Menu

Any great ideas on how to stop my pre-Ker from biting his fingernails?

My ds will be 4 at the end of the month. He has a terrible habit of biting his fingernails, and I don't know what to do to help him stop. He has visibly worn down his teeth already and looking at his nails makes me cringe! Sometimes, he cries because his fingernails hurt from what he's done to them, but that's not enough to make him stop.

I've tried some fingernail polish from the store that is supposed to stop you from biting your fingernails, but it had a bitter taste, not hot, so he really didn't care that much about it. I tried taping the ends of his fingers for a while, but the tape came off very easily.

Any brilliant ideas from those who have BTDT?

TIA!

My ds will be 4 at the end of the month. He has a terrible habit of biting his fingernails, and I don't know what to do to help him stop. He has visibly worn down his teeth already and looking at his nails makes me cringe! Sometimes, he cries because his fingernails hurt from what he's done to them, but that's not enough to make him stop.

I've tried some fingernail polish from the store that is supposed to stop you from biting your fingernails, but it had a bitter taste, not hot, so he really didn't care that much about it. I tried taping the ends of his fingers for a while, but the tape came off very easily.

Any brilliant ideas from those who have BTDT?

TIA!

Oh, how I wish there was an answer!

My husband and my older son are both nail-biters. The only time either one of them stopped biting is during the period when they were wearing braces.

My husband, however, started again just days after his braces came off. I suspect the same will be true for my older son when his braces are removed next month.

There's a product called "No-Bite" that we bought at WalMart in the fingernail polish aisle (similar to this, but a lot less expensive). It's a little shiny, but it works really, really well. One of my sons bit his nails so badly that he bit his nail clean off. We were pretty desperate for him to quit the habit. My son was a little older, and this might not work for a 4yo, but a financial incentive was also helpful, if he could make his nails look normal after 6 months. He did. :)

No-bite, rewards for not doing it, charts, distraction and total undivided attention to the problem from you and whoever else until it stops. I've had a couple kids with various thumb sucking, nail biting etc. habits and that is really what it is, a habit. Totally mindless response. Until that automatic response chain is broken he will keep going back to it. And honestly, he will probably find some other activity to replace it - all of my fidgeters have - they just need one less damaging and more socially acceptable.

We are going on our second month with no biting!!!!!

He was 8 by the time we figured it out; I was in tears towards the end because I thought he was doing permanent damage to his hands.

We finally decided that he would have to wear gloves just so they could heal. We told him over and over it was not a punishment but for his safety. We used lightweight cotton gloves and he had to wear them all the time; even to eat. This is just where we started and we didn't know how it would end. After 2 weeks of gloves ALL the time the habit was broke, for real!! We just needed something to break the habit. I wish we would have done it sooner.

good luck and blessings,

emerald