Menu

Homeschooling in Alabama

There may be a move in our future...to Birmingham, Alabama. We lived there a few years ago when my kids weren't of school age.

Are there a lot of homeschoolers in Alabama??? Is there a lot of homeschool support...groups, co-ops, classes (like PE)?

We currently live in Florida...and there is a TON of stuff for kids. Aquarium classes, the Zoo, a great Science Museum, lots of park days, community classes (art, PE, cooking, wood carving...you name it)...I could go on and on! There are lots of homeschoolers in Florida...so we have lots of groups and friends to do things with.

So, let me hear from Alabama! I'm hoping there is lots to offer!!!

Well, Madison, if you want to be technical. :001_smile:

We're not in B'ham, so I can't give you specifics for that area, but around here ("up north") there are lots of us. I know there is a big group in the B'ham area that organizes trips and gatherings. They seem very active. If we weren't so far away, we'd join in on their outings. I'm sure there are other groups, too, but this one particular one caught my eye.

I think there is more to do in the B'ham area than where I am, simply due to the size of the city. More museums, the zoo, etc. I know the zoo has homeschool days/camps, and I'm sure other local attractions do, as well. Also, B'ham is about 1 1/2 - 2 hours from Huntsville, and we have the U.S. Space and Rocket Center here...another great field trip opportunity. There are other educational stops here, as well--Early Works Museum, Burritt Museum, Sci-Quest hands-on museum, and a few others.

Anniston has a Natural History Museum that's great, and next to that is a world history museum that has weapons and collections from througout the ages---including a brush set that belonged to Napoleon and a Damascus steel sword that's out of this world. I was REALLY impressed with their collections, as was my dh and my dc. Like most museums, you can print out worksheets to have the kids fill out as they go through. My dc enjoyed doing those at both those museums.

And, don't forget how close you will be to Montgomery (and even Atlanta---talk about a great aquarium visit!!)....great field trip potential there!

AFAIK, you can't participate in public school programs (at least not here, but I think that's a statewide thing), so PE is of your own doing. This can be good and bad. While we can't join in on things like band and art classes, we also don't have any educational or testing regulations from the state, so it's a double-edged sword.

Support....tons...from other hsers. From the community?....depends. Here I find a definite "us vs. them" mentality, so there isn't a lot of 'community' support. I can't find a school (public or private) who will allow hsers to take AP tests or the PSAT. I would hope that in B'ham you would have more availability there.

I'm not sure what else you are hoping for. If you have more specific questions, let them fly. I'm sure someone from the B'ham area will pipe in!

(the other) Heather in Al

Hello from B'ham

there are lots of activities for home school

YMCA PE classes

McWane Science Center

Birmingham Zoo

University Coops

traditional coops

Birmingham Art Museum

There are plenty of activities and groups for home school

The public school system is not friendly to home school.

There is a bill that has floated around for a couple years trying to get us assess to PS PE, music, etc.

I don't think it will ever pass. The Alabama legislature is heavily lobbied/owned by our teachers union.

There is not even a home school law. We home school as a church school.