Menu

What do you consider the "core" subjects to be?

Closeacademy

I've noticed that this word gets tossed around. And I am just wondering what everyone considers the "core" subjects to be.

Personally, for Pre-K to 2nd grade I see the core as being phonics, math and penmanship.

For 3rd to 6th, it would be grammar/Latin, composition, spelling/vocabulary and mathematics.

For 7th and beyond, it would be composition in relation to research, the hard sciences, advanced mathematics and cultural literacy (being aquainted with literature, history and such).

What do you think? What is it for you?:)

Starting with math, phonics, and penmanship.

Then math, reading, writing

Once those are down, then we use them in context of other subjects - read, write and do math in relation to history and science.

If you don't have the basics or the core, then the rest of education is much harder than it should be.

For K-2, the essentials are reading, handwriting and arithmetic. I've learned that ds needs both phonics and sight reading and treat them as 2 subjects now, but that is very child specific so YMMV. I think you also need to include some reading aloud and exploration to foment an interest in learning, but the content is up to you. IMHO, that's what makes hsing so attractive.

For 3-5, I'd like to focus on reading comprehension, basic composition and arithmetic. The 3Rs, but at a higher level. At this age, kids should be exploring interesting topics more independently. The topic isn't as important as finding sources and using them to learn what you want.

I'm not sure what my view is of higher grade essentials right now, but I'm sure I'll get lots of good ideas from more experienced WTMers.

Interesting.

Grammar Stage:

Pre-writing skils:

Penmanship

Spelling

Narrations

Grammar

Writing;

Narratives

Arithmetic

Reading

Logic/Dialectical

Writing:

Compare and Contrast

Outlining

Spelling,

Grammar

Logic

Arithmetic

Reading

and analysis.

Rhetoric:

Writing--all kinds, but mostly the persuasive essay.

Mathematics: Algebra, Geometry

Logic

Reading: The Classics

I want to give this some more thought!

So far, K-2, our core subjects are math and language arts (which for us is mostly Spell to Write and Read). We will be bumping up our Latin studies next year as we move into LCI as well as adding writing to our LA core.

Edited to add:

I also consider Bible and music (piano) core subjects for us. We do these daily along with the 3-R's.

I don't know about my younger girl yet, but for my oldest:

Elementary: history, math, 2nd language(s)

HS: science, history, math, literature, continue languages, writing skills (mainly integrated with other studies)

Not core, but essential: music, drawing, art & architecture appreciation

Not "school" but life: physical activities

Reading, writing, and math are our core subjetcs. We are covering quite a bit of history in the context of reading (Sonlight Core 6) and writing (IEW history based writing lessons). Science has fallen by the way side. I think I am going to change our schedule next year and cover science during the summers from now on.

Personally, for Pre-K to 2nd grade I see the core as being phonics, math and penmanship.

For 3rd to 6th, it would be grammar/Latin, composition, spelling/vocabulary and mathematics.

For 7th and beyond, it would be composition in relation to research, the hard sciences, advanced mathematics and cultural literacy (being aquainted with literature, history and such).

I would modify your list slightly.

For k-2, I also try to add learning to observe and ask questions about observations for us to find answers to.

For 3-6, I would add emphasis to reading comprehension. (K-2 is learning to read, 3-5, actually, is learning to learn from reading.)

I would not add "hard science" until 8th.

Other than that, my list is basically the same as yours.

Like so many others... I view Reading (or Phonics), Grammar/Spelling/Writing (Penmanship), and Math to be "core." Especially in early grades. If we're having a particularly busy week we *only* focus on those subjects (in other words, art, music, history, science and Latin slide).

As my children mature, history, science and Latin will become more "core" art and music will always be extra subjects -- but always included (especially since we pay for lessons).

I don't disagree with your post.

I think that the absolute minimum is the old standard of "reading, writing, and arithmetic". I think that the "reading/writing" portion of this would also encompass the other areas of language arts, such as spelling and grammar; phonics for the early years, etc.

Christian schools would add in some sort of religious or Bible study on a yearly basis.

I think that in many schools, especially at the elementary levels, you see that things like geography, history, science, languages, art and music get offered once a week or twice a week, or sometimes only sporadically.

For me, it's all those things, LOL. Those things that get dropped out, at various times of year when we're hibernating or over-extended, include our language work and science work. Other than that, things pretty much get done on a regular, weekly basis.

Regena

Our core subjects are language arts (depending on age includes some combination of reading, writing, grammar, literature, vocabulary, spelling, handwriting, and Latin), math, history, and science.

Non-core subjects are things like art, music, and PE.