Menu

Cafeteria style restaurant: what is a healthy meal choice?

I would do a skinless baked or grilled chicken. Avoid bbq sauces and breading. A side off long grain rice is less calories than plain rice so maybe some of that. Sides of veggies are good as long as you avoid high calorie sauces. You could add a salad with a diet dressing. Whatever you get, try to eat a small portion or just ask the server to limit the serving. For a drink, I'd go for coffee or tea black, a diet soda or just water and lemon. Hope this helps!

baked or grilled anything. Pick a meat you like that doesn't have sauce. Shrimp, fish, chicken, etc... I try to stay away from red meat, unless I can see the specific nutritional information.

Limit bread. Maybe a wheat roll, if you really want it. Watch the butter and spreads.

Any kind of steamed or fresh veggies. Load up in this area. Fruit is also good, of course.

Baked potato, watch the toppings.

Rice, not fried. Whole grain if possible, but even plain white rice is filling and not too bad in the calorie department.

Stay FAR away from creamy sauces, gravies, or dishes with cheese. Those places rarely use the low fat versions.

Tomato based sauces are a much better choice, if you want to get some sort of pasta. I do try to be careful about eating a ton of restaurant pasta (not typically whole grain.)

They'll probably have sugar free deserts. These are an ok indulgence, if it helps you to indulge occasionally.