Menu

Is a Kitchen Aid stand mixer worth it?

My kitchen aid hand mixer broke. Looking to replace it with the same brand/kind (I like that it is strong enough for a bread hook), it will be about $50-$60. Then I think it sure would be convenient to have a stand for it. I've seen some regular two-beater stand mixers that are significantly less money than the Kitchen Aid single beater. Which is better?

I use it mostly for baking and pizza crust making, but seeing some of the attachments for the kitchen aid one makes me think I might use it more.

Kitchenaid is more expensive because it's still all metal. I had the 250watt and loved it, but it couldn't handle a double loaf of bread so I upgraded to the 475 watt. If you take care of it you will never have to replace it.

:iagree:I have had mine for 8 years and I have never had a problem with it. We use it at least twice a week.

I rarely use my hand mixer. In fact, the only time I use my hand mixer is for mashed potatoes....and that's just so I don't have to wash another pot!

My kitchen aid hand mixer broke. Looking to replace it with the same brand/kind (I like that it is strong enough for a bread hook), it will be about $50-$60. Then I think it sure would be convenient to have a stand for it. I've seen some regular two-beater stand mixers that are significantly less money than the Kitchen Aid single beater. Which is better?

I use it mostly for baking and pizza crust making, but seeing some of the attachments for the kitchen aid one makes me think I might use it more.

If you bake and cook from scratch a lot then it is well worth it. My DH was able to find me a kitchen aid stand mixer that was used but still in good working condition for a really good price. Search ebay.

I bought it because I was doing cake decorating, and nothing else mixes cake icing like the KitchenAid. But I find, like the other poster, that I use it for everything except mashed potatoes. It does an awesome job with bread dough, cookie dough, and anything else you throw at it. And since it comes with several kinds of hooks, I find it very versatile.

And I like that you can buy accessories for grinding, pasta making, etc., that can all be powered by it.

Edited by Asenik

Is a Kitchen Aid stand mixer worth it?

Yes. :001_smile:

It was the one "appliance" birthday gift I asked for, and was ecstatic about receiving! I've been using mine for 11 years... almost 12. Still runs like it did when it was new. Considering the fact that it practically lasts a lifetime, it is well worth the investment.

I've had a KA mixer since we married. I'm actually on my third one. My first one got worn out making bread (it was the model in which the entire motor head tilts back, and the pin became loose...I gave it to my parents who don't make bread and it's still going strong, 20 years later). My second one was the larger model, but I opted to replace it with the current top-of-the-line model two years ago. I gave the other one to my sister.

I use my KA almost daily, for everything: cookies, batters, breads, mashed potatoes, etc.

Ria

Oh, yes!

We've had one for six years, since we got married. It gets used at least twice a week for pizza/bread dough, cookies, cakes, even mashed potatoes once. It lives on the counter so I don't have to drag out an appliance from a cabinet or put it away after I'm done with it.

And, when it's beating my bread dough for the 10 minutes required, I can walk away and do dishes instead of having to hold it. :D

I love mine and use it all the time. I tossed my hand mixer because this one makes the mixing easier. Mine sits on the counter and gets used at least a few times a week year round and more often from fall to spring. Now, in all honesty...if I had to lift or pull that big old thing out to use...it would be a pain to say the least. Counter room for me is necessary because that baby is heavy. .

Artisan bread dough at least one or two weekly batches.

cookie dough

pizza crust

pie crust

cakes

pan cakes

Another vote for the Pro series. (It is my compromise - I really want a 40 qt Hobart that bolts the floor, but my husband says that's a car payment, plus it's weird, so the Kitchen Aid is my friend. :D)

Two beater stand mixers with the rotating bowl are not powerful enough to knead bread dough. They're great if you like to multitask and all you use them for is whipped cream.

The other thing I would say from experience (my 6 1/2 qt replaced one of the smaller Kitchen Aids) is that, for kneading stiff doughs, you either want the kind that the head swings up (and the bowl screws into the base) or you want to be aware that you may have to steady the bowl during kneading. With some doughs - not all, or even a majority - my bowl (with the lifting arms) will work loose of the little latch in the back and rock. It is not earth shattering, just something that happens on occasion. I wouldn't go back to the smaller one, it's just a "feature" of this one that I sort of find annoying at times.