Menu

What's the point of Mind Benders?

mamato9

They're exercises for the brain, kind of like push-ups. The more they do them, the better they'll get at pulling essential information out of text. It will help with word problems in math. It will help with following complex directions in other subjects. It will help them learn to clean and organize their rooms! (just kidding)

My dd9 has just started doing them and at first I thought they were going to be too easy for her, but then I realised some of the things they were teaching. We're just doing the "Warm-up" one but I love the fact that she's having to learn not to read into things. So many times, her answers go way beyond the facts and we have to talk about what she's assuming rather than what is actually stated. I think the whole being able to understand what something or someone is saying without adding all your own assumptions is such a great skill - I'm sure I'm completely lacking it.

My only concern, living in Australia, is how quickly she is going through one book, and how much it is going to cost us to keep ahead of her in books. I'm glad we've got more kids coming through to justify the expense - postage from America is so expensive for us. Sigh.

Jenny

The Critical Thinking Co has Mindbenders books for PreK-12+. I found the Warm up K-2 on clearance at the local teacher store and my 4 year old loves doing these! We do a couple of questions during our Circle Time and she often asks for more! (Actually, I pulled out the book to reply to this and she's begged her way through 4-5 questions while I typed [grin])

Would they be too much for 3rd grade?

Is an 8yo brain ready to start studying logic?

Depends on the brain! :D

My eight year old loves them too. She has begged and begged, so, I've decided to let her begin with A1 this week, now that her brother is finished. (He dragged his feet!)

By the by, we use a transparency and a marker over the grids and write down the answers. Still, I, too, would love some less expensive resources. I looked on-line one night but everything I found seemed way too advanced.