Menu
ATTENTION: Forums search will not work until re-indexing is completed. Please follow these instructions for search

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ottakee

need chick flick--clean and wholesome but fun

A group of us are getting together next Friday for a movie and girls night. What movie would you suggest that is a good lighthearted or chick flick movie that is as clean as they can be?

One lady, a single in her 30s, lost her job this week after 11 years. Another lady resigned her position last week. The third had her daughter get injuried at basketball practice and need reconstructive surgery on her face (surgery is Wed.) and the 4th has had other major things going on.

We need something light and funny but as we are conservative we want to keep it clean as well.

Any ideas for us?

mama mia, steel magnolias, lake house, fireproof come to mind for a chick flick

bucket list is a good movie not so much a chick flick.

Have you seen Bring Up Baby? Not a traditional chick flick, but oh my, we are watching it now and rolling on the floor! It is so funny, wholesome and yet about love. :) It's great!

Have you seen Bring Up Baby? Not a traditional chick flick, but oh my, we are watching it now and rolling on the floor! It is so funny, wholesome and yet about love. :) It's great!

LOL we watched this last week. I am instituting "old movie night" on Friday nights and my girls and I are getting a BIG kick out of the oldies. Bringing up Baby was a stretch because it was in black & white (gasp). But they still liked it.

Kate and Leopold. It's wonderful. Meg Ryan and Hugh Jackman. Absolutely clean.

I was very surprised by Enchanted. A kid movie, true, but made me LOL.

Two of my favorites are quirky fun...

Lars and The Real Girl ~ sweet and laugh out loud funny in places. Don't let the blurb about the movie dissuade you. You'll be glad you watched this one. Reaffirms how we need to treat each other. I showed this at a girl's night out at church last summer to rave reviews.

Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day ~ Charming. A bit of (male) skin at the beginning. Set during the hard times just prior to WWII in England.

The Wedding Planner (Jennifer Lopez), Miss Congeniality, About a Boy (some language, but I didn't find it offensive...maybe because of the English accents, lol), Overboard, A Knight's Tale (some "backal" nudity), Baby Boom.

Bringing up Baby was a stretch because it was in black & white (gasp). But they still liked it.

I was very surprised, but my boys didn't make one comment about it being in black and white. They were too busy trying to keep up with everything that was happening. :) How old do you think kids should be before watching Alfred Hitchcock? I have never seen any, so I don't want to get it for family movie night until I'm sure it's appropriate.

I was very surprised, but my boys didn't make one comment about it being in black and white. They were too busy trying to keep up with everything that was happening. :) How old do you think kids should be before watching Alfred Hitchcock? I have never seen any, so I don't want to get it for family movie night until I'm sure it's appropriate.

LOL! I saw some Hitchcock back when they were new...and I was still pretty new myself. I think I saw the birds at about age ten. Awesome movie. Fascinated me and scared the beejeebbers out of me. ;)

"Emma" with Gwyneth Paltrow, or "Sense and Sensibility" with Emma Thompson - those are two of my favorites.

Or how about "Roman Holiday"? Lots of fun! Have you seen it?

Wendi

Pride and Prejudice--the 2 hour version with Kierra Knightly. Not the 300 hour PBS version.

I've shown Pride and Prej to a few groups of ladies on various Movie Nights and they all loooooved it.

Ever After (PG)

(Drew Barrymore plays Danielle, the kind-hearted tomboy who maintains a generally sweet spirit despite the oppressiveness of her stepmother and two stepsisters.)

Secondhand Lions (PG)

(In this humorous, warm-hearted drama, two eccentric old brothers in rural, 1950s Texas keep sacks of money hidden in their ramshackle barn ...) (both descriptions from Plugged In Online)

Guest janainaz
Kate and Leopold. It's wonderful. Meg Ryan and Hugh Jackman. Absolutely clean.

I was very surprised by Enchanted. A kid movie, true, but made me LOL.

I loved Enchanted! It was so funny - that is a great one.

Guest janainaz
While you were sleeping (of course, there is a part in the hospital where the language and gestures make me cringe a bit)...

Claire in NM

Ok, well, there's another one! I loved that one, too!

Two of my favorites are quirky fun...

Lars and The Real Girl ~ sweet and laugh out loud funny in places. Don't let the blurb about the movie dissuade you. You'll be glad you watched this one. Reaffirms how we need to treat each other. I showed this at a girl's night out at church last summer to rave reviews.

Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day ~ Charming. A bit of (male) skin at the beginning. Set during the hard times just prior to WWII in England.

"The Magic of Ordinary Days" - I believe came out initially as a Hallmark movie.

I'm stuck in the past, but Hitchcock's Rear Window was a favorite at our house last night, and my girls gasped at Grace Kelley's beauty.

I still gasp - and I have seen all of her movies many times.

I still gasp - and I have seen all of her movies many times.

More in the same vein: To Catch a Thief, The Birds, High Society, Dial M for Murder.

Emma

Persuasion

Sabrina (Harrison Ford version)

Casablanca

Charade

I Was a Male War Bride

Singing In the Rain

Sense and Sensibility

Return to Me

While you Were Sleeping

Guest Virginia Dawn

How to Marry a Millionaire with Lauren Bacall and Marilyn Monroe- Absolutely hilarious, absolutely clean.

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER & RECEIVE A COUPON FOR
10% OFF
We respect your privacy.You’ll hear about new products, special discounts & sales, and homeschooling tips. *Coupon only valid for first-time registrants. Coupon cannot be combined with any other offer. Entering your email address makes you eligible to receive future promotional emails.
0 Shares
Tweet
Pin