Menu

Doesn't this house sound lovely?

For Sale by Owner - Our beautiful 1921 farmhouse is located just minutes from historic downtown Oxford, NC. It sits on 8.5 acres of gently rolling pastureland. A creek bisects the property feeding into a ½ acre pond. The property has been partially fenced and is ready for horses or other livestock. The property is currently being used as an organic homestead with a large garden area, pear and apple trees, concord grapevines, blueberry bushes, a barn with milking stanchion and barnyard and a chicken coop. Other outbuildings are: a smokehouse, corncrib, woodshed, tractor shed and tobacco barn. All outbuildings are original.

The house features 6 fireplaces (two have gas lines added, one has a woodstove), 9 foot ceilings, original bead board on walls and some ceilings, original flooring, doors, windows and hardware. It has been renovated with modern electrical, plumbing and central heating and air. The heating system consists of a central gas furnace, and a Hampton woodstove. Wide plank pine flooring has been added in the kitchen and hallway. Both the floors and ceilings, but not the walls, have been insulated. It has 3 bedrooms, 1 bath (plenty of room for another one or two baths to be added), and is roughly 2100 square feet. The roof is less than 10 years old. Renovations still needed on this home are: wall insulation added, windows either replaced or re-glazed (they are original), some original floors have been paintednand need refinishing, updated kitchen cabinets and countertops (the appliances are all less than 5 years featuring smooth-top range and Amana stainless steel fridge over freezer).

This property is commuting distance to Raleigh, Durham and Research Triangle Park. It is 35 minutes north of the Costco in Durham and 50 minutes from RTP.

The town of Oxford is known for its beautiful turn of the century Greek revival architectural designs, tree-lined streets and small town charm. Some features of the town are:

Granville Athletic Park - an organically maintained park with nature trails, sports fields and concession stands, and an amphitheatre.

The Masonic Home – A historic orphanage still in use today as a group home for foster children. The grounds are beautiful and are made available to the city for sporting events.

Granville Little Theatre – A community theater company

Historic Downtown Oxford – Features restaurants, boutiques, churches, antique and shabby chic furniture shops.

Asking price is $215,000. It will not last long at this price.

The drawbacks are (1) we are not in the market for a house and (2) the commute for dh would be long - almost an hour, whereas now it's only about 20 minutes. Besides my commute to co-op, about an hour and a half! But the house and grounds and area sound lovely.

I hope they sell it! I hope all you with houses on the market sell too!

Edited by momofkhm
fixed formatting on quote

Guest IWantToBelieve

It does sound lovely. But I have to share...hubby and I were recently looking and this one home sounded like a dream. Almost 6,000 sq ft, pool, large utility workshop/garage (5,000 sq ft), separate bath house, on 2 + acres. Went out and looked at it and the people had added on to a small home in completely crazy fashion. The house was vacant, filled with bugs and signs of infestation. The kitchen was terrible. Words just really can't do it justice. It would have required a lot of work to right the wrongs. We walked away...and found a perfect home for less money! And this was after 1 1/2 yrs of seriously looking for a home that fit our needs.

Still, that description would surely have me setting up an appointment to go look if we were in that area!

Sounds great. Are there any pictures with the listing?

Actually this came through on the local yahoo homeschool group swap board. No pictures and no links to pictures either. I've noticed that people will tend to list their houses on the swap board here. But there are people who sign up for our yahoo group when they are about to move to the area. I just never thought of Oxford as "in the area."

Do you know how to get in contact with the person selling?

That is EXACTLY what we are looking for...organic farm, rural NC, house is livable, but might need work......etc etc etc etc.. We look almost on a daily basis for something like this.

I would love to get more info.

thanks

K