Menu

Cell phones for people w/disabilities

My father insists he needs a cell phone. He's not out alone much anymore (I'll post another time about the car keys battle, sigh). But I want him to feel like he can have the things he wants. God knows he worked hard for them.

I want to get him a pay per minute phone, I think. I really believe there's an excellent chance he will lose it. And I need one that is very easy to use - I would love one designed for people with disabilities - maybe something that I could program a few numbers into and he would just have to press one or two buttons to call. Even better, one that I could somehow get a name of the person onto the key. Put it this way, a lot of time he thinks the phone is the remote control and visa versa.

Does anyone have a recommendation? I know it's a long shot.

My father insists he needs a cell phone. He's not out alone much anymore (I'll post another time about the car keys battle, sigh). But I want him to feel like he can have the things he wants. God knows he worked hard for them.

I want to get him a pay per minute phone, I think. I really believe there's an excellent chance he will lose it. And I need one that is very easy to use - I would love one designed for people with disabilities - maybe something that I could program a few numbers into and he would just have to press one or two buttons to call. Even better, one that I could somehow get a name of the person onto the key. Put it this way, a lot of time he thinks the phone is the remote control and visa versa.

Does anyone have a recommendation? I know it's a long shot.

Have you seen the Jitterbug phone? It's not a pay by minute, but the plans are fairly cheap. They have one with just 3 buttons (operator, 9-1-1, and one programmable). It might do the job.

http://www.jitterbug.com/Phones.aspx