Menu

Should I stay with HOD or go back to MFW???? HELP ME :)

MommyInTraining

You know when you get on that curriculum merry-go-round and can't get off :)?

I used MFW for K and Adventures and decided I didn't really care for it. Adventures drug on and we finally got it just about finished after about 2 years! It was one of those, let's get this done so we can move on to something else type things. There are still book basket books that I want to get at the library to feel like we have completed it.

I decided to go with Heart of Dakota and now I am wondering if I should stay with it or go back to MFW or something else. I was trying to do 3 different programs in HOD and I don't think I like having the children separated. My reasons for wanting them separated was so that they would be being taught on their level, but I like the age integration with MFW, but wonder if the youngers would not be able to grasp things as well as they could in their HOD program that is tailored more for their ages.

So, what would you suggest for a mommy that has 5 children ages 10, 7, 5, 3, 1 and possibly a pregnancy coming up that will most likely include horrible nausea that makes her not want to do anything? The 10 year old is the only one reading independently.

Looking forward to hearing suggestions.

Thanks so much!

Terri in WA

I am in a similiar situation, but with fewer kids and no pregnancy looming! Mine are 9, 7 and 5, and the 9 yo is the only one doing independent work.

I have finally decided to use something that we can all do together. The more subjects we can manage that way, the more we seem to do and the more everyone seems to get out of it. We are going to do LA and math separately, but we will be combining for everything else, and I am thrilled to have finally gotten that worked out. You can always supplement up or down for whoever is struggling or needs to be challenged.

It helps me to remember that besides LA and Math, everything else is either optional, done in a very scattered manner, or done repeatedly over the the public school cycle. Whatever my younger DDs don't get this go around, they will have plenty of time to pick up later.

I personally like Sonlight, MFW and WP for grouping kids, but there are lots of things out there that will do a great job at it. Find out what you want to study, how much help you need in an IG, and go from there. I am sure there are lots of people who have used HOD and MFW who can give specifics there.

Good luck and best wishes to you!

I would just continue with the HOD recommendations for Math and LA if they are working for you. I agree that it's goofy to do 3 different science and history programs for all 3 levels you are teaching.

How do you feel about going back to MFW? Does the thought fill you with dread? There are other programs you can use to combine, such as SOTW1 or WinterPromise themes.

Another idea would be to pick one level of HOD to do the science/history portion and just use the Math and LA at the level your children need.

That feeling you mentioned about needing to read some more Adventures book basket books to feel "finished" are why I am happier with WP. You don't have to do any library runs with WP.

My Edit: Sorry Terri, I see that you asked specifically... HOD or MFW?... Hope I didn't cause you more confusion. I would add one more thing though... Simplify! ;-)

I was on the same merry-go-round at one time myself. I discovered after several years that as much as I loved the idea of having a program spelled out for me, in all practicality it works better when I piece it together. (Fyi - We have done MFW K and Adventures.)

Of course, Math and LA generally need to be seperate for each child, so that leaves Bible, history, science, art, and music. And MFW does a great job of combining these for your age group. ECC might be a good choice and although I didn't use it, a df did when her girls were 9 and 6, and she had a 3yo as well. Overall she was pleased, but she did grow tired of the geography only and added A Child's History of the World about halfway through the year.

If you're happy with HOD, perhaps you could do the eldest dc's curriculum for everyone in terms of subjects you can combine?

Another option may be to do something like Biblioplan which schedules Bible, history, literature, read-alouds, mapping, and timelines. It does a great job of suggesting books for target age groups and you could implement book basket from the suggestions as well. We are finishing up Biblioplan Ancients after almost 2 years and loved it! Between the Bible and SOTW, it kept the boys interested. You would then only need to plug in science which I find very easy for elementary ages. And if you desire, you're experienced enough to choose music (maybe Coloring the Classics?) and an art program 1x week.

Hth.

Warmly,

Edited by angela&4boys

My kids personally loved MFW ECC...it was alot of fun learning about all the countries and cultures. We made passports and every time we started a new country, I would "stamp" their passports. I also love that the lesson planning is done for you so that saves alot of time and energy.

Hi Terri,

Other than not wanting to do 3 programs with HOD, how do you like it otherwise? You mentioned that you didn't care for MFW but didn't give an opinion on HOD.

I am using HOD this year also and technically I should be doing 3 different programs, but due to funds could only afford to do 2. I had decided to do my 3 & 5th girls using Preparing & Little Hearts with my K & 1st boys. Preparing didnt end up being a good fit for my 3rd grader and since I couldnt afford another program for her, I have her do the right side of LHFHG & Storytime with my boys, which she LOVES and her own appropriate level Math, Reading, Handwriting, & Grammar. If you like HOD in all other respects (the pick up and go, the book choices etc) perhaps you can do something similar, however if you dislike HOD for other reasons as well, perhaps you should look for something else.

You might also want to get the MFW ECC manual, just to look through and see if it fits your needs better and of course PRAY! :0)

PS: Just read my signature, guess I should update it too! :0)

We're finishing up ECC in 5 weeks and I'm glad to be done with it. Ds didn't seem to mind it- he is learning about different cultures and knows where most of the countries around the world are. For me, I am very glad to be almost done and am grouping 2 weeks into 1 week just to get through it. They take a basic formula and repeat the same formula for 34 weeks (i.e. read this missionary story, read about the country from this textbook, read about the country from this other textbook, color a picture, read about the biome from this Usborne book...). There are some things that make it different each week, but I personally need a little more to keep ME motivated. We also did Adventures and ECC is a lot like the second half of Adventures where you study the states.

If you are looking for open and go and not have to really think much or plan much, this is the way to go. Like I said before, ds doesn't mind it much and doesn't feel the same way I do. I'm using it with a young 3rd grader and finding it to be very much his learning level. I've added extra notebooking pages just to make it a little more meaty. The book basket books are mostly picture books that even my 4 year old enjoys. I'm not sure I would do it with a 10 year old. It would need some beefing up. if you did decide to do ECC with an older child, I would suggest adding :

http://www.historyscribe.com/hs-geoscribe.htm

Beth

Hey there!

I think you emailed me a week ago, and I thought that I may as well just respond to this post!!

Anyways, I did ECC last year and did MFW 1st as well! We loved it. It was very doable and it was not overwhelming at all. I also had a continent party with friends at the end of each continent that helped bring it to life!!

And I have used MFW 1 to teach 2 children to read! THEy are strong readers today. Its so easy to do, and doesnt take a lot of time at all!

I say toss the HOD....seriously, who has time to do 3 different levels! YUCK!!! you are so blessed to have such a wonderful big family with kiddies close in age that you need to all be on the same page....instead of going in different directions. There is so much joy in the unity of studying the same thing together. I really think that you will enjoy ECC....its fun to do projects and crafts that are based around continents...you cant go wrong!

You can cater it to all different ages as well.

I was thinking about trying to do something for history and science that wouldn't be too intensive for us, but still get it covered. Do you have any suggestions? I tried to do something different before embarking on HOD, but felt like it was BORING! Reading a science storybook and reading a history book out loud or listening to the SOTW cds or reading MOH and trying to do a craft. I thought HOD would give me that "pizazz" I felt was missing. But, all I do is run around feeling like a wild woman trying to hit everything that needs to be done that day! So, do you have any suggestions for science and history that would add some interest and fun to our day, but not overwhelm this busy momma :001_smile:?

I was just thinking, what about MFW 1st doing the phonics for my emerging readers and the science and history for everyone? Would that be enough science and history for my 10yo or would I still need more?

Thanks so much for your help and suggestions!

Fwiw, we tried MOH briefly to add a Christian worldview (Biblioplan schedules both it and SOTW), and while it was fine for my 11yo and I, my 8yo's eyes glazed over. That's not to say all 8yos will do the same, but that was our experience. We returned to SOTW 1 and the fire was lit once again.

I'm still looking for what to add when we start SOTW 2. It's vital for us to integrate a Christian worldview and there isn't a lot that I've found that does with SOTW. The options I've found are: MFW (as you already know, but it's too much for us), Biblioplan (doesn't tie it together as well as Ancients imho), and Veritas Press History Cards with a schedule from Paula's Archives. The VP cards and schedule will likely be the winner here as they are not overwhelming and give us a good visual. I intend to hang them as a timeline as someone suggested here a while back. On the back of the card they give a nice summary as well as pages to other materials to read including Bibles, encyclopedias, Christian history books, and good literature.

Additionally, I have my boys read a literature book that usually ties in with our study. It helps further their understanding and they enjoy history. My 8yo reads aloud to me as he is not quite ready for independent reading altogether. I highly recommend All Through the Ages by Christine Miller as a chronological literature source for pre-readers through highschool. It is a huge help and value. http://www.nothingnewpress.com/atta.shtml

As far as science, we've enjoyed Apologia immensely. It's pick up and go and my boys look forward to it. We purchased the kit from Home Training Tools for the experiments.

Hope this didn't overwhelm you. The one thing I hear in my head when I'm reading your posts is "Streamline!". ;)

Whenever I start feeling like I'm not sure what to do because I'm obsessing I do two things, ask my husband and look over our goals. Many times my dh can see the forest through the trees as I am in the forest lost so he has a better perspective.

What are your goals? Do you set goals for your family and homeschool? I find that setting and following these helps me to pick curriculum to aid me in those goals. One of the goals we have set is that we want to learn "as a family". We want to be able to discuss the same topic at dinner with Daddy and we want to be able to take family vacations that double as large field trips so that our kids understand that learning can happen anywhere and at anytime. We like when we are all on the same page so we pick a curriculum that allows us to do that.

We love MFW but I understand that one curriculum does not fit all so I would encourage you to look at your goals for your family and then pick a currciculum.

The first grade stuff is not nearly enough for a 10 yo. If you want to do ancients it would be much easier to get Creation to the Greeks and a phonics program for the first grader.

Really? Would SOTW 1 be too light for a 10 yr. old also?

I was thinking CTG would be too much for the littler ones. I was hoping on using 1 program and then maybe adding some things on for my 10yo. :confused:.

We started using MOH and I just didn't feel like it was on the level for my 5 and 7 year olds.

As far as science, we've enjoyed Apologia immensely. It's pick up and go and my boys look forward to it. We purchased the kit from Home Training Tools for the experiments.

;)

I have Apologia Elementary Botany and the kit, but haven't tried to use it. I just don't know if the 5 and 7 year olds will want to sit still and listen to me reading about science, KWIM?

Edited by MommyInTraining

I have Apologia Elementary Biology and the kit, but haven't tried to use it. I just don't know if the 5 and 7 year olds will want to sit still and listen to me reading about science, KWIM?

Yikes - I wasn't aware of an Elementary Biology! That'd be tough. I was thinking more along the lines of astronomy, depending on the 5yo's abilities.

Whoops, not biology, BOTANY...sorry :tongue_smilie:.

Lol! I thought I missed a new title.

Honestly, I'd aim towards the 10 and 7yo. Whatever your 5yo gets from it, consider gravy. 5 is rather young for formal science.

Another option may be to do nature study 2 or 3x a week with all 3 and have the oldest do science on alternating days?

My 2 cents, :)

Really? Would SOTW 1 be too light for a 10 yr. old also?

I was thinking CTG would be too much for the littler ones. I was hoping on using 1 program and then maybe adding some things on for my 10yo. :confused:.

We started using MOH and I just didn't feel like it was on the level for my 5 and 7 year olds.

As far as MFW is concerned, I think ECC would be the best fit for your ages. I did ECC when my oldest was in 2nd grade (adventures wasn't written yet) and then did CTG when I had a 3rd, 1st, and preschool ages (I had 4 dc at the time). It worked fine, but I ended up leaving some things out as it was too advanced. We had a great year though. I they enjoyed the Bible readings, the celebration of the feasts, read alouds, and book basket. The book basket is really where you can tailor the program to meet your children's needs. I got lots of picture books and easy readers.

You can do this for ECC also. All of my dc enjoyed ECC. There are so many wonderful picture books for the younger children to enjoy and plenty of other books for the older ones as well.

MFW is very adaptable without much effort. I am doing EX1850 this year with a 6th, 5th, 3rd, and 1st grader. The first grader is doing the phonics and Bible portion of MFW 1st and participating in the older program on his level.

Thanks JJ.

I think what I am not liking is the LHFHG. I just feel so scattered having separate history and science. But, I don't think my 5 and 7 yo would get much out of Preparing. So, I don't know if I should stay with Bigger for my 10yo and try to do something different with the others or try to put them all together. What do you think?

wrong program listed :P

I just started HOD. I started with the Beyond package and my kids are 9,7, and 5. I am mainly doing the program for it's storytime and left side work. I add in my own LA and math, plus I've beefed up the history a bit by adding in abeka 3rd grade history for my son. I also have him do one page a day of science. Honestly, I don't even know if that is necessary....he is listening in on the history and I know it's short and sweet lessons, but he's learning it. My 7 yr old has a harder time listening to things,but my 5 yr old is picking things up.

I'd drop LHFHG, especially if your already feeling like it isn't working for you. You don't have to do a program like that, I'd call it fluff at that age. You could buy some simple workbooks for your 5 yr old to do when they want to...no pressure stuff. That's what I have my 5 yr old do. And I'm slowly doing a phonics program, but very slowly, because my main phonics work is with my 7 yr old who is still struggling with reading. My soon to be 10 yr old is doing great with the level of things in the Beyond package. One person here pointed out that one of the main history books is actually a 3rd grade CLP book.

You have alot going on. As nice as it would be to do 3 packages, I just wouldn't do it...you just can't do it all and feed everyone and keep clothes clean, or at least I can't and that's just with 3 kids :D.

If preparing is too much for the others to listen in on, then take a look at Beyond or Bigger and see what you think. I'll soon be doing Beyond with a 10,8, and 6 yr old. I dont' think I'm dumbing anything down for my 10 yr old...I'm actually improving our quality of life...because I'm happier if I'm able to maintain things a bit easier. You can ALWAYS add in a history book, science book, or what have you, to your oldest childs reading. Pick the one thing that the little ones will pick up something with,yet will be interesting enough for the oldest one. One thing I will tell you, if your already dreading it or it's driving you crazy,then it just won't get done. I've over bought and tried things for years now...thinking I had to add in this or that and beef things up...but short and sweet might just be what my family needs.

Alison in KY

Hey Terri - I'm not certain what your 10 yo is doing - but here are some scenarios you could ponder:

If you are doing Bigger for your 10 yo' date=' your 7 yo could do the left side of Bigger too, and then just have the 7 yo do his/her own LA and math.

Your 5 yo can do the right side only of LHFHG, and also do LHTH with the 3 yo.

Or, you could just have your 5 & 7 yo do half of the LHFHG plans each day - we did the left side one day, the right side the next day. This would only take 45 minutes a day. This works whether your 10 yo is doing Bigger or Preparing.

[/quote']

Hi jj'sblessings,

Thanks so much for writing back. I thought this thread had died, but it was nice to see a reply in my mailbox tonight. I have been thinking about what to do a LOT!!! This morning I was telling myself to just stick with HOD, but by the end of the day I had contemplated switching again. I keep thinking I should maybe switch to MFW, TOG, SOW, SOTW, or textbooks. I go back and forth, back and forth. The thing that is really bothering me about HOD is that I don't want us on three different pages. I would like for us all to be learning about the same thing. That is why MFW and TOG appeal to me. But, at the same time, I don't want to feel like I am catering to the oldest or youngest and one or the other is getting left behind.

From what you said above...my 10yo is doing Bigger. It seems to be a good fit for her. I don't think it would be for my 7yo, he isn't ready for it (I am talking about the left side). LHFHG is right up his alley. I think what you suggested about doing one side a day for the 5 and 7 year olds, would be the best way to go. Then at least I would feel like I was getting a break in between.

I think my biggest obstacle right now in continuing with HOD is teaching history and science at 2 levels. I would like to see them doing the same history and science, but I feel like TOG and MFW would take more time in the planning (lessons (for TOG), library books, more elaborate projects).

Well, I would still love to hear any comments if anyone is willing to pipe in :D!

Hi jj'sblessings,

Thanks so much for writing back. I thought this thread had died, but it was nice to see a reply in my mailbox tonight. For, I have been thinking about what to do a LOT!!! This morning I was telling myself to just stick with HOD, but by the end of the day I had contemplated switching again. I keep thinking I should maybe switch to MFW, TOG, SOW, SOTW, or textbooks. I go back and forth, back and forth. The thing that is really bothering me about HOD is that I don't want us on three different pages. I would like for us all to be learning about the same thing. That is why MFW and TOG appeal to me. But, at the same time, I don't want to feel like I am catering to the oldest or youngest and one or the other is getting left behind.

From what you said above...my 10yo is doing Bigger. It seems to be a good fit for her. I don't think it would be for my 7yo, he isn't ready for it (I am talking about the left side). LHFHG is right up his alley. I think what you suggested about doing one side a day for the 5 and 7 year olds, would be the best way to go. Then at least I would feel like I was getting a break in between.

I think my biggest obstacle right now in continuing with HOD is teaching history and science at 2 levels. I would like to seem them doing the same history and science, but I feel like TOG and MFW would take more time in the planning (lessons (for TOG), library books, more elaborate projects).

Well, I would still love to hear any comments if anyone is willing to pipe in :D!

Hi Terri! I just wanted to tell you that when I saw this thread up again (and I haven't been to the boards in a while), I prayed for you and the decisions you have to make. Our kids are so similar in ages, I really feel for what you're going through. In my case, I chose Beyond. I'm doing it with everyone right now. I had hoped to add in Preparing for my oldest (4th grade), but since he also has Classical Conversations and plenty of reading on his own, etc. I'm letting him enjoy the simplicity of Beyond right now. I may add Preparing or Hearts for Him through Time in the fall. I think JJ's idea of LHFHG at half pace is a good one to try. It takes a burden off you and doesn't cost anything since you already have it.

I honestly don't think TOG would be helpful. I bought it, looked at it, and nearly checked myself into a padded room, LOL! I know some folks use it with L/U grammar kids, but I honestly think the amount of work and decision making involved would not be worth it. If I had rhetoric age kids with UG tagging behind, I would jump on it. Just my .02

I haven't looked closely at Bigger, so this may not be possible, but do you think your 7yo could do some of Bigger's left side, but not all? I mean science at 7 is not totally necessary. Could he/she just do the history read aloud, Bible and maybe some of the activities if they aren't too hard? Again, I don't know what I'm talking about since I haven't used it!

(Btw, as far as Apologia's Botany goes, I would not recommend this for little ones. We started it a couple times and never got all the way through. THe astronomy book works well with younger ages, but, imho, not the Botany).

My only other thought might be to combine them all in Beyond, but this would mean more purchases and disrupting your 10 yo in Bigger, which I can understand you not wanting to do!

Better than any of my thoughts are my prayers again for God to lead you to what you need for you and for your kids. I feel like Beyond has been a great answer for us right now, but that doesn't mean it is His answer for you. I pray for His direction to be made clear and for you to have peace!

Lynn

With your oldest being 10 and having a lot of littles, I would (and did) use Ambleside Online Year 1 for everyone. (I did this twice.) Each child did his/her own math and grammar program, but I kept everyone together for history, literature, and science (mostly...older ds had to read a science book on his own too).

I hope I haven't added to your confusion. Best wishes in your decision.

Hi Terri, have you gotten things figured out yet :001_smile:. I just wanted to add that at this age, especially for the youngest, as the Well Trained Mind teaches, it's alot of exposure. So if your 7 yr old doesn't "get it" like my 7 yr old doesn't "get it", well that's okay. I'm doing the Beyond package with my 9,7,and 5 yr olds. My youngers are hearing the information, getting exposed to it, but they don't know all about it. I expect my oldest to get a little bit more of it than anyone...but I dont' think that means I'm short changing my younger ones. If you would ask them in 5 years what they learned in LHFHG or any program, I doubt they would know any of it (at least the left side stuff)...unless you were to go over it and over it. But somewhere in my kids minds, hopefully, they will again hear the name Ralph Waldo Emerson and think "Hey, I've heard of him" and just maybe they'll remember he writes poems. I think that's the same with any program.

I think HOD is the least intensive out of everything I've seen. I started off doing SOTW , and Istill love it, but I just wouldn't pull out that AG and do it...so if it's not getting done then it's not good for us (as wonderful a program as it is). That's the same way with any of it. They can learn so much by reading, so if your 10 year old is a decent reader, then no matter the age group of the HOD levels, you can always beef it up, or add to it. Something else I did when I picked Beyond, is I picked the thinner books for our storytime...so when you break it up into reading one book over 20 days it's just a few pages.

One thing that happened yesterday when I was reading the HOD history and I stopped after a couple pages...my son complained and said it was just like watching TV and having a commercial break when the story is at an exciting point. I like that. Again, my main purpose for picking HOD was to have the history and storytime laid out for me...it makes it more doable for me.

The HOD has added enjoyment back to our homeschooling lives, because before HOD I was only doing the basics and I struggled with getting to the stories, etc. Now I've shortened my lessons, my history and Bible, etc are tied into each other, and we're enjoying our time together. I think that's the goal no matter what program you go with.

Keep us posted and hang in there.

Alison in KY

First, I just want to thank you all for offering your advice and time. It is so nice to have other moms to hash these things out with :001_smile:.

Alison and Lynn, your responses have been especially helpful to me for where I am right now.

On a side note--Alison, I was born and raised in KY :001_smile:. I am from Louisville, but I am familiar with Western KY because I visited my aunt there when she attended WKU.

And, Another Lynn, I think maybe your post back in the days when I was pregnant with #5 or he was a new babe was one that I remember from the old boards. It was when I was trying to use SWR. By the way, my middle name is Lynn :001_smile:.

You both have given me something to think about with Beyond. I was planning on using that next year with my younger 2 and moving my older one into Preparing. Alison, my dd just turned 10 at the end of January. My 5 yo is doing well with phonics, but my 7 yo is still needing some extra help. He will be 8 in May. I guess I need to think about using Beyond. I feel like I have done American History so long with my 10 year old. Like I said, we spent 2 years going through MFW Adventures (American History). Does Beyond cover American History also? That is what we are doing in Bigger. I just can't see my 7 yo old being ready for Bigger next year. So, if I do Beyond with my 5 and 7 year olds now, what would I use for them next? Spend two year in Beyond taking it slow and then move my 10 year old into Preparing or maybe pick-up Bigger again when I feel like I have a better groove going? What are you planning on using after Beyond Alison? And Lynn, what is "Hearts for Him through Time"? I would love to hear what you both plan on doing after going through Beyond.

Thank you all for your thoughts and help!

Hi!

I only have 2 dc (almost 9 and 7), but I do a lot of research and wanted to share some thoughts that I don't think have been mentioned yet (although you do have 4 full pages of great info :grouphug:)!

MFW's ECC is meant to be done twice... once after Adventures and then it could be done again for 8th graders even! Thus, I think it could be fine to use this with a 10 year old. Have you seen the book on World Geography that ECC uses? It is geared for 5th graders and has VERY detailed questions for some great country studies and reports. You could make country 'packets' for your 10 year old to complete, while the others just stamp their passport and cruise through the countries! :D

Also, I used MFW 1st while I was doing WP Animal Worlds and even some of SL Core 1. MFW 1st grade is VERY doable to use with another program, and it is very organized and easy. The only problem I had with MFW 1st grade was timing the start date for it. This is because it works best when your dc are at the right point to proceed. If you have a struggling reader, you would likely find that you would have to slow the program done considerably and take time to play some learning to read 'games' that they include. I also loved the Bible lessons that came with MFW 1st grade. We didn't do the games, but since you have so many dc, I bet the optional games and learning to read activities would be fun for your family. And your 10 year might be employed to help lead in this area!

I am using TOG this year for Y4, as someone loaned it to me. I do see how a big family would appreciate the ability to all stay on the same subject but have different books and worksheets for different ages. However, I would never try to start it in a year where you feel you might be a bit stressed as it is, and I have been tempted to just stay with MFW myself as my main problem (as I love how cohesive the program is).

And, since I did mention this earlier, I can tell you that WP's Animal Worlds would likely be a delight to use while you were studying ECC... but you could simplify and just use the idea of it. While you are studying Russia, you study the Arctic tundra and all the animals that live there. Fun, fun, fun!

Brenda

While you are studying Russia, you study the Arctic tundra and all the animals that live there. Fun, fun, fun!

:iagree:We use Draw Write Now books 7 and 8 and the Usborne Living World Encyclopedia for this. I wish I was using the Complete Book of Animals works well for this as well. But that is all. It can be as simple as you want it. I also have Around the World Art and Activities and Disney's Our World, which work well for youngers, and both have a few activities and information on animals, but I don't know what MFW ECC has in the way of younger materials, as I only looked at WP.

I scheduled the whole world, 9 areas of interest, and we only did Africa and part of Asia so far. LOL

I think that MFW ECC would be good to use if you possibly have a baby coming. Since you have a 10 yo that is an independent reader, she can help out with some of the reading when you don't feel up to it and help you "stay on track." Like others have said, ECC uses the same basic plan week after week, just changing the country of study. We really enjoyed it, and the repetition was good for me, since we had a baby mid year, and my oldest girls were able to help out with reading to the younger ones. I did get a little restless towards the end, but I can't blame that on the curriculum because I get restless whenever spring gets close no matter what we are using. We switched away from MFW this year, and I found myself so stressed out by my "better choices" that in January we went back to MFW CtG and now being 7 weeks into it, life is good again. My advice would be try to combine the history, science, art/music etc and just use age appropriate LA and math. I can't imagine trying to keep up with seperate "grade levels" for all subjects for all 4 of my school aged children everyday! Hope you find what works for you.

Katie :0)

Mom to 5 beautiful blessings :grouphug:

dd-12 :seeya: MFW CtG, TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English, Apologia General Science

dd-11 :smilielol5: MFW CtG, Math in limbo, R&S English

ds-8 :auto: MFW CtG, Singapore 2A&B, R&S English

dd-6 :lol: MFW K

DD-2 :smash: learning all I can while I wait for my turn

Just wanted to send out a FYI - MFW is making same changes to ECC. The new ECC should be available for next fall. I am assuming it will be in the new catalog. I think they really needed to do that.

I have tried ECC twice. I really wanted to like it. I bought it, sold it, bought it again and am now trying to sell parts of it. We enjoyed First Grade and Adventures. But, honestly, by the time we got to the end of Adventures, I was worn out and that was with only teaching one child! Everyone says that MFW is "open and go" but it did not feel that way to me. Yes, you have a schedule for the main books but you must add more content to it. Well, I guess maybe it's not an absolute must, but if you don't, it's very dry. That is my opinion and I'm speaking as one who does like MFW. I just wouldn't buy it expecting that it is completely "open and go".

I would encourage you to consider WinterPromise. It is expensive but it may enable you to teach one program. In my opinion, it truly is "open and go" and you do not have to do anything to add to it. Maybe they will have a program that will meet your needs. And, if they don't, you can call them and they will help you. They are so sweet and helpful and willing to talk to you about how to use their programs. In my opinion, MFW does not provide that same service. I have had several conversations with reps. from MFW and each time they were very rigid and said outright that their programs are not supposed to be adapted in any way and they needed to be used exactly as they have written them.

I'm biased. We are in year 2 of MFW. I have an 8th grader, a 5th grader, a 5yo soon to be kindergartener, and a 3yo. We bounced and struggled to find our fit for 7 years and I feel like God just breathed on us when we started using this program. I had prayed so long for this idea of what I wanted in a curriculum...some the classical ideas and some CM, heavy focus on missions and God's hand in everything. I got on this board and detailed what I wanted. Someone said that what I described sounded like MFW. I checked it out and we love it. Our first year was ECC and we really enjoyed it, though not the science as much. The science worked but next time I might do some lapbooking with the younger set when they go through it. I realized just how much we have gotten from ECC when we moved into 1850-present this year and our geography knowledge is just so incredibly beneficial to us now, and that is thanks to ECC. 1850-present has been nothing less than extremely the reading of the foreword by SWB from SOTW4 into our daily curriculum, and some her own thoughts and words about this period of history have just proven so true and so profound and opened our eyes so strongly to the natural tendency of humans towards sin and what it looks like when people think they can fix the ills of society with a new govt.<ha!> I can't begin to explain how God has used this curriculum along with current events to just so powerfully show His hand!! My 8th grader is reading Animal Farm after learning about Communism. It's been so interesting to put it all together!!

On the book basket, well, I think I learned a few years ago, to find some books at the library, whatever is on the suggested list, and if it's not there we move on. When I place those books in the bookbasket, I have no plans that they have to read every last one of them. I pick about 8 or 9 fiction books for them to read throughout the year for lit, then give them 15 minutes per day for book basket, which I usually have a couple of books per topic.

I will say, though, that we have not used k, 1st, or adventures. We'll be using K soon. I'm just wondering if maybe?? what you experienced with mfw was those initial years of homeschooling where we tend to be, umm, well, a little bit on the perfectionist side? I'm guilty of that, so that's why i'm asking. ;)

Alison, I look forward to hearing back from you.

Donna, do you know what changes are being made to ECC that would improve it? I have just recently looked at WP again and it seems that they have too many objectionable titles for us.

JJ, I agree that sticking to a schedule is a big issue. However, the separation of the children in Bible, History, and Science seems to be bothering me. That is why I was considering Alison's and Lynn's suggestions of putting all 3 in Beyond. However, I don't think I really want to do that either. I am feeling like Kate though and thinking that I don't want the children being separated for subjects like history, science, bible, music, etc. It is feeling disjointed.

So, my other options are MFW, TOG, and WP?

It didn't seem like WP would be a good fit as we move into Ancients, is that correct? In the catalog it looked like the history cycle starting with the Ancients was more for middlers and up? So, what do they expect you to use with your younger students after you finish American Story?

TOG--I would have the whole planning issue...not something I want to be doing while fighting nausea and 2 toddlers running around.

I had looked at SOW, but I don't think it is close to "open and go".

So, MFW. I have heard some people say they didn't like ECC because of the book selections. But, there seem to be several people on here who do like it. Though, I have heard people say they liked Adventures, and I would not want to do it over again.

:001_huh:......................

Just wanted to send out a FYI - MFW is making same changes to ECC. The new ECC should be available for next fall. I am assuming it will be in the new catalog. I think they really needed to do that.

(editing since I think a few minutes ago I misread what you said)

any idea what are the changes for 2nd edition?

-crystal

Edited by cbollin

WP has a program called Hideaway's in History that uses the SOTW books, scheduled for younger children with age-appropriate additions. A lot of us plan to use that with our younger children as we use the Quest for Ancients on up for our middlers. They will all be working in the same time period, and the youngers can listen in on the Mystery of History readings, and the middlers will have fun helping with some of the Hideaways and other younger projects. It requires HIH to be stretched out but I see no problem with that.

So, my other options are MFW, TOG, and WP?

It didn't seem like WP would be a good fit as we move into Ancients, is that correct? In the catalog it looked like the history cycle starting with the Ancients was more for middlers and up? So, what do they expect you to use with your younger students after you finish American Story?

For my dc, because I really want to go ahead and dive into Ancient History when older ds is a 4th grader (I wouldn't have to, I could do Sea and Sky with Younger Learner Guide and then Children Around the World, which would put younger ds at third grade when we are in Ancients) is this: I will take parts of the Hideaways in History program to give younger ds a bit of history, but not "overkill" for me or him.

Since you aren't wanting to do American History right now, I can see that WP might not appeal for your family right now. I haven't really encountered too many objectionable books (like 1-2, which weren't really *bad* per se, just more than I wanted to get into with a second grader).

If you did decide to go with WinterPromise, your sequence could look something like this:

10, 7, 5: Sea and Sky with Younger Learner Guide

11, 8, 6: Children Around the World

12, 9, 7, 5: All American 1

13, 10, 8, 6: All American 2 (supposed to be released this year)

14, 11, 9, 7, 5: Quest for the Ancient World, with 1/4 of Hideaways for the littles

15, 12, 10, 8, 6: Quest for the Middle Ages, with 1/4 of Hideaways for the littles

16, 13, 11, 9, 7, 5: Quest for Royals and Revolution, with 1/4 of Hideaways for the Littles

17, 14, 12, 10, 8, 6: Quest for the Modern Age (to be released) with 1/4 of Hideaways for the littles

18, 15, 13, 11, 9, 7, 5?: New one-year World History Overview (to be released)

You could also go ahead and do all of Hideaways this year if that program appeals to you (the history content is WAY enough for a 10yo imo). The way I plan to make it "easy" to do parts of Hideaways with the older themes is to use the audio recordings for the SOTW readings, which will free me up considerably. Or you could do Ancient and Middle after CATW, putting All American 1 and 2 after them if you're still not ready to revisit Amer history after a two year break.

WP requests that you do not resale their exclusives.

Some people feel okay reselling them if they did not use them. Others feel okay reselling them because copywrite laws agree that when you have purchased an item, it then belongs to you and you can resell it. WP's request does not mesh with the law.

I am not done with my guide and once I am I will be saving it for at least 4 years to use with DS, so... no I haven't resold any. lol

I noticed on the WP site when they addressed the question of combining youngers with olders for AC, they discouraged it because of the material being over the youngers' heads. I think this is the reason that HOD has different guides for close together ages, so that it will be more age appropriate. That is what I am concerned about with using ECC for all ages. Is that something I should be concerned about?

Is it not reasonable to want to have everyone doing the same history and science in the k-8th grades?