Menu

NBC refuses to air a prolife ad during the super bowl.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I might be in error but it seems both the video and article violate clearly the letter of the rule stated at the top of this board. Clearly partisan, clearly political and clearly banned.This is a hot button topic and more importantly clearly within the scope of the rule at the top of the page. If the rules have changed please forgive my error in mentioning it.

I suppose that NBC has the right to refuse to air anything they want. It's unfortunate that they allow half naked woman portrayed as sex objects and violence but reject this ad. :glare:

Is that glare icon in earnest? I'm honestly not sure if you're being serious here or not. The ad is reprehensible and I applaud NBC for rejecting it. I don't support the portrayal of women as sex objects, either; it's unfortunate many women allow themselves to be portrayed in that manner.

I think it's a great commercial. It makes a great point!

Bill-

He is the POTUS - people will talk about him, use him as an object lesson and otherwise "exploit" his life in various ways - and most people will think it's great. Is this different b/c it paints a vivid picture that you don't like?

Totally ethically agree with the ad.

BUT think that they should have had permission of the person featured in the ad. Seems it would have been easy enough to find a political or "famous" figure who would agree to being featured. But to feature a man who is decidedly pro-choice might appear to be a personal attack?

Edited by Daisy

It's an absolutely despicable ad, aimed at exploiting the life story of a man of a man "Catholic Vote" said we could not morally vote for.

They should be ashamed of themselves!

Bill

It's "absolutely despicable?" How so? I think that's a bit of an over-reaction.

I'm not familiar with Catholic Vote (I'm not Catholic), but it seems consistent with the position of the Church.

The message I'm taking from this add is that Barack Obama is alive, as are all of us, because our mothers chose to have us. Even under difficult circumstances all life is valuable. That hardly seems like an "absolutely despicable" point to me. Using Obama as an example is a bit confrontational, but I assume they're trying to capture attention and the moment.

It's an absolutely despicable ad, aimed at exploiting the life story of a man of a man "Catholic Vote" said we could not morally vote for.

They should be ashamed of themselves!

Bill

Dispicable? Isn't that a bit harsh? The election is over and the only vote they are calling for in this ad is the one to choose life. Imagine all the aborted babies who could have achieved greatness if given the chance to live.

There's nothing wrong with the ad itself. It's brilliant, really. NBC doesn't have a leg to stand on in defending their decision not to run it.

I totally understood the point and thought it was brilliant.

All those hardships are commonly used as reasons to keep abortion legal. It just shows that the mother's or family's status is not a valid reason to kill a child and you never know who you might be killing or how important that person may have become. The potential of the child being killed can't be measured before that child has a chance to live his or her life to its end...no matter how hard their life may become.

The message I'm taking from this add is that Barack Obama is alive, as are all of us, because our mothers chose to have us. Even under difficult circumstances all life is valuable. That hardly seems like an "absolutely despicable" point to me. Using Obama as an example is a bit confrontational, but I assume they're trying to capture attention and the moment.

I think the bolded word is key...CHOSE.

Sorry I didn't mean to break the rules.

Are we really breaking the rules by discussing this? I don't think it's political as the election is over. We're not bashing Obama and no one has even mentioned party affiliation. I mean, are the stimulus thread violations, too?

I'm not trying to be snarky, I sincerely want to know if this is indeed a violation.

Yes, and the point being, at least the point of Catholic Vote, choose LIFE.

I'll just add that I'm personnally pro-choice, but the overblown reaction to this add is irrational. The ad points out the contridiction between Obama's life and his political position. Fair game in my mind.

I totally understood the point and thought it was brilliant.

All those hardships are commonly used as reasons to keep abortion legal. It just shows that the mother's or family's status is not a valid reason to kill a child and you never know who you might be killing or how important that person may have become. The potential of the child being killed can't be measured before that child has a chance to live his or her life to its end...no matter how hard their life may become.

Unfortunately it seems that the tolerance crowd is intolerant of those of us who are Hoping for a Change we can believe in.

We've lost even that privilege, thanks to the sort of knee-jerk reactions this thread is already displaying.

I don't think it takes a great deal of time to form a response to that. It's intended to have an impact, and it did ~ one way or another. If we wait a day and keep thinking about the ad and then post our reaction, does that make it less knee-jerk?:)

The one that our host had to put up after we proved ourselves too juvenile to discuss politics.

I don't think discussing them in violation of board rules is going to prove that we can handle it any better, do you? (As if anything could, after that ridiculous debacle with inaugural fashion.)

The one that our host had to put up after we proved ourselves too juvenile to discuss politics.

I don't think discussing them in violation of board rules is going to prove that we can handle it any better, do you? (As if anything could, after that ridiculous debacle with inaugural fashion.)

The no politics rule was in place when abortion was previously discussed. It's fair to assume that if it was allowed under the old board no politics rule than it can be discussed now.

Perhaps we can let the moderator decide, Sarah?

ETA: Abortion isn't even really being discussed. We're talking about the relative merits of a TV ad and whether and when a commerical broadcaster should show it or not.

Edited by Stacy in NJ
more info

Both Planned Parenthood and NOW used images of both H.W. and W. Bush in ads.

Presidents and their policies are political and are fair game for political/social ads like the Catholic Vote ad.

Ahh, I didn't realize that. I didn't find it offensive either.

That is what all the fuss is about? It seems short and sweet to us. Is there any way that we could talk NBC out of running ads for ED medications? Those make the kids really uneasy.

Yeah, I'm SO creeped out by those ED ads. The music, the scenes.... Cheesy.

This one seemed...tasteful to me. Admittedly I'm not a fan--that's a massive understatement--of "issue" ads, but this is much better than anything I saw, for example, during campaign season.

So I wonder how these stations decide what they will or will not air?

Seems we can get all bent out of shape about a Christian organization deciding to exclude Sonlight curriculum but we are all fine and dandy with

a tv station excluding a paying customer.

So on what basis are we making these decisions?

:iagree:

Yes, and the point being, at least the point of Catholic Vote, choose LIFE.

I'll just add that I'm personnally pro-choice, but the overblown reaction to this add is irrational. The ad points out the contridiction between Obama's life and his political position. Fair game in my mind.

Why is there a contridiction between Obama's life and his political position? Are you saying that Obama thinks all pregnant women should abort their babies if they are struggling and divorced? Really? Maybe that is what the ad wants you to take away from it, that according to Obama's political position, his mom should have aborted him. :confused: Obama is not saying all struggling families should abort their unborn. :eek:

His political position is that women should have the right to CHOOSE. Obviously, our parents chose to keep us, so we are all being contrary when we think other mothers should have the right to abort if they choose?

I don't even think the ad is fair in the fact that it made the Obama's seem as if they were destitute. They were not. The Obama's were married when Barrack was born. (young, but married) They divorced when he was 3 and his mom remarried when he was 6. His dad left and was never a part of Barack's life... I see no correlation between this and abortion.

So I wonder how these stations decide what they will or will not air?

Seems we can get all bent out of shape about a Christian organization deciding to exclude Sonlight curriculum but we are all fine and dandy with

a tv station excluding a paying customer.

So on what basis are we making these decisions?

Thanks, Daisy, for a serious question. (I don't appreciate the silly sideshow that's going on within this thread.)