Menu

Trying to understand Omnibus

According to Veritas: Omnibus I with both primary and secondary work is worth 3 credits for Hist, Lit, and Theology. If you only do primary or only do secondary then it is only worth 1 credit.

I emailed Veritas to find out about how much time to schedule for Omni I. They said that for Primary, it takes about 70 minutes/5 days a week plus about 30 minutes of homework for each hour in class. Secondary is about 70 minutes/3 days a week plus the 30min for each hour in class.

That's a lot of time but you do get the 3 credits for it. (if you add it up it's about 13.8hrs/wk for 32 weeks... at 120hrs/credit that's about 3.6 credits) Why do you only get 1 credit for just primary or secondary when there is much more time required for primary?

If you do just primary, how much credit to you award? If you do some of both or some other varient can you share how you determine how many credits to give? Do you plan ahead of time what to skip or do you just put the time in for the number of credit you want (say 2-3hrs/day @ 5days/wk for 3 credits) and see how far you get?

tia

I work it backwards from what you are doing. When I read the books, I keep track of how many pages I can read in about 45 minutes. Then I add assignments that take us up to about an hour+/- per day. It is rather randomly done, but it gives me an idea of how long it will really take my kids to do the work. Since we are doing an hour/day, I give them one credit.

For my oldest child, we did 1.5 hours/day for 1.5 credits, and I figured it the same way. We do not do all the books. I read my way through the material and chose the ones I thought best--sometimes I cannot find a translation I think would work, and that immediately eliminates the book. I do history separately, so I skip some of the purely historic readings. Some of the theology does not match my Lutheran background, either, so we sometimes skip and sometimes exchange readings.

FWIW,

Jean

Keep in mind that the times they quote are official In-Class hours, many of which are used to read out loud. If you are considering Omnibu, I highly recommend Bruce Etter's MP3 Teaching Omnibus at Home. He talks about saving discussions for around the dinner table and that sort of thing. Also check out the VP yahoo group. We've got some Veritas online teachers there who also think Omni can be completed at home in a shorter amount of time.

The Omnibus lecture is on Wordmp3.com. For some reason I can't find it right now. There search engine is fussy sometimes :)

HTH.

With Omnibus I gave credit more for what "Actually" happened in our school. History was 1 credit, this is because with reading Spielvogel it works out to about 45-60 minutes/day. The secondary readings takes my kids 5 hrs/week because they have a 2 hr co-op class each week on literary elements/writing based on these books. That is our English credit. Then I give another credit for Great Books 1. This credit incorporates all the primary readings we choose to do. We omitted Bible after Kings because I didn't like "rushing through the Bible."

So if one idea I have for us is to do the Primary along with the Spielvogel readings. Would it be wrong to give 1 credit for History, 1 credit for Lit (Great Books) and maybe a 1/2 credit for Theology? I know they say only 1 credit but it really sounds like it will take enough time to be worth all three 3 credits, especially since I would be adding in the full chapters for the Spielvogel readings. Does this make sense?

And the secondary books on theology look good so if we have time for them then I guess we'll go for the full 3 credits.

Maybe we'll have time for some of the literature books to beef it up but I don't know. Actually my oldest (rising 9th grader) has already read the whole Narnia series and seen the movies and my ds (rising 8th grader) has read some of the books and seen the movies so I don't know if we should count those books.. .then again maybe I could have them read (re-read) them over the summer?

Thanks for letting me babble!