Menu

My DD informs me she wants to play the violin!

OK, any music experts, teachers, etc out there?

My soon to turn 10 yo in May dd informs me she wants to play the violin and become a Celtic Woman.:D

She seems to enjoy the violin and I think it's beautiful.

Pros? Cons? She is measured as needing 1/4. They are soooo expensive, I'm looking for one pre-owned, but after researching violins the quality has a broad range from very poorly made to custom/professional.

Give me your thoughts.....Sheryl <><

Unless money is no object, I wouldn't spend much on a 1/4 size violin.

My son is in ps and plays trumpet. We are able to rent his instrument for a reasonable yearly fee through a private company (not the school). That's what I would look for first--a rental. Do you know any kids who play violin and are in ps? You could ask the parents where they get their instruments. I'd ask at music stores too.

Very good take on this. I never thought about ps friends. I can check with our church homeschool group too! Rental...we discussed, but it would come out to more than buying a cheaper, not cheapest though, model. Thanks again. Sheryl

Unless money is no object, I wouldn't spend much on a 1/4 size violin.

My son is in ps and plays trumpet. We are able to rent his instrument for a reasonable yearly fee through a private company (not the school). That's what I would look for first--a rental. Do you know any kids who play violin and are in ps? You could ask the parents where they get their instruments. I'd ask at music stores too.

If you want your child to learn to play the violin, I would get the correct size violin. Yes, it's expensive. But playing on a violin that is too large can be frustrating and establish bad habits.

What I have always done is that I buy the right size and later sell it. Yes, I lose money. My children have played on several Scott Chao 150s and they have made a nice sound and been worth the money. I think I have paid $385 for them (with a case and bow) and sold them for $250. That's a much better deal than renting, and the violins are nicer than most of the rentals in fractional sizes.

Both my dh and I are only a bit Irish...and I do like IRISH music. I didn't know, however, that there is an Irish fiddle. Thanks for the info. I may google it to find a pic of it. Will check ebay too!

When our younger dd started taking Irish fiddle lessons at 5, we bought her one for $200 on ebay. It was fine for our purposes. As she progressed and showed real gifting in this area, we spent more money on a better fiddle.

We have bought all our violins used. You have a chance at a decent $200 used violin, but a new $200 violin is certainly poor quality.

Besides ebay, check your local classified, Craig's list, ask the local elementary school music teachers, local violin teachers, Suzuki group etc.

If you buy it used, you can sell it for most, if not all, of what you paid. If you rent, the money is gone.

BTW, expect to need new strings at some point (around $40-$50). I have favorites, which I find worthwhile because I don't want to listen to banjo-like screeches when she practices.

Slow down a minute! I'm quite sure she would not be starting on a 1/4 size! I started at age 9 on a 3/4 size, got my full size violin when I was 11, and it is the instrument I still play today!

Go to a music store in your town and see about renting an instrument. They will make sure the size is right and that you have everything you need. You can rent without needing to commit to a 2 year contract, and yes, you can rent to own, but I think you should just rent for a while to be sure this passion to learn the instrument "sticks".

I've just started teaching, and both my students found instruments through friends. Your local homeschool group might be a good place to start asking around.

The rent-to-own arrangement is great for parents of new violinists in my opinion. There's a lot to learn about the care and feeding of a violin....and a lot can happen. Rentals include insurance for the replacement in case something unfortunate happens. It also allows you to pop into the shop for a string change, a bridge straightening, finding the source of that new little buzz......and you'll learn a great deal in the process. Our shop let us trade in when my kids were old enough for a full-size, so I just considered each violin we traded up to an investment in the one we wound up with.

I'm not well-versed on many different techniques of teaching the violin, but I am a fan of the Suzuki method. My sister started violin at an older age like your daughter and still enjoyed using Suzuki. My parents also did a rental until my sister was ready for a full-size violin.

I wouldn't buy anything other than a full size violin. I am actually surprised that she needs a 1/4 size, as my 5 yo started with a 1/4 size and has since graduated to a 1/2. I would definately have the sizing rechecked. Also different violins can be somewhat different in terms of size. I've heard that Suzuki violins are on the small size and are good for kids who are between sizes.

We are renting three violins right now. Most places allow you to put some of your rental money towards the purchase of an instrument.

Thanks again everyone. I'll have my dd's sizing rechecked as this has been brought up from a few replies.

The violin teacher told me how to measure and she actually measured her at 1/8 (side of neck to wrist). That was hard for me to understand so I took her in to a music store and they measured at 1/4 (side of neck to mid palm). Why 2 different methods to measure?

She is small for her age, truly she's not much bigger in stature than her 1st grade friend down the street. Just a tad bit bigger, but not much.

Thanks. Sheryl

We rented our dd's 1/8 and 1/4 sizes. The only reason we bought hwe 1/2 and 3/4 is my dad got some old ones at estate auctions cheap. We were lucky that they ended up being decent - though they did need some strings and parts.

The argument for renting is that she'll sound much better on a quality instrument. A good violin is veerry expensive. Ones that cost only a couple hundred new will probably not sound all that great. I think it only cost us $150 or less to rent the smaller sizes, and she wasn't in either more than a year, so it was worth it. Most rental agreements will let you trade in an instrument at any time for a larger size under the same contract.

My dd thinks the measurement for sizing is for the scroll to be about the heel of the hand - which is inbetween the wrist and the middle of the palm. :tongue_smilie: She's 10 1/2 yo and is almost ready for a full-size - but her smaller twin sister would probably be in a 1/2 size, if she took violin.

All my kids take Suzuki (one on violin, two on piano).

Edited by matroyshka

Thanks again everyone. I'll have my dd's sizing rechecked as this has been brought up from a few replies.

The violin teacher told me how to measure and she actually measured her at 1/8 (side of neck to wrist). That was hard for me to understand so I took her in to a music store and they measured at 1/4 (side of neck to mid palm). Why 2 different methods to measure?

She is small for her age, truly she's not much bigger in stature than her 1st grade friend down the street. Just a tad bit bigger, but not much.

Thanks. Sheryl

She must be a very small 10yo. My 6yo is on the small size 40 inches tall and 38lb. and she just recently moved into a 1/8 size violin. We measure by having her hold the violin in question as if she would play it then see if her hand can comfortably curve around and hold the scroll.

I purchased a rather inexpensive violin for her first violin (and kept it because it was so cute 1/32) because I didn't know if she would like playing or not. The others I have purchased through a violin maker and the cost of each violin (minus minor costs for new strings and bow rehair $80) goes toward the purchase of the next so we have been able to slowly build up to a wonderful sounding 1/8 violin (that we wouldn't have been able to afford had that cost come all at once rather than over 2.5 years).