Menu

Wow! No power since Tuesday evening--and still waiting!

I can't imagine being without power that long. I hope it comes on soon.

That brings up a question I have. What do people do who don't have a fireplace or a generator? If that ever happened to us we would have to go live with family until our power came back on but it worries me if it was widespread.

We have a wood stove, so we're heating with that. I think some people are using kersosene heaters. We run the generator about three times a day to keep the deep freezers and fridge cold, plus we charge cell phones and computers with it. We also use it to run the microwave, coffee pot, toaster, and lamps. We use a oil lamp for light when the generator is not on.

It is taxing though. Each day I wear down just a bit more. In Ky they are saying that over 700,000 people were without power, and it may be around the middle of the month before it all gets turned back on. Hopefully we won't have to wait that long, but we are pretty far out in the country and probably not a high priority. We are, however, about 1 mile from the elementary school, so maybe we'll get power when they power up the school. Schools have been out since last week. It is amazing.

We did some school last week, and we'll do some this week, but I don't see a whole lot getting done--things are just too topsy-turvy.

We have a wood stove, so we're heating with that. I think some people are using kersosene heaters. We run the generator about three times a day to keep the deep freezers and fridge cold, plus we charge cell phones and computers with it. We also use it to run the microwave, coffee pot, toaster, and lamps. We use a oil lamp for light when the generator is not on.

It is taxing though. Each day I wear down just a bit more. In Ky they are saying that over 700,000 people were without power, and it may be around the middle of the month before it all gets turned back on. Hopefully we won't have to wait that long, but we are pretty far out in the country and probably not a high priority. We are, however, about 1 mile from the elementary school, so maybe we'll get power when they power up the school. Schools have been out since last week. It is amazing.

We did some school last week, and we'll do some this week, but I don't see a whole lot getting done--things are just too topsy-turvy.

O, Tracy! I'm so sorry. We lost power for a week from a massive storm. I know what you mean about wearing down a bit more. I felt that way, esp. at night. Days were OK but as soon as the sun set, I felt more 7 more awful.

You all have my prayers!

O, Tracy! I'm so sorry. We lost power for a week from a massive storm. I know what you mean about wearing down a bit more. I felt that way, esp. at night. Days were OK but as soon as the sun set, I felt more 7 more awful.

You all have my prayers!

Yes--nights are tough. After we turn the generator off, it is so DARK!

I'm going offline now. I'm going to quickly heat some water in the microwave for dish washing before it is time to power down the generator.

Ugh...I feel your pain. We lost our power late Tuesday night and got it back on late Friday afternoon. Living on a military installation, we had no generator or kerosene heater. It was c.o.l.d. in our house. We considered going to a shelter, but the on-post shelters were full. Thankfully, they let my husband stay home with me until our power came back on. It was taxing trying to occupy 5 kids. Well, they did occupy themselves...I should say it was taxing listening to all of the noise they made. HA! I hope your power comes back on soon!

Sorry to hear you are without power. I just posted this on another board...

Our area of Arkansas got hit pretty hard too. We were without power and/or internet from Tuesday through Friday. My son's classes at the university as well as all the area schools were closed for the week. We had a tree come down during the storm and land on our garage, which is where DH's office is. He was at his desk and jumped @ 3 feet LOL . Thankfully it didn't do any real damage. The last few days have been warm and I think most of the ice is melted and that everyone has power again except a few isolated spots.

Sorry to hear you are without power. I just posted this on another board...

Our area of Arkansas got hit pretty hard too. We were without power and/or internet from Tuesday through Friday. My son's classes at the university as well as all the area schools were closed for the week. We had a tree come down during the storm and land on our garage, which is where DH's office is. He was at his desk and jumped @ 3 feet LOL . Thankfully it didn't do any real damage. The last few days have been warm and I think most of the ice is melted and that everyone has power again except a few isolated spots.

Thank God your dh is OK!

We're in Ky too, just south of Louisville. We lost power Wednesday morning, but it came back on before bedtime that night. We didn't have a fireplace, generator, or anything. We just planned to put on pleny of layers of clothes and use several blankets each.

I'm so sorry you're still dealing with this. My brother and sister-in-law have been several days without electricity too.