Menu

Those without cable - digital TV problems

We live in a rural area and only get 3 channels to begin with (no cable, only antenna). When we hooked up our digital box, we now only get 1 channel.

I thought we were going to get more channels with digital TV. Is anyone else having trouble?

What is your experience?

Stupid question, but are you typing in the digital channels, like 3-1? You probably will need a rooftop antenna, if you don't already have one. That's kind of the big secret behind the transition that hasn't been talked about much. It's not just the converter box you need, but also the rooftop antennae to 'catch' the digital signals.

this is the antenna we bought - Popular Mechanics rated it the best a couple of years ago, and it was sold out forever on the Direct Antennas website; but then Amazon had it. http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direct-Lacrosse-Amplified-Antenna/dp/B000EN8226/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1233268005&sr=8-1

Stupid question, but are you typing in the digital channels, like 3-1? You probably will need a rooftop antenna, if you don't already have one. That's kind of the big secret behind the transition that hasn't been talked about much. It's not just the converter box you need, but also the rooftop antennae to 'catch' the digital signals.

this is the antenna we bought - Popular Mechanics rated it the best a couple of years ago, and it was sold out forever on the Direct Antennas website; but then Amazon had it. http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direct-Lacrosse-Amplified-Antenna/dp/B000EN8226/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1233268005&sr=8-1

We have an antenna for our analog channels, do we need a special digital antenna?

I don't think so....I think you can just hook that up to your converter box, from what I've heard. We didn't have a rooftop antenna, we had amplified bunny ears and they worked good enough, so I didn't really read anything on that. I know my FIL has a rooftop antenna that's not hooked up and he thinks he can just hook it up to his box and it would work. I don't know why it wouldn't - except there is something about UHF/...something else HF - VHF? I dont' remember, LOL, but the digital is only broadcasting on one of those signals, and some old rooftop antennas aren't formatted for that signal.

We got converter boxes this week. One tv has just a single antenna hooked to it and the other has rabbit ears ($10 ones from Walmart). We have A LOT more channels though only one is something we'd watch except if we wanted weather, maybe.

Anyway, hubby asked if you scanned the channels to find the others. Also, it is possible that you may get more right at the deadline.

We are just using plain-old rabbit ears, and it is working fine. Of course we are in a major metropolitan area, and have a clear line of sight to the near-by mountain where the antennas are located.

I do like the Zenith brand converter box we purchased.

Having extra PBS channels (especially) is a plus, and I'm hoping to have my son watch the Spanish language Sesame Street on one of those "extra" digital channels.

Bill

My husband was able to improve our reception by messing around with the antennae in the attic. Some days we get 3 channels for each of the major networks and other days we only get channels for 2 of the networks. I know that when the actual switch takes place, things will be moved about, so I am hoping we will get more consistent reception at that point.

Lisa

I think the issue is that we live in a valley between hills. Cell phones barely get coverage here.

We did scan - thanks for mentioning it. We will also look into the digital antenna. I think ours is too old. The problem is, once we get the antenna there is no guarantee it will work. Like I said we live in a bad spot for reception.

I think the issue is that we live in a valley between hills. Cell phones barely get coverage here.

We did scan - thanks for mentioning it. We will also look into the digital antenna. I think ours is too old. The problem is, once we get the antenna there is no guarantee it will work. Like I said we live in a bad spot for reception.

We lost several channels that we use to get as "snowy" channels. It was very frustrating. You either get a channel all the way in or it isn't in at all -- there's no middle ground.

We got a new antenna but given our somewhat rural area it wasn't that big of a help. We were thinking about getting a rooftop antenna but haven't done that yet.

Good luck.

Try http://www.tvfool.com as well for channels in your area. You can put in your address and it will give you a listing of channels you can expect to get with a set top antenna, an attic mount and a rooftop. My dad had been happy with an amplified antenna (or something along those lines). It sits inside by the tv and I don't think he has a rooftop antenna on this house.

The issue I have now is finding some sort of program listing for the additional channels we can get with the converter, as our local paper doesn't seem to list anything but the main PBS stations. Any suggestions? We haven't had any sort of tv for 3+ years and had cable or satellite with onscreen guides for several years before that, so I am out of the loop in finding listings elsewhere.

Edited by KarenNC

My husband bought some sort of signal booster to put on our line... it helped quite a bit. It is just a little thing that you plug into an outlet and hook up to your antenna feed and I don't think it was too expensive (I think about $40 adn at least it was cheaper than a new tv or sattelite service).

Try http://www.tvfool.com as well for channels in your area. You can put in your address and it will give you a listing of channels you can expect to get with a set top antenna, an attic mount and a rooftop. My dad had been happy with an amplified antenna (or something along those lines). It sits inside by the tv and I don't think he has a rooftop antenna on this house.

The issue I have now is finding some sort of program listing for the additional channels we can get with the converter, as our local paper doesn't seem to list anything but the main PBS stations. Any suggestions? We haven't had any sort of tv for 3+ years and had cable or satellite with onscreen guides for several years before that, so I am out of the loop in finding listings elsewhere.

I have Yahoo has my home page and it has a tv guide module that I use for my listings. We haven't even bought a tv guide for years and we've been very happy with yahoo.