Menu

CPSIA - lead law - granted a one year stay!

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09115.html

This is great news, right? Hopefully now Congress will redo this law this year.

It looks like it applies to everything except for:

• Four requirements for third-party testing and certification of certain children’s products subject to:

[*]Certification requirements applicable to ATV’s manufactured after April 13, 2009.

[*]Pre-CPSIA testing and certification requirements, including for: automatic residential garage door openers, bike helmets, candles with metal core wicks, lawnmowers, lighters, mattresses, and swimming pool slides; and

[*]Pool drain cover requirements of the Virginia Graeme Baker Pool & Spa Safety Act.

It looks like the stay only applies to manufacturers and importers of new products:

The stay of enforcement on testing and certification does not address thrift and second hand stores and small retailers because they are not required to test and certify products under the CPSIA. The products they sell, including those in inventory on February 10, 2009, must not contain more than 600 ppm lead in any accessible part. The Commission is aware that it is difficult to know whether a product meets the lead standard without testing and has issued guidance for these companies that can be found on our web site.

Looks like thrift stores and resellers are still stuck. I think... I hate legalese.

It looks like the stay only applies to manufacturers and importers of new products:

Looks like thrift stores and resellers are still stuck. I think... I hate legalese.

Stores for used items were already addressed.

From the CPSC:

Sellers of used children’s products, such as thrift stores and consignment stores, are not required to certify that those products meet the new lead limits, phthalates standard or new toy standards.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess my confusion came in with the use of the term "resellers" in the document you quoted. I assumed a reseller was someone reselling an already used item; those people aren't required to test, but cannot sell items above the lead level. I guess they mean resellers of new products, not used products. I think I've got it now.

Used items was "much talk, nothing resolved"...on one hand they say used stores do not have to test, BUT on the other hand they say used stores are still liable.

Small components, etc....still affects WAHMs. What needs to be done is to demand the testing for ALL imports if it's that dire of a problem. Then those of us that buy from craft stores and suppliers don't have to go out of business, because the mass imports will ALREADY be tested by the big guys.

Both the resellers amendment and the stay still require that the seller 'be sure' that their products are safe. So it only saves the paperwork, really. And how can they be sure (in any legal sort of sense) without testing?

I'm not really seeing the benefit of this stay.