Menu

Can anyone help me with a wheat allergy question?

My ds5 goes to storytime at the library. They are going to have their Valentine's Day party at the next storytime. There is a little girl who has a wheat allergy. That's all the info I have; the librarian that teaches the story time announced, twice, that so-and-so has a 'wheat allergy' and 'can't eat anything with wheat in it'.

I forgot to track down this little girl's mom last week to see what treats she can have. I only know, just by chance hearing and seeing, that the little girl can have tootsie rolls (her mom gave her one from mom's purse in place of fruit snacks a child brought last week for his birthday). I put a call in to the librarian, but she's out today, so I left a voice mail. And honestly, I don't know how much info she has to share with me.

I'd really like to bring a valentine's snack that this little girl can have. I just think it would be nice for her. I imagine it's tiresome to be 'different' all the time. Not that it's a huge deal, just I thought, well, why not try to include her?

Can anyone help me, or do I really have to speak to the girl's mother to see what exactly she can have?

I just realized, maybe we will just bring a non-edible 'treat'. That might be best anyway. I know my boys don't need extra sweets around, and I assume other parents probably agree. Or not. I dunno. Any suggestions? I realize it's not a big deal, I just wanted to be thoughtful on behalf of the girl. My family has no food allergies, so I have zero experience in this area.

Possibilities:

You could bring a tray with fruits, raw veggies (with or without dip) and cheese cubes. Then the kids have something to balance out the sweets and all kids can eat it.

Potato chips or corn chips are a possibility. Go for something that lists only "potatos (or corn), oil, salt"...

There are gluten free rice crackers. We like the "Mary's Gone Crackers" brand -- they are made with rice and seeds and are really pretty yummy.

Rice cakes (again read labels and bring plain ones -- something that just lists rice and salt) are another good (and readily available) option. You could top with strawberry or raspberry jam (and if you were really into the Valentine's thing, you could spread the jam in a heart shape!)...

Popcorn is a good choice. If you don't pop your own, you'll want to read the labels very carefully. ... I would pop my own, again using only popcorn kernels, salt and oil.

Rice crispy treats *can* be made gluten free. Don't buy regular rice crispies -- you'll want to buy some that just include rice, no "barley malt" etc as other ingredients. There should be several options in the healthy food section of any major grocery store. Then use butter and marshmallows. Skip the vanilla (since it can have gluten in it)...

Raisins or other dried fruit should be fine... Cheese sticks. I'd say nuts or peanuts, but really, these days, I'd be leery about bringing those to a classroom full of preschoolers... Sunflower seeds should be relatively safe.

whether it is wheat or gluten that she can't have. If it is only wheat, then she can have regular rice crispies. If it is gluten, then she can't have them etiher becasue of the barley malt. Regular rice chex is now gluten free, so you could make those muddie buddie chex thingies-- chex with chocolate, pb, and powdered sugar. YOu could get the gluten free chocolate rice crispiy cereal ( Koalla Crisp) and make rice crispie treats with those. My dd has Celiac so I know the drill.

I just realized, maybe we will just bring a non-edible 'treat'. That might be best anyway. I know my boys don't need extra sweets around, and I assume other parents probably agree.

Excellent idea!! From the mom of a dc with food allergies and intolerances, I would appreciate this the most.

You know what I like my dc to give? Holiday pencils! They are practical, cheap, cute and consumable. Much better than junk food, imo!

Excellent idea!! From the mom of a dc with food allergies and intolerances, I would appreciate this the most.

You know what I like my dc to give? Holiday pencils! They are practical, cheap, cute and consumable. Much better than junk food, imo!

But if *other* people are bringing a roomful of junk food that my kid can't have, it would sure be nice if *somebody* brought *something* (like fruit or carrot sticks or crackers) that my child *could* have. Yes, I always make sure there's *something* my kid can have. But it's lovely when he can share in the experience of eating with his friends.

It doesn't have to be junk food. But if there's *nothing* a particular child can have, that can feel very isolating.

As an allergy sufferer and a mother to several with allergies I prefer to provide my own children with their food and snacks. People tend to get frustrated if they go out of their way to provide something special only to discover that we have yet another allergy that forbids our even trying the food. We are allergic to wheat, corn, citrus, soy,yeast (there went mushrooms and cheeses), msg, food colorings, food additives, carrots, tomatoes, peas! lettuce! nuts, sesame seeds, cilantro, chamomile, and things people would never dream of. It is so much easier to feed the children before an event or pack them a nice meal of their own. I don't expect people to fuss or allow my children to fuss. Homeschooling the kids has an added benefit for us: Fewer temptations to "cheat on their diets."

whether it is wheat or gluten that she can't have. If it is only wheat, then she can have regular rice crispies. If it is gluten, then she can't have them etiher becasue of the barley malt. Regular rice chex is now gluten free, so you could make those muddie buddie chex thingies-- chex with chocolate, pb, and powdered sugar. YOu could get the gluten free chocolate rice crispiy cereal ( Koalla Crisp) and make rice crispie treats with those. My dd has Celiac so I know the drill.

Another "cripsy" treat is to make it with Fruity Pebbles. My dd also has celiac disease and this is a favorite.

Another idea is to make valentines with a sucker attached. Dum-dum suckers are wheat and gluten free. This could even be done as an art project if you wanted to take it that far.

Thanks for the advice so far ladies. I should have been more clear about the 'party'. The children each get a bag, then they each take turns going around and dropping whatever they brought (cards, candy, trinkets, etc) into each other's bag. So whatever I bring should be something that is both small and can be taken home without a mess. Also, I never make homemade things to pass out to other people's children that I don't know really well. I know there was a thread on that a while back, and I don't want to start that again. ;) I just don't like my children to eat homemade things from people that I don't really know, so I wouldn't do that to someone else.

I think it's a really nice gesture, but without more information, you are probably better off not doing it. My son has lots of allergies. Sometimes someone will be thoughtful and bring something special for him, but it often turns out awkward because it will be something he cannot have or something I don't feel comfortable giving him without doing some further checking. If someone I didn't know well baked something for him, there is no way I could let him eat it without feeling I was taking a risk.

I totally understand the urge to want to provide a special treat because my daughter has a friend with a severe dairy allergy that comes over a couple of times a month to play. Many times, I have thought I could pick up a dairy free snack for the girls to share, but when I think of my own situation, I realize it would actually burden her mother if I did that.

I do find that my son and this other little girl are so used to their allergies, it really doesn't bother them to not have the same treat as everyone else. It is their "normal".

Lisa