Menu

Clarification and a prayer request

This is a prayer request, and clarification of my post yesterday about when kids can work independently at home for school.

This week we received a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome for Anna Joy. She asked me to put this information on the prayer chain, as she is beginning to really learn to trust and to pray. So she has asked for prayer. We have suspected for several years that she struggles as one with Asperger's would, and it was good to finally have this confirmed by a pediatric neurologist. There is much information on the internet re. Asperger's, and here is a good description for those who are interested:http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/aswhatisit.html We have a follow up appt. in two weeks with the neurologist. Anna Joy seems to be taking things in stride. Her biggest need, I believe, is for understanding, compassion and patience socially. She loves people, but doesn't really 'get' things we all seem to take for granted - what are called 'social cues.' Thus, it has been difficult for her to establish true friendships with her peers. And she has expressed some concern and sadness about this lately. She has adapted to Middle School well, but it is obvious that each day is filled with stress that is more than the norm. The noise( locker slamming, kids yelling), the rushing to classes, the cussing and rule breaking all around her (Asperger's kids are very rule bound), the lack of social acceptance...all this concerns me greatly, and my heart's desire is to bring her (and Timmy) both home to homeschool once again......this is probably not possible, but I can hope, right? The (inordinate for her) stress concerns me because the neurologist is also looking into the issue she had with her optic nerve. From what he can tell so far, and he will probably be ordering another MRI, she may be having migraine symptoms.....which are no doubt aggravated by excess stress...Apparently one can have symptoms of migraine which aren't (yet) the debilitating headaches that migraines are usually described as. And there is not much that can be done for this, excepting get rid of or learning to manage stress. So. Thanks for listening and for praying with us. I am getting ready to start an intensive master's program that will lead to me teaching full-time in the fall while also studying two nights per week. This is the last thing I want to be doing right about now....but seems to be what is needed for us, financially speaking. God knows best, and I trust that. But pray for us, if you would, that if a change of plans is His Desire we would know this soon.....I want to be here 100% for my daughter......esp. as she goes through her teens.....and for Steve and Timmy also...parenting Anna Joy is not easy, and we don't always do it full of grace......