Menu

If you are getting a tax refund...

We're paying up bills mostly and putting some in savings. It is part of our "lay-off" plan.

Otherwise:

1) puppy getting fixed, cherry eye fixed and teeth fixed

2) buying a couple items I sell with LiveOps (discounted and write-off-able)

3) buying liquid stevia :)

4) getting a new windsheild for one vehicle

I WISH I could get my van fixed but....

What are you planning on doing with it? We got our federal on Friday :D and are having some much needed work done to our van and paid off some bills. I am also buying a few school things, but will do the rest of school shopping in March.

What are your plans? :)

Three things:

1. Paying off bills.

2. Putting a down payment on ds's braces

3. Paying for our four nights at the beach this summer:tongue_smilie:

That'll take care of our federal return, state return, and dh's yearly bonus.

Then it's back to life as usual.

It will go towards our family vacation the summer.

My husband's family has been going to a small resort in northern WI since his parents honeymooned there almost 50 years ago. Every summer they get a couple of cabins and spend a week or two fishing, hiking and hanging out. It's become a family tradition that no one wants to miss and some years it's the only time we can all get together.

I think we'll end up with a smallish refund. So we'll probably buy another bookcase (as if we don't have enough of them) and pay my oldest's co-op fee. Anything after that will go towards CC's. We normally are "pay in full" types, but had some unexpected bills.

Edited by GVA

Guest janainaz

We were first-time home buyers so we get the $7500 that we have to pay back over 15 years. We are taking it and sticking it in the bank in case my husband loses his job - which is a potential. Plus, he's not making the money he was due to the economy so we've been supplementing with our savings.

So, nothing fun, but no complaints here.

We're paying up bills mostly and putting some in savings. It is part of our "lay-off" plan.

:iagree:same here. Cash is King in this economy. Assests are getting harder to liquidate and potentially this could pay cobra benefits for a couple months. Or groceries, or house payment, or loan payment on dh's car. . . . you get the picture. :001_smile:

Otherwise:

1.) buy used pop-up camper

2.) pay off the loan on dh's car.

3.) put the rest towards the house loan.

Paying off one bill(then we will be debt free).

We need to buy some things for the kitchen, clothes and a few other items we need.

Curriculum for fall

I so badly want a Keurig Coffeemaker.

Maybe a new computer so we can have 2 online at one time(not sure yet).

Save some for vacation time.

Dd and I need to get an eye exam and new glasses(contacts for me). We do have insurance but it doesn't cover much.

Edited by Kristafish

dh wants a computer. his is over 5 years old and since it's his career, he will get money for that. the rest of the money is still undecided.

My list:

pay off piano(1500) and bug service(200)

pay someone to paint trim since dh had a year and never once thought about it even though I bought the supplies ;-)(estimating 1000)

Dh's list would include expensive shoes, a new unicycle, crap we don't need, etc ;-)

If we could I would go back to Disney with the extra money...there is a good chance dh will be changing jobs/losing his job this year and we know a paycut will happen...so any big trips would be out of reach.....

who knows exactly until it gets here. He allows me to decide the best place to use it....as long as he gets his computer :-)

We're sitting on ours. :glare:

We don't have any credit card debt, only a mortgage. ;)

Unfortunately subcontractors are laying off left and right where dh is currently working and you just never know IF and when you could be next....

In the past we have used the refund for home improvement projects...

Replace a windshield in one car; transmission in the van; if there's any after that, we're going to get all cash in small bills and just sleep in it. That's probably a much more fiscally responsible thing that what we'd really want to do which would be run around and spend it on things we do not need or want.

We pretty much arrange things so we don't get much of a refund, and we always spend every penny on paying off our student loans. Even when they sent out stimulus checks, we paid down my grad school debt with it. It felt amazing to pay off Dh's loan last year, even though it was hard to watch everyone around us out shopping with their refund money.

What are you planning on doing with it? We got our federal on Friday :D and are having some much needed work done to our van and paid off some bills. I am also buying a few school things, but will do the rest of school shopping in March.

What are your plans? :)

We have to have work done on our van, we will pay some bills, and I will buy some school things.

We always get a refund. Sigh.

Anyway, this year part will go to pay the second half of my herbalist course tuition. The rest... part will go to pay off debt, part will go to our vacation fund.

I'm starting to put curriculum in my monthly budget, and buying it a bit at a time.

We are getting a hefty amount - much to our surprise!

Haven't quite discussed it at length, but here's what I think:

1) Refund our depleted emergency fund

2) Pay for new brakes & rotors on our new van :glare:

3) Knock out 1 credit card, and over half of another

4) Save whatever's left for curriculum OR for whatever repairs we have to do when we get the list of demands from any buyer for our home :glare::glare:

I am so, SO thankful we are getting a refund this year. . . . .I can't even begin to tell you.

We are still waiting on a W-2! We always set aside the November property tax money first, then we usually pay an extra housepayment. Anything left is put in the bank to cover medical, rx, dental and other necessities. No big party here, but very happy to have the money back for our use :)

We thought we would have a smallish refund this year because we could no longer claim DD as a dependent child. But I discovered when figuring the taxes that she met the conditions for dependent relative this year (mainly because she didn't start her job till late in the year, so she didn't get near the income cut-off).

SO...a good bit more than we expected. Since we'd been saving for a new computer anyway, we decided to get that sooner than we planned.

The car is going to need some work soonish, so we'll put aside some extra for that in case it exceeds what we've got in the budget.

Besides that...I don't know. Emergency savings and pantry stocking? Yarn?:)

Putting it into savings which we are currently partially living off of until DH's business begins to bring in enough money to support us.

I can't believe you've gotten your refund already, though. We are still waiting for three tax documents that we haven't received.