Menu

dh wants to ditch out current vitamins due to cost

We're using melaleuca vits (don't get into a discussion on melaleuca please!), but since the buying and shipping is costing $94 a month for the 2 of us, he wants to cut those out and use something different.

This is what they have to say about the pack that we buy:

1. Vitality Multivitamin & Mineral™ Women’s—25 essential nutrients to enhance well-being, organically bound with patent-pending Oligofructose Complex™ for maximum mineral absorption and antioxidant protection.*

2. Vitality Calcium Complete™—4-source calcium blend plus magnesium, phosphorus, and vitamin D to help strengthen bones—organically bound with Oligofructose Complex to maximize mineral absorption.*

3. CellWise®—Broad spectrum of 11 antioxidants that provide protection from free radical damage, bolster the immune system, and fight cellular aging.*

4. Florify®—Two strains of probiotics to help improve the absorption of nutrients and maintain good digestive health.*

So I'd kind of like something (or several things) to replace the above that will cost less, much less, than $40 each. Or tell me why I don't need #3 and 4 on a daily basis.

Thanks!

I have been using the vitamins from Beeyoutiful. I don't know how much less the cost will be as it has been a while since I ordered. I am sure it is cheaper, and you most likely won't need to order each month.

http://www.beeyoutiful.com/

I know I had to finally drop Melaluca because of the shipping expense and the fact that I had to place an order each month. I was able to find good replacements. I still wish I could get their skin lotion for super dry skin. I have yet to find one as good.

Jennie

I am a big believer in vitamins. My kids take them and they are extremely healthy. I take them and I am much healthier than I was when I didn't take them. However, the best way to get your vitamins and nutrients is through excellent nutrition. Imo, excellent nutrition and a good multi-vitamin are all you need. I do supplement my kids with omega-3 and acidophilus, but I just take a multi and make sure I eat well.

I'd say, visit your local HFS and talk with the people there about a good multi-vitamin.

Tara

I get mine in the huge bottles from BJs. We are healthy. I would never spend significant money on a vitamin...there's just not that much to it. That is all.

Ria

:iagree:

I get mine from Costco. And we eat well. Relative to all the other things you can do for your health (nutrition, exercise, safety, spiritual exercises, etc) vitamin supplements are pretty low on my radar.

We order our vitamins from Luck Vitamin.com. We get nature's plus and Now brands.

I take a multi vitamin daily, calcium, omega-3 and vitamin C during cold and flu season. My kids take animal parade multi vitamin.

Edited by lynn

For the probiotics, Primadophilus (in the refrigerator section of your health food store) is very good and not nearly so expensive. Some people claim non-frigerated ones aren't alive or effective. I know I used to take a fancy one and now do just fine with Primadophilus, so it doesn't have to be expensive or designer to work. You shouldn't take a probiotic all the time anyway. Better to rotate with other things like yogurt or garlic. If you're eating lots of white flour and sugar, you're sort of defeating the purpose anyway.

The calcium supplement shouldn't be expensive to get the equivalent at your health food store. Some health food stores even carry their own brand that works just fine.

For the antioxidants, for us, we just live on frozen blueberries when they are out of season--we add them straight out of the freezer to our cereal in the morning...and other fruits like pomegranate and cranberries are good, too--even in juice form. The darker the color, the better. Probiotics can be really inexpensive at the local health food store, and for the others, I'm sure you can find suitable alternatives just about anywhere. We just try to eat healthy,and not worry so much about the vitamin supplements.

I buy lots of fresh/organic foods, but I have a severe mineral deficiency even then, so I still have to supplement. I take extra calcium (osteoporosis runs rampant in my mother's family), a multi-mineral, and a multivitamin. If I don't take the multivitamin, within a week I start to shake like a parkinsonian. If I don't take the mineral supplement, I go prediabetic and sack out at 10 a.m. every day, regardless of how long I've slept the night before. We have probiotics in the fridge for occasional use such as when we're on antibiotics or haven't been eating a lot of fiber, but we don't use them daily. I usually pick everything up at our local alternative health store, but sometimes I will visit www.vitaminshoppe.com. I think I spend $50 every couple of months. I don't remember the brands offhand, but I could look them up if you're interested.

I'm picky about the kids' vitamins, too. I need to order some more of the Dr. Greene's that we have been using. Some of my friends thought I was nuts till I showed them on the Flintstone's web site where it said they have both dyes AND aspartame in them. Blew them away.

I've heard good things about Rainbow Light vitamins and I've been able to buy them for a fraction of the price that I get them at the health food store at http://www.vitacost.com.

Lisa

:iagree: I buy Rainbow Light vitamins from Vitacost. I love them. My husband loves the Alive vitamins. He said he can tell a difference in his energy level when he takes them.

Jan

Edited by jg_puppy
adding something

We're using melaleuca vits (don't get into a discussion on melaleuca please!), but since the buying and shipping is costing $94 a month for the 2 of us, he wants to cut those out and use something different.

This is what they have to say about the pack that we buy:

So I'd kind of like something (or several things) to replace the above that will cost less, much less, than $40 each. Or tell me why I don't need #3 and 4 on a daily basis.

Thanks!

Cheryl,

I can't advise you on your specific regimen, but will say that there is a HUGE difference in the discount-type/non-whole foods vitamins and the whole foods ones. I don't know if yours are whole foods or not. I take Standard Process' Catalyn and Bio-Dent as well as Arctic Cod Liver Oil soft gels from Nordic Naturals. My dr. is in the process of looking for a cheaper (but high quality) supplier for that one since the price has gone up a lot. My husband takes all those plus S.P.'s Palmettoplex for prostate health.

Best wishes to you--the financials aren't fun lately.

Chelle

I can't advise you on your specific regimen, but will say that there is a HUGE difference in the discount-type/non-whole foods vitamins and the whole foods ones.

The vitamins I take are from whole foods too (http://www.foodform.com , ordered directly from the manufacturer), but unfortunately they're pricey, which doesn't fit the op criteria.

Cheryl,

If you wish to stay with Melaleuca, consider buying the supplements individually instead of in the pre-packed AM/PM envelopes. I doubt you need to take as many as are in those packs. Purchasing a full jar of each of the 4 items, means you and dh could share, take them ONCE a day and reduce your monthly cost by at least half. In fact, if you look on the ordering page, you can order Vitality-4 in jars...it's just below the boxes of packaged ones. We order one of these for say, men, and then order just one single jar of multivitamin for women so that we have the main ingredients we both need.

Hope that helps. We've considered switching for similar reasons, but instead we are trying to just adjust the quantity.

I go prediabetic and sack out at 10 a.m. every day, regardless of how long I've slept the night before.

Are you eating supper? If not, now is a good time to start. It doesn't have to be much. While I was gestational diabetic I would have a very weak chocolate milk before bed and that kept me under control, as long as I ate breakfast as soon as I got up. Skipping the drink did the same for my blood sugar levels as putting in too much chocolate powder. (I hate straight milk.)

To the original question: I daresay it would be cheaper to eat a wholefoods based diet and supplement as needs be by reading the signs of deficiency in your body.

:)

Rosie

Suggestion: For $94 a month, you could purchase higher quality fresh whole foods if you are not already doing that and probably be healthier without supplements.

:iagree: Absolutely. IMO, supplements should be only for specific deficiencies. Broad spectrum supplements are unnecessary if you eat a varied and good quality diet.

We, for example, all take Omega-3's because frankly, our diet is quite deficient of them. None of us can stand to eat fish at all.

Are you eating supper? If not, now is a good time to start. It doesn't have to be much. While I was gestational diabetic I would have a very weak chocolate milk before bed and that kept me under control, as long as I ate breakfast as soon as I got up. Skipping the drink did the same for my blood sugar levels as putting in too much chocolate powder. (I hate straight milk.)

To the original question: I daresay it would be cheaper to eat a wholefoods based diet and supplement as needs be by reading the signs of deficiency in your body.

:)

Rosie

Yes, my diet is good with a solid (healthful) three meals a day. Diabetes simply runs in my family, so unfortunately I'm prone to it. I also have hormonal issues that affect my health. Thanks for the suggestion, though! :)