Menu

The Winnie the Pooh books make terrible read alouds

I'm so sorry you haven't had a good experience with them! We love the WtP books, and several of us find them quite hilarious, but maybe it's just our sense of humor. I do have to say, though, that they become funnier to the dc as they get older, and yours are still quite young. My 11 yo thinks they are terribly funny, my 9yo smiles and chuckles, and my 5yo just listens. Maybe if you try again in a couple of years, it will go better.

Oh, no! I really think it might be a matter of "getting" the rhythm in them. They *can* be delightful -- but I can see how they would also make tough read-alouds. Still, they're one of my favorites -- right there with the Frances books, lol -- to read aloud, 'cause if you *do* find the rhythm of them, the way the various characters speak, they're just hilarious! So much fun. :)

But, you know, if you're not enjoying a book, there are plenty of others out there. ;) You can always do Winnie the Pooh at some other time.

My kids loved these as read-alouds! They were 6 and 4...a lot of the humor went over the younger one's head but my dd really got it. Some of our favorite funny lines are from these books. Maybe you could try one again when your children are a little older.

We love Pooh. They weren't as popular when the kids were very young but now they adore them, and so do I. There is some wry humor in the Pooh books that littles would probably miss. I love to do the voices of the different characters. Be sure to use the older books - the Disney-ized versions are not even Pooh in my opinion.

Funny, I'm finding that with a lot of other books too. Books that were not tolerated at 4 years old are wonderful at 7. My advice - keep trying, and don't stop reading picture books - ever. I subject my kids to all types of books (read alouds) - picture, chapter, and (sometimes edited on the fly for mature content) adult level books.

Well I know you didn't ask for advice but I've put it out there anyway. Good reading.

Dana

I guess I should clarify. :001_smile: The books are hilarious and cute and we love them. Some of our favorite saying come from the Pooh books. I just have a very hard time reading them aloud. So much of the humor comes from Capitalization of Very Important Words and similar things. I think I just posted what I did because I'm having a tough day/week/month and muddling through a tough read aloud is not on my list of fun things to do. (My dad is very ill and I'm exhausted and worried and all the other things that go along with that.)

Really, though, there's a lot that we love about Pooh.:D

I wanted to share, as some others have, that my oldest son really enjoys these books now at age 10. My younger ones will listen but much of the humor is over their heads. My ds10 will laugh out loud if he is the one reading! Maybe you will have the same experience if you revisit these books in a few years.:grouphug:

Oh, I feel your pain. I only read one, but now, the boys either listen to them on audio or read them themselves.

I love hearing my son Nathan recite them, though -- with the same voices as the audio narrator.

I think A. A. Milne knew what he was doing, as my boys just love the way they read.

I guess I should clarify. :001_smile: The books are hilarious and cute and we love them. Some of our favorite saying come from the Pooh books. I just have a very hard time reading them aloud. So much of the humor comes from Capitalization of Very Important Words and similar things. I think I just posted what I did because I'm having a tough day/week/month and muddling through a tough read aloud is not on my list of fun things to do. (My dad is very ill and I'm exhausted and worried and all the other things that go along with that.)

Really, though, there's a lot that we love about Pooh.:D

I've never read Pooh, but wanted to give you a :grouphug:.