Menu

Favorite Literature for Middle Ages study

Sweetest

Can you give me some suggestions for literature for next year. We will be studying the Middle ages (using SOTW 2 - I found the activity guide suggestions too overwhelming last year). I'm looking for books to Read Aloud and for independant reading (8 year old, strong reader, not particularly sensitive to violence). What were some of your favorites that I shouldn't miss?

Thanks!

Can you give me some suggestions for literature for next year. We will be studying the Middle ages (using SOTW 2 - I found the activity guide suggestions too overwhelming last year). I'm looking for books to Read Aloud and for independant reading (8 year old, strong reader, not particularly sensitive to violence). What were some of your favorites that I shouldn't miss?

Thanks!

My picks for Read Alouds are The Door in the Wall, Robin Hood, and King Arthur and the Knights of the Round TAble.

Are you kids serious? You like A Door in the Wall? Whoa.

It was, as my youngest would say, "not to my liking, not my prefer". I found it to be a bit sentimental. I did not feel that it gave a good sense of the time, either. It seemed like the boy was a modern boy, with modern sensibilities, in stockings. (I love her book Henner's Lydia, though, so I have nothing against the author.)

But different strokes.... I hated Beorn the Proud, and folks here love it. So perhaps I'm just a dork.

Some of my favorites are The Innocent Wayfaring by Marchette Chute. It's a bit difficult to find, but worth it. Also quite good is The Load of Unicorn by Cynthia Harnett. I adored Kevin Crossley-Holland's Arthur trilogy but I think he's a bit controversial.

I'll probably think of other's too, as soon as I click "submit"....