Menu

The recent post on literature studies makes me nervous.....

Shasta Mom

(sorry about the bold - I can't undo it?) I, too, have been worried about reading enough literature, and whether we are missing the boat. I admire the reading lists of SL and AO, although I don't completely understand how they are done and how people have enough time. Are the books discussed and analyzed formally? What I have been requiring as far as reading are: 1) the daily selection in the Elson Reader. Sometimes these are simply a poem, or a longer story that may take 15 minutes or so, and 2) SOTW (II), the corresponding UIHE selections, and usually some of the books mentioned in the AG. Lots of these AG-recommended books are very brief, and geared to kids younger than my almost 10 ds. I then let my son read what he wants (within my guidelines) to hopefully foster a love of reading. Then, I also read to him quality literature at bedtime (our read-alouds). I've listed our read-alouds and my son's self-read books below. We're about to start a new read-aloud (tonight) and I have Pyle's and Sutcliffe's King Arthur, and Beorn the Proud but I think the K.A.'s may take too much time. We only read for 1/2 hr at night, and looking at these two books, it looks like a couple of months. I'm also cautious about what one poster admonished about wasting a great book on someone too young. So, I guess I have 2 questions:

Given that we're at a little over 1/2 way through grade 4, do I need to make ds read more required literature, and formally discuss/analyze it -at the expense of his choices? (or am I on the right track?)

And, at almost age 10 is it necessary to slog through these heavy Pyle/Sutcliffe King Arthur books? (BTW - I love Sutcliffe's shorter novels, i.e., Black Ships Before Troy, Wanderings of Odysseus, Beowulf)

Thanks for listening - I would love some advice.....I'm biting my nails.....:001_huh:

Fourth Grade Read-Alouds to date

• The Railway Children by E. Nesbit
  • Water Babies by Charles Kingsley - in progress
  • Sir Gawain and the Green Knight by Michael Morpurgo
  • Beowulf by Rosemary Sutcliffe
  • Otto of the Silver Hand by Howard Pyle
  • The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald
  • Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien
  • Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink

icon18_wrench_allbkg.png Fourth Grade Self-Read Books to date

• Warriors - The New Prophecy - Midnight
  • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - in progress
  • Warriors Book 6 - The Darkest Hour
  • Warriors Book 5 - A Dangerous Path
  • Warriors Book 4 - Rising Storm
  • Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
  • Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
  • The Adventures of King Midas by Lynne Reid Banks
  • Harry the Poisonous Centipede by Lynne Reid Banks
  • Holes - Louis Sachar
  • Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher
  • The Monster's Ring
  • Warriors Book 3 - Forest of Secrets
  • Warriors Book 2 - Fire and Ice
  • Aliens Ate My Homework
  • Danny Champion of the World
  • Hardy Boys - Hunting For Hidden Gold
  • Hardy Boys - The Ghost at Skeleton Rock
  • Matilda
  • George's Marvelous Medicine
  • The Phantom Tollbooth
  • Huckleberry Finn (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde (Great Illustrated Classics) - decided it wasn't for him
  • The Time Machine (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Mutiny on the Bounty (great Illustrated Classics)
  • Robinson Crusoe (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Bridge to Terabithia-decided midway to save as a read-aloud and discuss

Given that we're at a little over 1/2 way through grade 4, do I need to make ds read more required literature, and formally discuss/analyze it -at the expense of his choices? (or am I on the right track?)

And, at almost age 10 is it necessary to slog through these heavy Pyle/Sutcliffe King Arthur books?

When you say "slog," does that mean that your son doesn't understand and enjoy these books? If so, then yes, you need to analyze and discuss it, at least enough for him to get these stories. They're very exciting stories that a kid who likes Warriors should love -- they have all the same character types and plot elements. If he doesn't like them, I'd guess that's because he doesn't understand them. You want to get him to a point where he understands, and to do that, you have to stop and say, "What does that mean?" when his eyes glaze over. So, yes, I guess, that would be analysing them.

ETA - Analysing a book is not some mystical process that you do for it's own sake. It's like adding spices to cooking. It's simply stopping to get the most meaning out of each part of the book. You can use a dictionary, the internet, Cliff's Notes, the knowledge of a professor, the knowledge of a friend or parent, or your own logic.

I guess by "slog" I meant that both Pyle's KA and Sutcliff's trilogy look very long, and I think at 1/2 hr a day it may take a couple months to finish them.

As far as understanding them, I think he would, because we've read shorter Pyle and Sutcliffe before which we LOVED. (They are above his reading level, though). I'm concerned that if I chose either of these that could take a long time to finish, we'll sacrifice other great reads due to time constraints.

Also, do you think I should give him more required reading, that we would discuss, and tell him only after those are read that he can read warriors, etc? I honestly don't know what to do......:bigear:

I guess by "slog" I meant that both Pyle's KA and Sutcliff's trilogy look very long, and I think at 1/2 hr a day it may take a couple months to finish them.

Oh! That's a horse of a different color. Do you have a long-term great books plan?

My plans involves reading aloud and discussing:

- in K-3rd, adapted or picture book versions of literary masterpieces that correspond to our history cycle

- in 4th-7th, young adult versions of the same great books, this time from authors such as Sutcliff & Pyle

- in 8th-12th, the same literary masterpieces in the original.

I don't read aloud more than once a day because I have a totally messed up jaw that will hurt like mad if I do. I want to read aloud the books we're discussing/analysing/dissecting/studying so that I can see on their faces how the kids react.

My kids listen to fun books (like Warriors or Judy Blume or the Railway Children, anything that's not a "Great Book" that corresponds to our history area) on audio CD, or read them independently as soon as they're able. I don't discuss those with my children, but my older two (11 and 8) have GoodReads accounts and review their fun books there. I don't edit their reviews, but sometimes I help with prompting questions like, "When did you understand the protagonist's goal?"

If you are talking about the thread that ballzy wrote, I just want to point out that she was talking about a 12yo in 7th grade. Your son is younger than that. I wouldn't worry too much! :D

I don't know....my oldest is almost 11, so I'm not that much ahead of you. But my opinion is that lit. study at the younger ages does not have to be filled with guides and worksheets, etc.. And I read someone's notes online recently, notes that were taken during a lecture SWB did somewhere, about lit. study. It made me feel so much better, because the impression I got was that grammar stage is for introducing classic stories through adaptations (and writing short narrations about them - so in this process, you are "discussing lit." with your kids - not too hard, eh?). Then logic stage was for LEARNING to analyze stories, using a few questions that aren't too hard to use (translation in my mind is that it'll take me grades 5-8 to learn how to lead ds through thinking about the story a little more in depth, but four years is a good long time). And that rhetoric stage is where you *introduce* the originals of the Great Books and lead them through one, two, and maybe 3 stages of analyzing them via TWEM. The notes I read said that SWB said it's a time for a brief handshake with the Great Books - if you teach them the process of analyzing them, with books they enjoy, then ideally they'll go on through life to think more deeply about books they choose to read.

I also don't think it's necessary to "slog" through books at this young age - there are too many good books out there to enjoy on lit./history lists. My kids have tried books and given up on them, only to come around again a few years later and absolutely adore them. Dd8 LOVES Doctor Doolittle books now, whereas a year ago, she had no interest in them - I tried ever so slightly to persuade her, but didn't push it. She went on our library website the other day and ordered them all, and I think it's just because she's older now.

I admire all those reading lists, too, but I definitely do not have time to read aloud all those books to my kids. So, I get them out of the library, have the kids take piles of books to their rooms every afternoon, and have them read. Once a week, they do a narration of one of them (usually their choice within my guidelines) with me. And many times, they will come and tell me about the other books they are reading, and thus, a "discussion" happens as part of life. I do read aloud in the evening, but it's not every book. They have read WAY more books than I ever could have read aloud. And this is the habit I want them to have. I'll teach them through the years how to think about what they're reading, but they already have a good base of stories in their minds.

hth

Edited by Colleen in NS

Thanks, to Colleen and Dragon. I guess I feel somewhat reassured, although still wonder if I should force some easier classics. Earlier this fall I gave ds The Witch of Blackbird Pond and he outright rejected it! After all the posts I read where folks said it was their family's favorite book, I was quite surprised.

I also punted last night, and started Beorn the Proud. I've got some shorter King Arthur and Robin Hood books on hold at the library, so maybe I can put off the decision to read Pyle/Sutcliff a litte longer.....

I'm curious, how long does Pyle's KA or RH take to read?

Don't worry about reading Sutcliff's longer works - it's not needed if you feel you will not enjoy it. I have them and NEVER read them - too much.

My dh read aloud Witch of Blackbird Pond when my oldest was in gr. 5 as part of SL 3/4 and they hated it (they did finish it).

I do read & discuss literature but not every book. We also use CLE reading (16 wk program/gr.) which is a reader/ workbook series that does the literary analysis, voc., comprehension, & more, and that covers everything for literature for us.

If you want a formal reading program, I recommend CLE reading. Here's what's included in grade 5:

SUNRISE READING 500 – Open Windows

LightUnit 501

Vocabulary words

Cause and effect

Identifying strong, active verbs

Describing story characters

Identifying similes

Defining words from context

Choosing facts to support a statement

Writing progressive degrees of a concept

Working with personification

Proving or disproving statements about a

story

Identifying and interpreting figures of

speech

Completing analogies

Inferring facts not directly stated

Understanding circumstantial evidence

and proof

Defining and using homographs

Understanding the term idiom

Interpreting common idioms

Answering five W questions

Numbering story events in order

Telling what story characters learned from

the way God worked

Listing traits of story characters

Working with rhythm and rhyme scheme

in poetry

LightUnit 502

Working with vocabulary words

Defining words from context

Understanding a proverb

Creating an alternate story title

Identifying character’s feelings

Identifying the most important event in a

story

Completing analogies that have more than

one correct answer

Understanding a nonverbal message

Predicting what happened after the story

Marking poetic rhythm

Using principle and principal

Scanning for answers or topics

Evaluating story characters’ actions

Identifying a story’s main lesson

Understanding the meaning of prejudice

and its foolishness

Identifying a biography

Defining foot as used in poetry

Identifying metrical feet in a poem

Thinking about race prejudice

Working with synonyms

Marking rhythm in a poem

LightUnit 503

Telling what could have happened

Identifying main ideas and summaries

Identifying a characters fears and hardships

Learning about other inventions of

Benjamin Franklin

Marking poetic rhythm and meter

Working with perfect and imperfect rhyme

Numbering unstated events in order

Identifying figures of speech

Defining and identifying metaphors

Finding evidence to support statements

Outlining a simple story plot

Explaining a figure of speech

Identifying metaphors, similes, and personification

Defining words from their context

Suggesting others whom the sinking of the

Titanic would have affected

Comparing a poem and a story

Identifying main ideas of paragraphs

Explaining the meanings of sentences

Understanding conflict, internal conflict,

and external conflict

Identifying areas of conflict in the story

LightUnit 504: Out in Nature

Identifying cause and effect

Identifying the story purpose and details

that further the story purpose

Working with guide words

Using the dictionary

Finding metaphors in the Bible

Defining biography

Identifying a metaphor in a poem

Scanning to locate facts

Writing an essay imagining he is Peter

walking on the water

Identifying a metaphor from the story

Marking the rhyme scheme of a poem

Writing another title for the story

Making a prediction

Categorizing natural resources

Naming reference books needed to find

answers to given questions

Identifying hints of how a character will act

Defining free verse

Identifying main ideas, story lessons, and

summaries of stories

Completing a poetic couplet

Reading about KJV Bible

Rewriting KJV phrases in modern English

Identifying characters, setting, external

and internal conflict in the story

Understanding a character’s actions

Imagining what might have happened

LightUnit 505

Working with vocabulary words.

Understanding story characters’ actions

and feelings

Working with main idea, story lesson, and

summary

Thinking about idle words

Working with personification

Making a simple outline of a story

Categorizing words

Explaining an idiom

Identifying emotions as shown by words

Interpreting figures of speech

Defining circumstantial evidence

Scanning for answers

Imagining details not given

Imagining story characters’ feelings and

explaining possible reasons for their

actions

Telling what might have happened

Identifying similes

Choosing exact, specific verbs to replace

weak ones

Learning the term epigram

Join the CLE yahoo group to see sample of CLE reading.

although still wonder if I should force some easier classics. Earlier this fall I gave ds The Witch of Blackbird Pond and he outright rejected it!

Have you read the Witch of Blackbird Pond? I think it's too old for a 9yo. I don't even want my almost 11yo to read it yet. Anyway, about easier classics, do you use the WTM lists for the ages of your kids? I have found them to be very helpful and plentiful. I've seen some other lists (like Sonlight) that have books that I think are too old for grammar stage kids (although I still use these other lists for reference to pick and choose from). I pretty much stick to the WTM lists of books and authors (you can reap a lot more by searching your library by author!) and have gotten tons of good books from it them.

Have fun with it, try not to stress! :)

One more idea - you could look into audio books for these longer ones that they could listen to in their play time, during chores, during meals. Then you can use your read aloud time for other books. And still schedule required reading time.

Perhaps you need to set aside more time than half an hour to read "for school" (not the fun stuff for escape and entertainment that they do on their own)? I think you are right and that is not enough time to read the harder stuff. As they get older, the time needs to increase. TWTM says 2 hours a day to read great books for high school, for example. I always customize the lists for my children, too. TWoBP, for example, deals with older subject matter and is for high school, in my opinion. I pick out ones I think my boys would have half a chance of enjoying, if possible.

Edited by Nan in Mass