Menu

Question 1: Bugs vs. pest control chemicals. Is it terrible for the health of my

Well, when we moved to the desert, and had black widows building webs in my babies' play structure on the patio, I chose the Orkin man.

If it had just been regular bugs, I wouldn't have done it. But, I made the exception for tenacious poisonous spiders that kept coming back, day after day. Every day, I would kill spiders, and the next day, more would be there, under the slide, or under the platform, or in the little windows of the play structure.

The bug guy only sprayed outside, and he promised that once the spray was dry, it was not dangerous for this kids. I suppose if they went down on their knees and licked the concrete, it would have been a problem, but (of course) they didn't. We had silverfish in the house, but they weren't dangerous (just gross), so I didn't have spray for them.

Of course spraying toxic pesticides around your residence is bad for your health and the health of your children.

If a "nasty corporation" exposed your family to the same toxins you'd be up in arms (perhaps ready to sue) so why poison yourselves?

Next question :D

Bill (is it me, or is it one of those days?)

family if we only have the bug man spray outside? I can't bear the thought of no Orkin man....

What bugs do you have that you need to do this for? I'm confused. I could see waging an all-out war on roaches (I shudder at the thought of those things!), and I can also understand trying to protect yourself from harmful insects/pests (black widows/scorpions). That said, most locations in the US don't have either of these issues. So what, exactly, are you trying to kill?

Ria (who won't even use bug spray...nasty, nasty stuff)

Okay. Bye-bye Orkin guy.

I'm trying to keep ants out of my home.

I hate ants.

They make me itch. And cry.

You might try sprinkling cinnamon around for the ants - many types of ants do not like it and will go away. If they're persistent ants, a mixture of borax and honey/syrup will kill them once they ingest it, and is much less toxic than whatever the Orkin guy is spraying.

Terro

I don't like to use bug sprays either. We tried numerous natural methods to take care of a roach problem (they make me shudder, too). Didn't work, so we resorted to the enclosed roach motels, which have worked great!

I tried all kinds of natural stuff with the ants, too. Didn't work on those either. A neighbor suggested Terro (active ingredient is boric acid), we tried it and it worked like a charm. You put a drop on cardboard where you see their trail and then watch them flock to it. The key is that you have to leave them alone. It was very difficult to let those little buggers crawl all over my kitchen counter. Within a couple of days, they had carried enough of the poison back to the nest to kill the colony. It was the only thing that worked for us, and because of how it works, I was okay using it in our home.

HTH!

~Staci

If they're persistent ants, a mixture of borax and honey/syrup will kill them once they ingest it, and is much less toxic than whatever the Orkin guy is spraying.

Yep. This or a variant of boric acid and sugar syrup will kill the whole colony, if the problem is intolerable.

Other-wise ants won't cross powder barriers (such as baby powder). And a spray bottle with Dr Bonners Peppermint Soap (really any soap) will knock 'em dead on contact indoors. Won't solve the "big problem" but it's better than Raid.

Bill

I guess it depends on how bad the infestation is.

We had hundreds of black widows in the backyard that kept coming from a foreclosed house next door. Plus, we had huge red ants inside the house that once got into my 2 year old bed at night and started biting her. It was like a horror movie.

We called Terminex after that night. No natural remedies worked for us, btw.

I'd have to agree, it depends what you're fighting.

In our old place, I would never have thought of hiring a pest control person. But we moved (a mere few blocks away) and the bugs were awful! It was truly intolerable. Nothing worked. So we called, and we haven't looked back. It's so much better.

That said, once we got the problem under control, he's only been spraying outside ... I don't like pesticides if I can help them. But sometimes it's better than the alternative.

One word: Grits (yes those not so yummy IMO breakfast flakes)

Find out where they are coming in at. We find they love the nooks and crannies between the foundation of our house and the bricks. We just wash the mound down away from the house with a hose and sprinkle grits around the perimeter of our home a few times a year (don't sprinkle the grits when the mound is wet or it negates the grits). Those are good inside of course also as long as your dog does not like them lol. We strongly dislike ants at our house, but hey they beat the scorpions we used to have. :001_smile:

my husband was working at a local high school lab that was sprayed for termites. the termite poison was going to be banned in a few weeks so the school got a discount. he became so ill that he was like a walking zombie, he now has multiple chemical sensitivity. he spent the next 8 years on workers compensation. and is now on a disability pension. This has majorly affected our family. he has to stay pretty much isolated.

I would highly recommend NOT having your house sprayed for anything.