Menu

Help! I've got the washing machine blues!

Our clothes washer appears to be at its decision-making point of whether it wants to live or die. We've repaired what was broken, but after starting it back up and trying to run a load of clothes, it's starting to make some...unwasher-like...noises. Also starting to smoke a wee bit and smell bad.

I would appreciate any suggestions while trying to decide what type of washing machine to purchase next. We'd always assumed we'd make the move to a front-loader, since they are known to use less water and less detergent. However, I've also heard they have twice as many machine parts as top-loaders and a larger frequency of repairs.

I thought I'd read something on this board awhile back regarding washers but didn't find it easily. This will be our first washing machine purchase in almost 20 years, so I have NO clue as to what new-fangled ideas are out there.

Lynda

Edited by datmama4
typo

I just wanted to comment about the money this is saving us monthly. We use less detergent, can wash more clothes at one time, it uses less water - our water bill dropped almost in half, and our electric bill went down significantly - the clothes take less time to dry. Ours is a non stackable LG.

I never thought about clothing taking less time to dry! What a bonus. While it would be nice to have a stackable one (just to save space), our dryer is working just fine (although older) so we wouldn't have anything to stack it upon...yet.

I have heard about low water usage top loaders somewhere, but can't remember where. I don't know of anyone who has one, so I have no information. I've also heard it's getting increasingly difficult to find top loaders because of the push to use less water and resources. I have no basis for the fact of this, since I have not shopped for any large appliance in at least 11 years.

I feel your pain. My 20-year-old washer just bit the dust.

I took a week to research. I thought we'd make the switch to a front loader, but we didn't. Many people experience mold around the gasket on the door and smelly laundry. Since we live in a high-humidity area, I chose against that fast.

Secondly, I looked at the no-agitator top loaders. Wow, lots of problems with them. What I really didn't like about them was the water drains down rather than spinning out, so any dirt in the water is re-deposited in the clothing.

I decided to go back to a top loader. Top loaders use less water than they used to, so while they're not as water efficient as front loaders, they're still better than our 20-year-old machines. I looked and looked, and everywhere I turned Speed Queens got top ratings.

That's what I got, a plain and simple Speed Queen. I've had mine a week and I am in love with it. My clothes come out clean, which is what I wanted. The spin cycle is really good and I've gone from a 50- to 60-minute dry cycle to 40-45.

Check out the Laundry Room Forum at That Home Site. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/laundry/

I think I read a comment there that I agree with: Buying a washer today is more difficult than buying a car. It was a nightmare of a week for me, trying to find what would be best for our family.

Good luck!

Our clothes washer appears to be at its decision-making point of whether it wants to live or die. We've repaired what was broken, but after starting it back up and trying to run a load of clothes, it's starting to make some...unwasher-like...noises. Also starting to smoke a wee bit and smell bad.

I would appreciate any suggestions while trying to decide what type of washing machine to purchase next. We'd always assumed we'd make the move to a front-loader, since they are known to use less water and less detergent. However, I've also heard they have twice as many machine parts as top-loaders and a larger frequency of repairs.

I thought I'd read something on this board awhile back regarding washers but didn't find it easily. This will be our first washing machine purchase in almost 20 years, so I have NO clue as to what new-fangled ideas are out there.

Lynda