Menu

What kind and how much fish oil?

My husband has high cholesterol and we are trying to improve it through diet changes rather than medicine if possible. I've seen quite a bit of information about using fish oil suppliments but I did a search on vitacost, I got 401 choices. Can someone help me narrow this down? He would do better with a pill than a liquid. If he gets "fish burps" that I have read some talk about, he won't take it. I saw many recommending Nordic Naturals but they seemed very expensive (although I'm not sure how long a bottle lasts).

So can someone help me out and figure out what kind of fish oil (I have seen cod liver oil, Omega-3, super omega-3, salmon, arctic krill, etc). I have no idea what I should be getting or what a normal daily dosage should be (they vary from 500mg to 2000mg).

How do I select a good quality, affordable (preferably less than $10 month) fish oil? I just don't know what to look for.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but I type a lot of 'fish oil 1000 mg daily' for patients with high cholesterol. I work as a medical transcriptionist in the evenings. No ideas on narrowing down the types. If you put in a call to the doctor's office, will they offer suggestions?

I use wild Pacific salmon oil capsules. My favourite brand is I think avail only in Canada (Gold Seal - they make canned salmon as well).

Vital Choice is a brand that I've read good things about & that is avail in the US. Again it is from wild salmon (you definitely don't want farmed) and caught sustainably in accordance with the marine stewardship rules...

I suspect you can find something in a bigger grocery or drugstore. Just look for WILD and PURE pacific salmon. I usually spend 12-19$ on a bottle of 120. We go through a lot of it as all of us, including the dog, take 2/day.