Menu

If you give your kids nutritional supplements, at what age did you start?

If the ped didn't want her on supplements, I would wait til she's 2 and can start on something like Flinstones. Seems like there was a reason not to give stuff before 2, but I can't remember what it is. My ds is 19mo and is not big on veggies either, but I don't give him any supplements.

My little ds takes Animal Parade Chewables by Nature's Plus. They are vegetarian, hypo-allergenic and do not contain artificial colors or common allergens. He started taking them at about 2 1/2- 3yo. I think.

He did some liquid before that his dr suggested, but they were nasty and didn't get taken often.

Anyway, Animal Parade does make a liquid.

HTH-

Mandy

I'm thinking about my one year old. She refuses so many vegs.

A couple of thoughts regarding the veggies. First, how do you handle disobedience in other areas of her life? Whatever you do there may be needed for this, too. Now, I know some people don't like to make food a battle or an issue with dc, but especially when they purposely limit themselves, I really do believe it's for their own good that parents require they eat what's in front of them. FWIW, all of mine went through an intense, veggie-hating period as toddlers, and they all lost that battle. Now, at 11, 9, and 5, other people express amazement at how well my dc will eat anything placed in front of them. I insist they eat a few bites of everything served. If they want more of anything after that, they do have to clean their plates. I give smaller servings of foods they don't like much, but they still have to eat them. Eventually, they learn.

I do think it's okay to encourage eating hated veggies by putting a bit of honey on them to sweeten them up, because once they learn to enjoy the flavor, you can gradually phase out the honey. At age one, I might even use natural applesauce to add some sweetness.

Also, I would serve veggies for breakfast, as that's when she is probably the hungriest. Mine have to eat some protein and veggies before anything else at breakfast, and it's amazing how quickly they will get through the veggies, even disliked ones, when it means there are pancakes next!

A couple of thoughts regarding the veggies. First, how do you handle disobedience in other areas of her life? .........

Good question. She is only 14 mos, and I'm sorting through how to handle discipline with her. The food is just one area of many.

We put it in her mouth, and she has now started to just hold it out on her tongue and refuse to swallow while screaming. I'm afraid she's going to choke, so I don't have many options.

Good question. She is only 14 mos, and I'm sorting through how to handle discipline with her. The food is just one area of many.

We put it in her mouth, and she has now started to just hold it out on her tongue and refuse to swallow while screaming. I'm afraid she's going to choke, so I don't have many options.

Oh! I missed how very young she was. I see the dilemma.

Could it be a sensory thing? Does she eat other foods of similar texture willingly? Would she eat veggies if they were mushy, for example, or if mushy is the problem, would she eat tiny pieces? One of mine would have willingly starved to death before eating mushy food, and the doctor was actually worried about growth because all solid food was refused until around 12-13 months. At that point the dc began eating pieces of bread and other truly solid food. Mushy food was refused completely until about 15-16 months. It was entirely the texture. I think applesauce was the one that finally got dc to eat mushy food, and then I mixed that with veggies.

I started to give flintstones, but then there was something not right with those - I think his poop was a strange color or something and I changed him to Kangavites by Solgar- which he loved the taste of and were not gummy, which are not good for teeth. I used to get them at the Whole Foods market, but they stopped selling them so I get them at some generic supplement store. I liked the % of stuff in them over the Flintstone chews. I began to give him 1/2 a tablet when he was probably 1 or 1.5

A bit later, when he refused milk and then yogurt, the doctor said tums was okay! He wouldn't take it. I had to wait till he was about 4.5 and started to like chocolate milk!

Now, my second son refuses any kind of milk and he happily takes a tums.

My 3rd, also refuses milk! She won't take tums so I give her Rhino Swirlin' Calci-bears with Vit. D.

Oh! I missed how very young she was. I see the dilemma.

Could it be a sensory thing? Does she eat other foods of similar texture willingly? Would she eat veggies if they were mushy, for example, or if mushy is the problem, would she eat tiny pieces? One of mine would have willingly starved to death before eating mushy food, and the doctor was actually worried about growth because all solid food was refused until around 12-13 months. At that point the dc began eating pieces of bread and other truly solid food. Mushy food was refused completely until about 15-16 months. It was entirely the texture. I think applesauce was the one that finally got dc to eat mushy food, and then I mixed that with veggies.

I wondered about sensory issues myself, but I can't pin one down. I know that since we started giving her baby cereal at 9 mos, all she wants is starch.

She started refusing the cereal at 12 mos, and only wants rice, pasta, mac-n-cheese, and cubed sandwich pieces. All this starch worries me because she's not exactly skinny, if you know what I mean.

She even gives us a hard time with meats, which she used to love.