Menu

What will (or do) your grandchildren call you?

My kids call my parents Mimi and Poppy (they felt they were too young for grandma and grandpa LOL). They call my grandparents Nana and Pop-Pop because that's what I call both sets of my grandparents. And they call DH's parents New Nana and Pap (per his request). And they call his stepmom Grandma.

I have not thought about that. I will be pretty old when I have grandchildren. I'll wait to see how I feel about it then. I don't like the memaws, gammy's or what not. Nana was my 93 year old grandmother, oh wow she was only in her 50's when she was "nana"....:001_huh:, and an Oma for my 84 year old grandma, she was only 40. My mom was 39 when she was "grandma". Geesh I thought they were always old they were pretty much my age..... sorry for the rambling thoughts but it just dawned on me how young my grandparents and parents were when they became grandparents I will be close to 60 by the time I have to think about it.

My mom is Grammy when they're being sweet...Grampy when they're wanting something... my children's kids...we've decided:-) will call me Nana and I guess Papa for my husband and my parents will be Grammy and Grampy...or Grampa..and Oops...forgot that they'll have their bio mom..what should she be called? hmmm

Course....kids decide for themselves...and Then they'll have another set of g-parents on the other side.

I ,too, hope that g-kids are a long way away....My oldest is 16...so at least 8 years??

Carrie:-)

We're crazy here.

I called both sets of grandparents Grandma & Grandpa. Dh called his grandparents Grandma & Grandpa.

My kids call both sets of grandparents Grandma & Grandpa (they call my Grandma-their great-grandma-Goochie. I told you we were crazy.).

I assume that the 20 or so ;) grandkids we're gooing to have are going to call us Grandma & Grandpa.

Well, we have (had) 1 Nonny, a Nana, a Nonna, and a Granny. 1 Poppy, 1 Grandpa, and 1 Grandpaw (it is very important to ennunciate the Paw).

I've already decided I will be called MiMi or GiGi. I don't know what dh wants to be called. He probably won't care as long as they call him it often.:)

Well, my oldest is only 8.5 so I expect (hope) we're still a ways off. They call my parents Grandma and Grandpa. They call dh's parents Mimaw and Plum-Plum. Plum-Plum is what my 2yo started calling him and it stuck. Before that he was Cowpie (which was dh's idea). :tongue_smilie:I think Plum-Plum is sweeter. :)

ETA: My own grandparents were Grandma and Grandpa, with the exception of my dad's dad: He is "Papa Tom". :)

My grandmother wanted to be called Granny, but I (oldest grandchild) couldn't say that and it came out Drindy. 20+ grandchildren and greatgrandchildren later and she's still Drindy.

My mom wanted to be called LuLu, but my daughter (oldest grandchild) couldn't say that and she became ShaSha.

I have no idea what I'd like to be called, but I imagine my first grandchild will make up something special just for me.

My sister's children call me Aunt Lolly and I really like that.

My parents got their monikers based on what other names were already in use.

My grandmother was still around, actively involved with my children, and already called Grandma. So my mother became Grammy (after briefly trying to convince a toddler to say Grandmary - ha!).

My Grandma became that because her mother was already Nana.

My father's father was still alive and already Grandpa, so Dad became Grandad. Dad is much more of the casual type of person grandad conjures up, anyway.

I'm partial to Gran, myself. Sounds like it could be dignified and wise, and I'm hoping to achieve at least one of those adjectives by the time I'm a grandparent. My partner wants to be a zeideh but I'm not sure the kids will consent.

Edited by dragons in the flower bed

I didn't want my daughter to call my mom grandma or granny or any of the usuals so I devised a plan: we'd call her grandmother and then when my daughter would try to say "grandmother" she wouldn't be able to and would say something cute instead. Then, we'd call her grandmother that cute thing. As it turned out, my daughter wouldn't even try to call her anything until a fully formed "grandmother" came out. we call her grandmother now.

My parents got their monikers based on what other names were already in use.

My grandmother was still around, actively involved with my children, and already called Grandma. So my mother became Grammy (after briefly trying to convince a toddler to say Grandmary - ha!).

My Grandma became that because her mother was already Nana.

My father's father was still alive and already Grandpa, so Dad became Grandad. Dad is much more of the casual type of person grandad conjures up, anyway.

I'm partial to Gran, myself. Sounds like it could be dignified and wise, and I'm hoping to achieve at least one of those adjectives by the time I'm a grandparent. My partner wants to be a zeideh but I'm not sure the kids will consent.

Why couldn't you call both grandparents the same thing? I called my grandparents "Grandma Lastname and Grandma Otherlastname" To their faces I just called them grandma. My dc would have done the same thing except mil didn't want to be called grandma so she is Mom-Mom, which confuses my 5 yo - there isn't much difference between "mommy" and "mom-mom".

Our youngest was just two and a half when we became grandparents. I did not want my own children calling me Granny or Grandma. I informed them all that I would be Nana to the littles since it is similar to my own name anyway. The funny thing is that the grands call me "Mom" more than anything since that is what they hear. Dh is Dad, Daddy, or Grandaddy. My parents are Grandma & Grandpa, Dh's are Grandmother & Grandaddy, GiGi is what Great-Grandmother would like the kids to say. Our German-born grand is so cute when she says Nana or Oma for her other grandmother :)

I didn't want my daughter to call my mom grandma or granny or any of the usuals so I devised a plan: we'd call her grandmother and then when my daughter would try to say "grandmother" she wouldn't be able to and would say something cute instead. Then, we'd call her grandmother that cute thing. As it turned out, my daughter wouldn't even try to call her anything until a fully formed "grandmother" came out. we call her grandmother now.

:lol: OK, that's just funny. Even the best laid plans...

Very cute story!! I have no idea what my grandchildren will call me, and I refuse to think about it. :D

When I was 20 mo. old, I called my both my grandmothers "Rack-ack" and both my great-grandmothers "Mack-ack." For some reason, my dad's very precise mom decided this was unacceptable. While my mother was on the phone with my dad (for about an hour, as he was deployed), my grandmother took me into a back room and taught me to say "grandma." She evidently kept at it over and over until I gave in and was very proud of herself, though my mom thought she was ridiculous.

Somehow, it was "adorable" when my little sister called grandma "Bom-Bom" however! :001_huh: I blame the cute blonde curls for helping her get away with it!

My dad calls himself Dzadek (possibly not spelled right!) because he thinks it's cooler than any of the traditional English speaking alternatives. His father, who was actually Polish, went by Grandpa. So maybe I'll be Babcia just to be cool as well. I don't feel like a Nan and Grandma has been a bit spoiled for me because that's what my MIL calls herself, even though I liked my own Grandma.

Rosie

My mother and MIL are both Grandma. FIL is Pop-pop and my dad is Pepe (PEPay). (Is there a way to add accents?) No idea what my husband has in mind, but I will be a Meme. (MEMay) That's what I called my paternal great-grandmother, I would have called my grandmother the same, but I never knew her - time to bring back Meme.

I'm rather fond of the Little Bill great-grandma, Alice the Great. Might have to adopt that when there are greats. If I can remember it then, that is.:D

I plan on being Oma and DH, Opa.

My parents are Oma and Opa, and my father's parents were Oma and Opa. . .and while my father's parents were indeed German, I came up with the name for them when we arrived back from Germany (Daddy was military) and his mother reminded me of my babysitter who I called Oma (cuz all her grandkids did).

My husband's family are Grandma / Grandpa "first name", but the great-grandparents are Grandma / Grandpa "last name".

Which is just fine, as it leaves my "Grandma" as exactly that.

I have no idea what I'd like to be called, but I imagine my first grandchild will make up something special just for me.

:iagree:

ER was the first grandchild for dh's parents. My MIL couldn't decide what she wanted to be called, but when ER was very little, he started calling her Mimi. My FIL wanted to be Papa. They are Mimi & Papa to 10 grandchildren now.

My dad wanted to be Pa. My sister wanted her kids to call my mom Granny, but her littlest boy couldn't say Granny. It came out Noni (long O sound) instead, so now my mom is Noni to 4 grandchildren and 1 great-grandchild.

Edited by ereks mom

Geesh I thought they were always old they were pretty much my age..... sorry for the rambling thoughts but it just dawned on me how young my grandparents and parents were when they became grandparents I will be close to 60 by the time I have to think about it.

Me too. But I'll be 49 this year, so 60 is looking a little closer than it used to! :)