Menu

Kids don't need much to be happy

I've often wondered if we couldn't have a cleaner house by offering the dc a box (or access to the tupperware cabinet, toilet, etc., as interest goes w/ age). I've got a decent-sized one in the closet and a pile of Stuff* I can't seem to sell to anyone, so...maybe tomorrow morning will be Christmas.... :lol:

One of the biggest revelations of parenthood for me involves boxes. I am the baby of my family, which means I was a teen when my sibs started having kids. I was fairly well versed in kid trends when I finally had my own, including the joys of a brown, cardboard box.

The revelation was the brightly colored shelf box. When ds was 2 years old, we would open all his presents and give them to him all at once. We would laugh at him playing with the boxes but after a few hours all the boxes were recycled and he was left with a pile of fresh toys.

Then I learned to not take things out of the box for them until they asked. The play with the toy in the box. They play with the box as much as the toy sometimes. Sometimes, more than the toy. Now that we don't remove the box so fast...The opening of presents takes days, sometimes a week at our house, and now, they enjoy the process so much more :0)

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

Now that we don't remove the box so fast...The opening of presents takes days, sometimes a week, at our house now, and they enjoy the process so much more :0)

We instituted this policy a couple of yrs ago--if one of them wants to stop to *gasp* PLAY w/ a toy (or box, or whatever) that's ok. We don't force them to open the next one & play later. We just let them play.

And yup, Christmas morning lasts days, at least. :lol:

We instituted this policy a couple of yrs ago--if one of them wants to stop to *gasp* PLAY w/ a toy (or box, or whatever) that's ok. We don't force them to open the next one & play later. We just let them play.

And yup, Christmas morning lasts days, at least. :lol:

I would do this in a heartbeat, but dh won't.

That's so true. I have a Christmas movie where we buy my ds (4 at the time) a bike with training wheels. Dh is putting it together and ds is running through the house throwing packaging peanuts everywhere so he can get it the box to play. He really wasn't too excited about the bike. Now our cats love it when we get stuff. I usually leave the box out for a few days so they can play in it. Last time they discovered the brown packing paper and I let them play with that for a week. When I finally recycled it they kept going to the place where it was and meowing sadly.

The last box we got the kids made a "house" for the cat. Complete with a door, window, mouse hole, and decorated to include his address. He loves his house and still sleeps in it almost 2 months later. I'm seriously wondering why we spend all the money for his real, carpeted cat house/scratching post contraption that I've seen him use a handful of times.