Menu

What do you think of this note to my son's special ed teacher?

Most of you know I homeschool 2 of my children, but enrolled my 11yo in a special ed class last year. I'm so upset with this year's teacher - a meanie. Can you let me know if this note is ok? And pray for me - he isn't having a good year.

February 2, 2009

Mrs. ________,

I received your note that you are unable to heat up ______ lunches in a microwave.

_______ has severe feeding aversion. This was caused by his extreme prematurity, prolonged hospitalization before adoption, and severe reflux. He has been treated for this with surgery as a toddler, as well as therapies locally and at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital.

We are very blessed that he eats the variety of foods that he does now. However, it is still extremely limited. He eats a variety of protein sources at home, including freshly grilled meats, cottage cheese “dipâ€, and oatmeal. However, the cottage cheese and oatmeal have to be prepared precisely and served immediately or he won’t eat them, so we cannot prepare those for school. So, the fish sticks and occasional chicken nuggets are our only way to insure he eats protein during his long school day.

He has an intense desire to buy lunch to be like some of his classmates. So, we have him buy pizza and chicken tenders when they are available. These are some of his preferred foods, and we are assuming he is actually eating them! The other protein main dish items served at school are foods he has routinely refused and choked on when strongly encouraged to try. These foods include mixed texture dishes like pastas, rice casseroles, and meat loaf.

When we enrolled _______ at school last January, I was assured that his feeding issues did not need to be accommodated in his IEP. I was assured that heating up lunches was a normal practice. The only concern his teachers expressed last year about the issue was if he was actually eating enough. Therefore, I didn’t think to have this discussion with you this year.

So, I would like to amend his IEP to accommodate his feeding aversion. I want it to state the need to have his preferred foods heated up. I don’t want to have this problem next year also.

I have a note attached from the doctor and we will happy to fill out any necessary forms to see this process through.

Most of the note reads just fine to me, but this is an issue that is going to require an IEP team meeting. A teacher cannot make changes to an IEP. She can make accommodations on her own in the meantime, but IEP changes require a meeting much like the original planning session. You need to contact the head of your team and request an emergency session.