Menu

The top of my piano key fell off (a white one). What now?

I think it depends on your piano - I had an old upright and paid a guy several hundred dollars to come in and put new - I don't know what they are called - covers for lack of a better word on the piano keys. I watched him do it and couldn't believe that I paid him that much to basically glue plastic covers on my piano keys. Then, they started popping off - we just used Elmer's Carpenter Glue (the base of my keys were wood - I don't know if all are) and were very careful not to let it drip or ooze out at all and they stayed on!

I have to emphasize that this wasn't a state-of-the-art piano or anything - just an old upright that we bought for $500. If I had a new baby grand, believe me, no one but a professional would have been anywhere near it with a bottle of glue :)

Are they plastic or ivory? Can you see light through the cover?

If it's an antique piano, and the keys are ivory, I'd call a piano store and ask for a recommendation.

If it's plastic, I'd use a light colored glue, or try to match the color of the previous glue, so that the key won't look discolored next to the other keys.

Look for a glue that says it will bond wood, and plastic. That way, you'll know that it won't pop off.

I'd try a piano store for a recommendation, too. If they weren't helpful (or suggested they fix it,) I'd just try fixing it with glue myself. If the cover falls off again, you haven't really lost anything. (It's already off now.) And if the glue works, then you've saved yourself a trip from a professional.

This started happening to us where two or three key tops came off. Then my ds' friend came over and ripped off a couple more because they were loose! I had the keys totally recovered. It took a couple of weeks and cost about $250 but it was so worth it. It looks like a new piano, at least the keys do. So just know that it is possible to have them recovered.

We had a Baldwin Acrosonic spinnet and experienced the same thing. Then one of my sons whacked the keys with a knitting needle and chipped a bunch of them. Like Soph, we had someone come in and recover the keys. It was worth it.

Ria

It has been a long time since I've glued keys, but way back when, I used to be a piano technician. If you do glue it yourself, make sure that the wood is clean before you glue on the plastic. You also really, really need to make sure that you don't drip any glue into the piano.

The advantage of a professional doing it is that they would (at least I would) actually remove the key from the piano, put glue on, clamp it, and then put it back after it was dry. Removing the keys is not possible though, unless you remove a good bit of other stuff from the piano.

Whether you want to pay for a professional depends on the value of the piano, and whether you have the money for the job.

Hope this helps,

Jean