Menu

Any one used WP Sea & SKy w/ Older Learner's Guide?

RhondaM.

I'm thinking of using this as sort of a fun add on to the main history and science we will be doing next year.

In the works for next year:

TQ R&R for my 7th grader

Some sort of World Geography for my 10th grader

and Classical Astronomy Signs and Seasons for both of them.

Winter Promise Sea and Sky looks like fun. But it is expensive!

Can I please get some reviews on this ...ESPECIALLY if you've used it along with the Older Learners Guide.

Do you think a couple of older boys would have fun with this? (I really need to work on relationships with my older son and put some joy back into our lives and learning....fun projects might be just the key.)

:) Thanks.

We are using it this year with the OLG. I have two boys 14 and 15 and they are loving it so far. However I adding quite a bit to it but we are tweakers here any way. The OLG has a book list for reading by older learners however I wish it contained a bit more classic works. I have added in some like The Old Man and the Sea , Captain Courageous, .... and then compared the classic book with the movie. I might add in Billy Budd and have the boys listen to Focus on the Family Radio Theater version of it.

My dh and sons spent Saturday night sleeping on a WWII sub with their BSA troop and loved it. My sons are also working on BSA merit badges that dovetail with S&S, astronomy, weather, ect... Next week we will compare the German sub at the Museum of Science and Industry to the US one they just spent two days on. We may spend a weekend night on a tall ship on lake Michigan in June. Of course we will do the Shed Aquarium in Chicago at some point. I hadn't thought much about field trips in the last couple of years but there seems to be a few good ones for S&S even in the midwest :D and my boys so far are pump about the trips.

I did not buy the whole program from WP. I owned several of the books already and bought some along the way. I originally thought I could get by with just the OLG but all the documentaries and websites are listed in the regular guide so I ended up buying both. Our family has really enjoyed the documentaries and they have added quite a bit to our knowledge of the history of the ship. The History and History International Channels play the all most all of the documentaries in a four month loop. So if you do not have channel see if you can added it to the budget for 4 months and record them. The entire Great Ship series on History International have been a big hit here and really added to the learning.

This has been one of our best years hsing. If you have anymore questions about S&S I will try and answer :cool:

Blessings,

Rebecca

We don't own a TV, but maybe we can find some IMAX films and check out some documentaries or something. We are near Galveston and can go to Moody Gardens...we have the Houston Planetarium and some observation centers to explore too. I'm sure we can find some great field trips around here.

What do you think about the extra writing projects in the OLG? What about the projects? Are there enough to interest older kids?

Do you think I could JUST buy the Sea and Sky Guide, the OLG, and the consumables then?

Is the guide divided up into units: Sea, Sky, Astronomy (or something similar) so that I could purchase a unit at a time?

What do you use for your main writing? Do you use WP? Or something else. My older son (currently doing CW) would love the idea of the mystery writing project that goes along with HS2 Creating Captivating Fiction.

Thanks very much for your reply!

Well Ronda it is a small world :D I used to live in Houston. I attended TBC (part of the UPC) in the late 70s and then worked at and went to school at Texas Heart Institute. I had a summer apartment half way between Houston and Galveston. Worked for Finger Furniture while at TBC heard they are long gone now. Been awhile since I thought about that chapter in my life.

OK to S&S the OLG has a weekly choices for writing it also has long term hands on projects that are to take 3 weeks to accomplish. There are usually two choices for writing length to be gaged on where the child is in writing along with mapping and time line work.

Here is week 3's list of the above items;

Hands on: Build a Shop Box Ship

Creative: Draw a Detailed cross-Section of a Ship

People Related: Meet with an Experienced Captain

Geeked up: Create a Computer Model of Eratosthenes' Method of Measuring the Earth.

The above is the list of 3 week projects and the child is to pick one. More details on the projects are in the OLG and some are pretty in depth.

Writing choice for week 3 are

Queen Hatshepsut's reign and trading ambitions

or

Phoenicians at sea.

Mapping is the Phoenician trade routes and there are 6 time line figures to place. Some weeks there are 3 choices for writing I just picked a random week to list for you.

Some of the books from the main guide that are not in the OLG have been enjoyed by my boys like Tools of Navigation. One that probably should not be missed.

The program is 18 weeks ship/ocean, 9 weeks flight part of which is weather and space then 9 weeks of the Galileo and the space race. I am buying for what I need for week 19-24 now and we are still in the ships 18 weeks.

Well my boys are twice exceptional in that they have LD issues along with high IQs and writing is the last area we have remediated. So for writing this year we are using Jump in and my boys are enjoying it. Last year we used Writing Strands which was loathed by my boys.

Hope this makes sense.

Blessings,

Rebecca

Well Ronda it is a small world :D

Yes it is!

Thanks very much for your help. I really want to do this program. And if I can buy it a little at a time that would be perfect!

It looks like I'd need to start with:

Guide book

OLG

Make Your Own Captain's Log

Once that was delivered I could figure out what else was needed. My library would probably have quite a bit. I could make use of them as long as I didn't need it for more than 4 weeks or so.

Thanks again!

You will want their time line figures as they are a big part of the program. If it is a pich I would drop the Captian's Log in favor of the time line figures. I bought the guide, OLG, Captain's log, time line book one for each boy and the figures. My boys are keeping their Captain's log, maps, writing in their time line books.

Blessings,

Rebecca

You will want their time line figures as they are a big part of the program. If it is a pich I would drop the Captian's Log in favor of the time line figures. I bought the guide, OLG, Captain's log, time line book one for each boy and the figures. My boys are keeping their Captain's log, maps, writing in their time line books.

Blessings,

Rebecca

Thanks!

I originally thought I could get by with just the OLG but all the documentaries and websites are listed in the regular guide so I ended up buying both.

Rebecca,

I have ONE more question! Since we do not have a TV we will not make use of the documentaries anyway.

What are the websites about? I mean, are they instructions on how to do activities or just extra information about the focus of study? In other words...do you think we could do without the main guide? Or do they need these websites for something like research topics?

Thanks yet again.

The main guide has the schedule for books not in the OLG, Tools of Navigation and Sailors, Whalers, & Fantastic Sea Voyages. Some of the books in the main guide can be dropped due to the ages of your boys but many are good and can be read independently by your sons or at least that is how I am doing it. The main guide also has a several time-line games some of which require time line cards and the main guide has several pages of these cards that can be copied plus a black line master for a board game to learn the time line with. My boys like the WP Jeopardy type game. I suppose that you could get away with not using the main guide but I seem to use both guides at least once a week. The OLG I hand off to my boys and I check the main guide to see if I need to add on other readings.

As far a the links for websites go some are already gone or have changed and I check every one before I let my boys go to the site. They do add to the program but I suppose that S&S could be done using only the OLG only but you would lose sites like this http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/antarctica/ipix/ or this site http://web.archive.org/web/20041011174727/www.studyworksonline.com/cda/content/explorations/0,,NAV2-5_SEP118,00.shtml which has the info needed for one of the writing assignments for week 3 on Queen Hatshepsut and I could not find this info any place else on the web. However the link addy listed in the main guide for studyworksonline had changed to the one I linked you to above. This link loads very slowly on my puter but the whole site has added quite a bit to our study.

What you might want to do is order the main guide thumb through it and if it looks like a bust for your family send it back. I will add this that I will not buy a guide from WP again for many reasons. Next year we will do TQ middle ages with Lit Lessons from Lord of the Rings along with the Teaching Company Lectures on C.S. Lewis. I found S&S to be unique in subject content not cover as in depth by any other hs curriculum. I hope that it has increased the enjoyment of books like Moby Dick, The Old Man and the Sea, Sea Wolf, and even Voyage of the Dawn Treader, ect.... by adding background info about ship, navigation, the age of sail, oceanography, ect...... While giving a bit different perspective of world hist through a maritime lens. I know it sure has ignited a passion for British Naval history and the Napoleonic War here with my oldest son. All the other subjects at WP can be found in many other programs. I think the commentaries in TQ to be excellent and the price for a TQ guide to be very reasonable.

One book you might want to add to S&S and it is not listed in any of the guides is Voyages that Changed the World by Peter Aughton ISBN 1847241468 My boys have enjoyed this book and think that C.S. Lewis must have been familiar with Saint Brendan's voyage due to the parallels with his voyage and Lewis' Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

Hope this was of help.

RC

Next year we will do TQ middle ages with Lit Lessons from Lord of the Rings

RC

My 6th grader is doing TQ MA this year and it has been very enjoyable!

We plan to continue with TQ, using TQ R&R as out main history next year. Or did I mention that already. My oldest wants to do Literary Lessons from LOTR and it looked like it might fit in well with S&S. Or he just may read the series without the Literary Guide. I'm all up in the air for next year. My 6th grader loves history, so no matter what I plunk down in front of him he will be happy with. My older son is going to be harder. And I so much want him to have a good year. We are doing SL 100 this year and he is so uninterested.

Oh well. I've got plenty of time. I'll check into the books you mentioned and look over the websites and probably order both guides. I have a 1st grader this year...so I could very easily use this again in a few years.

Thanks for being so helpful and patient with me. :)

Rhonda,

One last tid bit there is a lot of mapping in the program. I did not buy WP's maps because I already owned the cds of Uncle Josh Outline Maps and Knowledge Quest Outline maps. If you do not own any maps or map cds you might want to think about either buying a cd or WP map sets.

The Voyage book I mentioned is a neat history type book that you 6th grade will probably enjoy. The ship history book that WP recommends in OLG is more of a history for engineers type history book. My oldest son and I find it dull :o here except for my engineering/math type 14 who really likes to know :D that in the year 1000 a minor adjustment was made to ship hulls which allowed the ship to......... The voyage book has really appealed to my lit dreamer history type older son.

Good luck I hope your sons love it as much a mine have.

Blessings,

Rebecca

Rhonda,

One last tid bit there is a lot of mapping in the program. I did not buy WP's maps because I already owned the cds of Uncle Josh Outline Maps and Knowledge Quest Outline maps. If you do not own any maps or map cds you might want to think about either buying a cd or WP map sets.

Good luck I hope your sons love it as much a mine have.

I own KQ maps and I'm still eyeing the WP maps. They are really pretty. My 6th grader would love them.

Thanks for the extra tips. I don't know if I will get this or not. It looks good...but....I'll have to do some more research I think. I'll probably check out some of the books from my library and see what the reading material and experiments look like. They really need to be both doable and worthwhile or they won't get done.

Anyway, thank you once again for all your help.