Menu

Where to stay in dowtown Washington DC..and must do activities.

We are planning a week long stay in Washington DC in May. My dh must be there for Police Week. His department has a place for him to stay but since we are going with him, we'll need to find a place for us all. Looking for the best hotels around this area. We want to be hopefully within walking distance to the main area atractions (if you can call them that). I know there is the metro so something close to that if we need to ue it. I have found several places but I don't know how close they really are. Can anyone recommend some hotels? I did look into the Hotel Harrington and they are sold out. The other place we are considering in the Marriott Residence Inn on E Street or the Embassy Suites Convvention Center.

I would also like some ideas of what to start teaching my kids, 7 and 4. We are studying the ancients but I want to include some US History so when we get there, my 7yo will have some knowledge of what she is seeing. We'll talk more about Abe Lincoln since we will visit the Ford's Theatre and George Washington of course. If you can recommend any resources for this age I would appreciate it. We love to read so any books would be great. This will be my first trip to DC as well.

Thanks,

Sandy

Well, there is so much to see here....where to start.....look up the Smithsonians online and see which ones would interest you. American History, Natural History and Air and Space are probably the most popular and interesting to kids. Don't miss the Library of Congress- the building is ABSOLUTELY gorgeous- let alone the zillions of books! The quick tour is worth it. The new Capitol Visitors Center is so great- and you can walk into the Capitol from there- very cool. The Botanic Gardens next to the Capitol are worth the stroll- should be ablaze with color- the kids can walk in the rain forest. The Lincon and Jefferson Memorials are really pretty and awe-inspiring. If you're able to go a little further north of the mall, go to the National Cathedral- the grounds are pretty and the tour is interesting. The Spy Museum, Bureau of Printing and Engraving (great for kids!) and the FBI buildings are worth the walk. You will also enjoy Mt. Vernon- the newer visitors center with all the movies is so neat. Hard to see everything in a week! Enjoy your stay.

Your Congressman's office can get a Capitol tour for you. These are easy to get. The White House is harder, but we got it easily during off-season. You can also get on-line and order tickets for the Washington monument ahead of time. I recommend this. Otherwise, you have to get there early and stand in line for tickets. Once there you can only get them for that day, so if they are sold out before you get in line, you are out of luck.

We really enjoyed Arlington National Cemetary. We took the metro out there, but then did do the hop on/hop off tourmobile once we were there. Prior to going we rented a documenatary (maybe National Geographic??? we got it from Netflix) on the cemetary that was very informative.

One thing that would be really fun would be to get a map of the mall and kind of orient your children to where everything is ahead of time.

Definitely go to the National Archives to see the Constitution, Declaration of Indendence, etc.

The Smithsonian museum of American History was still closed when we were there, but hopefully it will be open when you go. Also, when we were there in September, Ford's Theater was closed for renovation.

I would do some studying of how the government works before you go. Also, maybe a little bit about architecture.

We had a blast in September, but we were only there four days as we spent three days in Williamsburg.

How do you feel about staying in VA & taking the metro to DC? We prefer that to staying in DC because it's hard to find a DC hotel with an indoor pool...

Do not miss the zoo. It is fantastic. It's free (pay to park), of course. Their primate programs are amazing. It's very hilly...very...a good work out, for sure. If you have to carry things, I suggest bringing along at least an umbrella stroller.

DC has an amazing collection of fountains...

I tried to post a couple of pix, but no go. There is the Posideon one outside the Library of Ongress that my kids love. I love DC-- there is so much to do and see. I can't get enough.

You can check this site for weekly events to help in planning.

http://www.washington.org/

Edited by LibraryLover

We went two years ago. We stayed at the Marriot, it's about 3 blocks from the White House ~ very centrally located. We loved walking the complete memorial route, from the Washington Monument though all the war memorials to the Lincoln Memorial. The Smithsonian was really fun, as was the Spy Museum. Have fun. Hope you get good weather.

We've stayed at Hotel Harrington - older, cheap, no frills tourist hotel. Very convenient to everything!

and Washington Suites Hotel - this one is "nicer", complimentary breakfast (one of the few you'll find downtown in DC) and still not a horrible rate. It's a bit off the beaten path, but very close to Foggy Bottom metro stop. Bonus - the suites have kitchens and there's a Trader Joes right across the street for groceries.

I enjoyed staying at both places, and both were relatively reasonable.

Have fun in DC!

100 Free or Almost Free Things To Do:

http://www.washington.org/visiting/browse-dc/attractions/100-free-things-to-do

This link mentions family progamming at The Sackler Gallery and I need to say that we loved the one we did. It was a bit ago, maybe 6-7 years. I had no idea what to expect. The kids actually got to play instruments and it was really great. It was only about 90 minutes. I know the offerring changes all the time. Call before hand to see itf it's something your kids would be interested in. At the time, my youngest was a toddler. And no problem.

Edited by LibraryLover

We went two years ago. We stayed at the Marriot, it's about 3 blocks from the White House ~ very centrally located. We loved walking the complete memorial route, from the Washington Monument though all the war memorials to the Lincoln Memorial. The Smithsonian was really fun, as was the Spy Museum. Have fun. Hope you get good weather.

Do you know which Marriott it was?

Thanks,

Sandy