Menu

Is anyone watching Wife Swap?

One of the couples is highly educated, well-traveled, very cultured. And the dad is quite possibly the rudest person I have ever seen. He reminds me of what the Bible says about knowledge without love being like a ...what is it...clanging bell? He just keeps putting this woman down, and doing it with a half-smile on his face!

I used to watch that show, but it just made me mad most of the time.

It was making me mad this evening. When both families get something out of it and become a little better, I like Wife Swap. It's very unsatisfying when the participants think they already know everything and refuse to consider other perspectives. I mean, why'd they go on the show if they have no interest in other people's lifestyles?

One of the couples is highly educated, well-traveled, very cultured. And the dad is quite possibly the rudest person I have ever seen. He reminds me of what the Bible says about knowledge without love being like a ...what is it...clanging bell? He just keeps putting this woman down, and doing it with a half-smile on his face!

Yes!! I saw just a few minutes of that show tonight, and that man was jut a plain AWFUL human being. I missed the beginning, so I was wondering if the woman had done anything to bring that sort of treatment on.. not that anything would justify that. I hope that woman is able to put all of that behind her, and that his kids won't be too negatively affected by him. Apparently he doesn't spend much time with them, which in this case, might be a good thing. :glare:

Yes!! I saw just a few minutes of that show tonight, and that man was jut a plain AWFUL human being. I missed the beginning, so I was wondering if the woman had done anything to bring that sort of treatment on.. not that anything would justify that. I hope that woman is able to put all of that behind her, and that his kids won't be too negatively affected by him. Apparently he doesn't spend much time with them, which in this case, might be a good thing. :glare:

She brought it on herself by being a dumb redneck from a podunk town who is undereducated, over-opiniated, and overweight. She was out of her league and the most stupid woman he'd ever met. All his words, not mine. After the rule change, he read a statement to the camera to state his objections to the new rules. He objected to the National Anthem because it's objectionable. Hmm, for someone who ranked at the 99.99th percentile when he took the GRE (as he pointed out several times) and has an IQ of 158, you'd think he could have used words in that sentence that were not redundant.

Unfortunately, his kids have already been affected by him. When the network went back to their home to see if they'd made any changes after the swap, their daughter said that Gaila isn't the smartest person. She's just a little girl, and she's already been taught to judge people by their intelligence rather than their character.

Thanks for letting me vent here.

I don't trust that show AT ALL. They edit and manufacture to make sure you perceive people in a certain (and extreme) way. It's not real. It's not trustworthy and I believe that it often hurts the participants due to the way they are betrayed.

I generally agree with you, but in this case, this man's actual words were beyond the pale. No mere editing could have created this impression. He wsa repeatedly telling this woman she was stupid and overweight.

I am continually amazed at how many relaxed homeschoolers and unschoolers this show finds! Of course, these are swapped with the Career Mom of the Year. Usually the families bring something positive to each other in the end. I must admit, I can't stop watching. It is interesting to get a glimpse into what others think of homeschoolers. Of course, these homeschoolers always have kids to don't do much work and who are very behind. Yikes! I guess we need a Classical Homeschooler Swap, so we can show 'em that our kids actually do school WORK. :glare:

It was making me mad this evening. When both families get something out of it and become a little better, I like Wife Swap. It's very unsatisfying when the participants think they already know everything and refuse to consider other perspectives. I mean, why'd they go on the show if they have no interest in other people's lifestyles?

I agree to some point. There are times when I feel the show is a little too mentaly and emotionaly abusive to the children on the show. It is one thing to tell a kid that loves something that they should try cutting down on it for a week but it is another thing to tell them that they are not allowed to do it at all until the week is over. Me, persoanlly, I would never put my kids in that situation where they would have to deal with another woman telling them what to do. I feel there are many times the crew does need to step in and draw the line.

We don't have a tv for anything but dvd viewing, but I've seen glimpses of the show. I think it's all fake. Really, if the two fathers said stuff like "Oh, you're right, I've never thought of it that way before......" and "Wow, that's really a better idea than what we've been doing all our lives.", then how many people would watch? They want strife and ratings.

We don't have a tv for anything but dvd viewing, but I've seen glimpses of the show. I think it's all fake. Really, if the two fathers said stuff like "Oh, you're right, I've never thought of it that way before......" and "Wow, that's really a better idea than what we've been doing all our lives.", then how many people would watch? They want strife and ratings.

:iagree:

They do the show to cause the battles they get. I mean instead of standing up infront of a family and saying "This is wrong and here's how we're gonna do it from now on!" How can you not expect any opposition. Let the family sit down at a table and make requests reminding them that after the week, if they don't like it they can go back to the way things were. These women who participate also need to be reminded that they need to be sensitive to the children's emotions. I've said it before and I will say it again, its plain abusive at times.

:iagree: I can just picture the producers behind the scenes encouraging this kind of behavior. OTOH, I've met some extremely judgmental, outspoken people who would do this on their own. :) The producers probably seek these people out.

I have to agree that the "uneducated" family could use a few lessons in proper grammar, but at least they were nice. The jerk from England (or as the visiting wife said, "British") was the most unkind person I have ever heard. I wonder what shape his front lawn is in today?

I have to admit I love this show! It's crazy, but I just love it.

I know you can't trust shows like this to show reality but there is no way this was creative editing. He was the biggest jerk I have ever seen on this show. That whole statement he read just made him look like a fool.

I can't even imagine being married to someone like this. I would really be interested to see the fall out from his attitude on the show to his wife's business working with overweight people after that aired. The wife never did respond to that question at least on the part that aired yesterday.

I have seen 2 homeschool families on there who were really serious homeschoolers - although they made them out to be too hard.

I started to watch this show and had to turn it off b/c of the curse words, OMG's and harsh tones. I refuse to watch shows that I can't watch with my children by my side. If it is wrong to say "oh my God" in real life, it is wrong to watch others say it over and over on tv. Same thing with "The Biggest Loser" show. I really enjoyed watching that program, but decided to quit last year because of all the "OMG's" Yes, my children will hear it plenty when they are grown and on their own, but it is my responsibility right now that they hear what is right and pure.