Menu

CSA shares-anyone have experience?

I wanted to do this when we lived in Florida but there was only one CSA in my area and it was completely filled with a waiting list. Now I am in VA and in the Washington Post today, there was a long list of CSA with space left. How do I go about choosing? Have you used one and what did you think about it?

I love, love, love my CSA!

Perhaps you should look at the length of the subscription and the quantity of produce involved. The first time I did a CSA, I shared a box with a neighbor because the quantity was too large for my needs. Another consideration may be the convenience of the pickup location. Do they make arrangements if you cannot make it to the site on the pickup day?

Maybe there is a food co-op in your new community that can clue you in.

Good luck!

Jane

I've only had one experience with a CSA and although I really liked the concept of it and wanted to support it, it was their first year (I believe) and they didn't have all the kinks worked out yet. The worst thing was how the things were packaged in the box, and I ended up several times with very damaged produce because of their poor packaging methods (like putting very heavy items on top of a bag of cherry tomatoes).

So I guess if you have a choice of more than one, I'd try to see what others' opinions of them are (do people rave about them, or have any complaints), and then go by the cost, amounts, subscription length, etc.

We've done this before and been very happy, but the others are right that you need to put some research into this. See if they have a list of what they normally grow, and what the rules are on pick-up or delivery. If it's not convenient to get it, you're going to get tired of it after awhile. Find out what happens if the delivery is late, etc.

I haven't decided yet if we're going to do it again or not, but it's fun to see what they come up with.

You can look at localharvest.org for the specifics of CSAs in your area, and their individual websites. Or, just call them.

We found ours through Local Harvest four or five years ago, when they were just starting out. There have been some kinks - nothing major - and the pickup location has changed over the years, but our CSA farmers have become friends.

Some things to look at:

• Share cost and how many weeks that covers.
  • Share size and variety - some shares are good for small families, some for larger, as far as quantity of veggies goes. Also, look at what they have planned for the year. Ours breaks it out by estimated harvest dates, so we have an idea of the variety we'll get through the summer and fall.
  • Pick-up - both location and routine. We used to pick up at our farmers' house (not the farm) and they would have the veggies in boxes on the screened porch with the weekly menu of what everyone was supposed to take. Last year, we picked up at the local farmers' market, where they have a booth. You need to make sure their pick up does not conflict with another commitment you have. I would not want to pick up a pre-boxed, unattended share each week, either.

Also, some farms in my area have pick-up shares and working shares. If you are able to work on the farm a few hours a month, you may do better with a CSA that has lower-priced working shares.

Thanks everyone. I will look for recommendations on line but I think there are only a very few that will be okay for me as far as location of delivery. We moved to a great house on almost an acre but it is an acre of woodland so very few vegetables or fruits will grow here. We will attempt strawberries on our patio.

Christina-

I'm in NOVA, in Falls Church. Two years ago we did a CSA from Great Country Farms. I liked it. Pros: They delivered to your house so very convenient. They allow you to "split" a share with someone else and it's a cheaper option. They include fruit in their share, which a lot of places don't. You can also go to the farm. Part of your CSA membership is that you get free admission to the farm which is normally $5-6 a person. You also get a certain amount of U-Pick options with your membership. Things like strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries are either not in the box or are in in very small amounts but if you go out you can pick an additional share for free. They have a great set up for kids, although looking at the ages of your kids they are probably too old. It's a fun outing, etc. It took me about an hour one way to get there from where I live just inside the Beltway. So for a fun day trip it was fine.

We decided not to do it last year for a few reasons. Primarily dh thought wasn't convinced it was a great deal. There were times that there would be a lot of the same thing in the box week after week. There was a lot of kale in the spring. But we were happy with the quality of the produce and delivery.

I missed doing a CSA and so we're planning on doing another one this year. We're going to try Potomac Vegetable Farms. I know people that have used it and been very pleased and it was featured in the Post last year in the Food section. From reading those columns, it seemed to be a wider variety of produce. There is a main pick-up location in Vienna but if you look at the registration page there are other spots you can pick-up. I don't know where you live so how convenient that would be for you. Potomac Vegetable Farms does not promise fruit, but I have heard that sometimes the owner sticks some in. They also have an egg share you can do and pick up at the same time.

I liked Great Country Farms and considered doing it again. The main reason I'm switching is that I just wanted to try something new. And also I'll be very pregnant this summer and I realized realistically I'm not going out in 90 degrees 7 months pregnant to pick blueberries. Not going to happen. So the U-Pick would be wasted on us and that's a really nice part of their CSA.

Another thing to know is that the Farmer's Markets in this area are really really good. Most of them are part of the Park Service and if you go regularly you can get excellent produce all summer long. Some, like the one near me go all year long.

Hope that helps.