters! I'm really getting to understand him better and what he can handle. Four days a week is a good thing. And, a week off is okay and necessary.

Amen! Days off are great for little ones!

I'm moving to homeschooling year round so that we can take a week off every month to go on field trips. We went to Chocolate World at Hershey park last week and they ate gobs of chocolate.

We all needed that.

One of the best things someone told me about homeschooling was that students are like computers. You can input a certain amount and then you get that little hourglass symbol to indicate that it is processing the incoming information. Regardless of how much you type after that shows up, none of it will go into the computer's memory until the unit is done processing what you have already added. After the processing is done, you are free to input plenty more information.

Kids are so much like that, IMO. They can take in so much and then are going to have to take a break and process it. You can't get anything else in there, no matter how clever you are or how hard you try, until they are done processing the first batch. When I finally realized the truth of this concept, our schooling went much more smoothly and happily for us both.