Menu

Science Sequence for highschool

Hi everyone,

My co-op has just put together a plan of action for the next 4 years. They did a fabulous job, but now I'm freaking out.

I hadn't thought about science much, because dh and I are both engineers and I know we can handle it. But seeing the classes laid out for me, I see that I need to get crackin'.

Basically, my daughter is almost 11 and a fabulous reader. We've done little science other than elementary apologia and some exploration education.

Here are my questions:

When do AP classes start?

Is AP chemistry, chemistry the second time around in highschool or can an AP chemistry class be taken the first time?

But if I want AP classes for her in highschool, then what do I need to do in junior high?

I am staring these questions in the face because if I want to have her take Physical with co-op in 7th or 8th grade, then I have to move her up at the co-op. I'd rather do that now than later.

And btw, my kids love co-op and are getting so much from it, I really don't want to quit going. But I do need to adapt the program to fit our needs.

Thanks for your help and sorry so convoluted. I'm a little sleepy and a lot panicky.

Hi Kimber,

My son had a great biology background so we skipped the preliminary course and dove into AP. Whew! AP Biology is the equivalent of two semesters of college biology--very tough. I don't know how challenging AP Chemistry is. Instead of going that route, my son took a semester of General Chemistry at the CC. Dual enrollment is another option to consider.

If you have library book sales near you, it might be eye opening to pick up some used texts on the cheap. This will give you a chance to compare the high school books with the college texts that are used in AP. A clearer idea of expectation will emerge.

Best,

Jane

I've been looking at AP course requirements at the College Board website. Actually I was looking at physics courses, but looked at chemistry as well. One one of the pages it recommended that an introductory chemistry course be taken before AP. One page (Chemistry Course Perspective) recommends introductory chemistry and concurrent enrollment in a physics course.

Thanks guys,

This whole thing has taken me by surprise. I usually spend hours mapping out a plan for one area of study. Last summer, I did math. Recently, I did writing through middle school. I figured I'd do science over the summer.

Well, I have to sign her up for co-op classes fairly soon, I think. And since our co-op is small, 50 families or so, there is only a traditional track. So to get her on the track for AP, I just realized that I have to accelerate her next year. I pretty much panicked because I don't like surprises. :-)

Anyway, I know nothing about AP, dual credit, and accelerated classes other than they exist and high school kids take them. When I was in school, in a little country town in Louisiana, none of those options were open to me.

So I have a really steep learning curve.

The information you guys have provided helps a lot. I didn't know how much I didn't know.

I'll keep reading and researching upper level classes.

One of the problems that I have is that this child of mine has no passion for any subject other than reading. She may have a passion for science but we haven't done much outside of reading. And while that is fine, I really now that that isn't appropriate for a 6th grader that may go into a science related field.

I don't think she'll do medicine, but she'd probably love computers or chemistry.

Thanks again. You've helped a lot.

One more question: what makes an AP class an AP class? Two more: and who verifies this information?

Kimberly

One more question: what makes an AP class an AP class? Two more: and who verifies this information?

It's an AP class if College Board says it is. :tongue_smilie: They hold the trademark. Homeschoolers can go through the audit process and get their course approved. You can look up each course description (with recommended texts) and sample syllabi on AP Central at http://www.collegeboard.com.

Another option is to designate your class "Advanced _______ w/ AP exam" and then list the exam score. Some schools will want to see the AP class, however, not just the score.

There are lots of threads on AP/dual enrollment/CLEP/SATs and the like. Lots of late night reading for you. :001_smile:

HTH,

Lisa