Menu

Do you own or rent?

Do you own or rent your primary place of residence?  

1. 1. Do you own or rent your primary place of residence?

• Own
    • Rent

Own...such a loaded word. lol

I do pay the bank a mortgage.

I wish it was possible to change a poll b/c right after I posted I realized I hadn't included an "own outright" option. Oh, well. For the purposes of this poll, we'll assume those with a mortgage "own" their home.

We're renting at present. We relocated last year, after selling two homes during the year prior to our move. We don't want to buy again in this economy unless we're committed to staying in an area long-term. We'll be making that decision this year.

We're military living in Northern California...even though the market has dropped significantly, there's no reason for us to buy when we could move at any time. The home prices are low here by California standards...not Florida (our home state) standards. We did spend about a week looking when we moved here and the realtor and lender tried to convince us that since we have no debt we could afford between 40-50% of my hubby's monthly income on a mortgage! I explained to them that there's a reason we don't have debt...its because we don't take that sort of advice. We decided to see what the rental market had to offer and low and behold, they're renting new homes here because the builders have lost so much money with the downturn in housing...so we've got a good deal.

For the Record: we've owned and sold one home in FL and it was a great investment.

We're renting at present. We relocated last year, after selling two homes during the year prior to our move. We don't want to buy again in this economy unless we're committed to staying in an area long-term. We'll be making that decision this year.

:iagree:

This is our situation also. We owned a home in Oregon. We sold and decided to move cross-country. I am not prepared to buy a house until I have found the area we want to stay in. North Carolina is full of wonderful people. (we have made more friends here in 2 yrs, than anywhere else we've lived) but I just don't think this is it for me.

Dh and I own our house. My dh started purchasing his home right after college, and when we were first married, we put big vacations and purchases on the back burner so we could concentrate on paying off the mortgage. I should say that was his idea - not mine - but I am so thankful he had that wisdom and forsight. Best financial decision we ever made.

Janet

Where's the Other category? We own a house we aren't living in and rent.

:iagree:

This is us too. We own a home in WI, but we're military so we rent a house where we're currently stationed. It's just not worth trying to buy a house and then hope that when they tell us it's time to move on try to sell it. The house we own is near my family and my brother is planning to buy it from us in the near future.

Bought our first house in 1978; our next house in 1979; the third house in 1987; and our last house (and possibly the final one) in 2004. Because we bought the first one so long ago, and the last one was in the San Francisco Bay area, we were able to pay for this one outright. Equity is a wonderful thing.

See this is the one time I actually NEED an Other!!

We don't rent or own right, we live in base housing! So we don't pay anything for housing, water, electric.

We owned before the Air Force. We probably won't buy for the next 15-20 years. We've moved every two years for the last 6. Next place is 3 years for certain (it's a residency) after that will maybe be 3 or 4 years, but no where we want to get a 'forever' house. Plus there are always plenty of rentals in military towns.

The next rental may be a little harder to find, because it won't be a military town, but the Manhatten end of Long Island. I'm hoping the economy will work in our favor.