Menu

Here's a scenario I need input on...

Okay, my 16yodd wants to go to Cosmetology school. She has said for the last 2 years that she definitely wants to do this.

She has been working a day and a half/week at an office with oldest dd. Today she had an interview at a salon where she applied to wash hair. She got the job. They need her 3 days/week + Saturdays. They will have her washing hair, doing hand massages, mixing hair color, etc., all of which will be a plus for her when she does start school.

The place is much closer to our house (15 minutes versus an hour she was driving to her other job + traffic issues), which means she will get home earlier than before and have more time in the evenings to do school.

I guess I'm wondering if any of you would support this, looking at it as a sort of mentoring/training program for her future. She will keep up with her work by doing it Sunday evenings, Mondays, Tuesdays, and the evenings after work.

What are some opinions on this??

she is aiming a little low as far as goals, but I just want her to do what makes her happy. Though she is extremely smart and has lots of common sense, she does struggle with math and really doesn't have a lot of interest in school. I think her having a focus like this is great.

She has expressed an interest in going into a Radiology tech program as well, but says she wants to do that AFTER Cosmetology school, so she can cut hair on the side while going. That may never happen, but I don't see anything wrong with her doing this if it's what she wants to do with her life. It's something she can do at home if she gets a good setup, and she can be home with her kids and keep it up if she needs to.

I think it sounds wonderful. And not aiming low at all. She could eventually open her own shop, have others work for her. The mom of a friend in high school had her own shop across the street from their (very beautiful) home, and I'm telling you it was the place to be! All our moms had set weekly appointments, their favorite operators, etc. It was even better than Steel Magnolias.

And besides that she made a ton of money. And looked gorgeous all the time. And had beautiful nails......

Well, I know there are probably folks who think that she is aiming a little low as far as goals, but I just want her to do what makes her happy.

My grandma raised two boys on her own with her little beauty shop. My uncle, who made gazillions in real estate, was a college professor who spent his summers digging ditches--he liked to work outside! My Dad, who is retired, does mowing and maintenance at a golf course for the same reason (though I don't know how much time he spends at the club house :D).

Hopefully, no one will judge her by her career choice. That's pretty low.

This is such a great opportunity for her! How many kids go through college, and sometimes more, studying for a career that they find -- after all is said and done -- they hate it! I know a few lawyers that found themselves in that predicament.

This is a safe, great way for her to get her feet wet and see if it's really what she wants to do. Kewl beans!!

Okay, my 16yodd wants to go to Cosmetology school. She has said for the last 2 years that she definitely wants to do this.

I guess I'm wondering if any of you would support this, looking at it as a sort of mentoring/training program for her future. She will keep up with her work by doing it Sunday evenings, Mondays, Tuesdays, and the evenings after work.

What are some opinions on this??

should school work suffer significantly or you realize she is completely wiped out (unlikely since it's something she would enjoy and she is young) I would tell her to cut back hours. I always stress that school work is most important still.

What a great opportunity though! Congratulations.

In our area, there are restrictions in place and homeschoolers are thus unable to work during 'school' hours. It doesn't prevent places of business from hiring kids because they don't always know the rules. I know a place that hired a teenager during school hours and told her to stay hidden from customers so they didn't know....no way would I have allowed that!

But if it's legal and she can (and does) keep up her schoolwork, it sounds reasonable. In our area kids can go to the cosmetology school at the junior college when they turn 16 so students take that route quite often.

Good for her that she knows what she wants to do!

she is aiming a little low as far as goals, but I just want her to do what makes her happy. Though she is extremely smart and has lots of common sense, she does struggle with math and really doesn't have a lot of interest in school. I think her having a focus like this is great.

She has expressed an interest in going into a Radiology tech program as well, but says she wants to do that AFTER Cosmetology school, so she can cut hair on the side while going. That may never happen, but I don't see anything wrong with her doing this if it's what she wants to do with her life. It's something she can do at home if she gets a good setup, and she can be home with her kids and keep it up if she needs to.

That was exactly my thoughts!! She can stay home with the kids while doing hair and have her own business. I say that is a great goal. The reason I say this is because I was going to go into Radiology which my goal was to eventually to become a Radiologist. Kids won out for me so I switched my major to business. When kids enter the picture everythign changes. (for the better in my case even though there is wishful thinking that I could have stuck it out). Even if she decides to go back for Radiology, it is still a great goal. She can work at nights and still be with her kids. Either way it is good!

Holly

I think it's great, & I often wished I'd done something *practical* in hs at least to get me through college w/ a job I liked.

Her interests may change as she gets older, but somebody mentioned that this would be a great way for her to see if she enjoys this before she invests the time & money in school. Absolutely!

I hope she has fun & learns a lot!