Menu

Homemade blueberry muffins--help, please!

Can you tell me how to make the crumbly, sugary topping for muffins? I'm going to make blueberry muffins from the Better Homes cookbook, but would like to add that "bakery style" topping to them.

Thanks!

Chelle

Cut some butter into brown sugar and a tablespoon or two of flour. Add cinnamon or nutmeg if you like. This is often called a "streusel" topping.

HTH.

Jane

If you have a food processor it is simple, if you don't it just takes a little extra work.

the ingredients are sugar, softened butter and flour. basically just about equal parts of sugar and flour....if you make too much you can actually freeze it to use later.

1/2 cup sugar

1/3 cup flour

1/4 cup butter, room temperature

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)

Mix together all ingredients until the mixture resembes coarse crumbs. with a food processor just add ingredients and pulse a few times. thats it.

I use a pastry blending tool:

pastryblender.jpg

This cuts the butter in. (Unlike Jennifer, I use cold butter.)

Ahhh, a photo, even! You are too good to me! I *do* have one of *those*! I'm looking forward to getting away from the boxed mixes of things that I seem to have developed an addiction to.

Thanks,

Chelle