Menu

Introverts?? My DD has a birthday party to attend. Help.

Would it be totally horrible of me to let my DH take my DD to her birthday party tonight? It's at some Pump it up place where they jump on bouncy stuff for 2 hours. It's a "girl" party. Dh is willing to take her and sit and read a book, but is that trashy of me?

I HATE stuff like this. I don't know any of those ladies. They go to my church. The girls are in DD's Awana's group. I should probably get to know them since I've been going to that church for over a year and still don't know anyone. But the thought of 2 hours with total strangers basically makes me feel like puking.

It's bad to let DH go, isn't it? Even though he is the outgoing one. Even though he works with ladies all day long (school teacher).

The Mom said I could drop DD off at the party and come back for her, but DD isn't having any of that.

Either let me off the hook or give me a *nice* kick in the rear.

If your dh is willing, then go for it! That's fine. When some of my older kids were in Awana (many, many years ago), there was no way I could go to stuff because we still had babies here at home. I think dh was the Awana dude for 4 years before anyone knew he really did have a dw. LOL.

Do what you need to do. ETA: I still hate stuff like this and if we still had a dd at home dh would be the man. LOL.

Ria

What a lovely opportunity for your hubby to be involved in his daughter's life. This will actually help you get to know the other ladies in a less, uh, loud, environment because they'll all come up to you the following Sunday to tell you how sweet your husband is and how lucky you are to have a man who "helps." There you go, I've given you a heads up so you have time to prepare an answer for them.

;)

Rosie

I hate stuff like this, too, & dh is awesome about helping out.

I think you're fine to let him go for you BUT what if y'all went together? You could have a chance to get to know the ladies from your church w/out being stuck talking for too long.

GL. And tg for wonderful dh's like this!

It's totally fine to have your dh go. Don't beat yourself up over being shy.

It's one thing to get to know people when you see them on a regular basis, when you can slowly get to know each other, but if you aren't an outgoing person, something like this would be a nightmare! Plus, if your dh goes, he can scope all of the women out for you and see which would make a good friend!:001_smile:

Well, going together would have been fun but my 6yo son wasn't invited (very pricey birthday party so they kept it DD's age group & gender) so that wouldn't work.

Then definitely stay home & take a bubble bath or something. I've never regretted that choice, & when I force myself to go to something--ugh. Not always as bad as I expect but almost never enough better to be worth the emotional exhaustion.

Well, it's probably too late for my reply, but....

It's fine for your dh to go.

But, if you go, be sure to wear socks. Parents get to play too, you know! (I think Pump it Up is lots of fun -- for me, lol.) You could be busy 'playing' & not have time to talk much, kwim?

My husband does stuff like this all the time. He doesn't mind and even enjoys taking the kids to things like this, while I look at these types of events with dread. Every once in a while I worry that people will think I'm uninvolved with my kids, but when I think about how ridiculous that is, I easily let it go.

Lisa

Are you feeling like you both need to go? Or does going to parties seem like just a Mom job? Or does your husband not like being asked to do things alone with the kids?

I wouldn't think twice about it. We tend to consult on our calendars here and whoever is or feels most free takes the kids where they need to go. Why would you feel bad about not going - assuming that your DH isn't supposed to be somewhere else.