Menu

Your regular school day at home.

How does it look? I'm not talking about those days when we have co-op classes, field trips, errands...just those days spent at home all day.

I'm just curious...or nosy.

I need to add more structure to our day. My oldest ds has adhd/odd and is unmedicated (by our choice due to reactions to meds). As much as I LOVE the idea of unschooling or at least a very relaxed schedule, he needs every minute planned and detailed.

Mostly I'm just curious/nosy!! ;)

I fixed this recently by putting myself on a very structured schedule. Part of our curriculum is on the computer and that has helped tremendously and I am very happy with the curriculum, too. (Switched on Schoolhouse)

My 3rd grader works with me off and on all morning. The other 4 spend about 2 1/2 hours on the computer.(On 2 computers) Whatever 2 aren't on the computer do their subjects that are not on the computer. After lunch, we do English From the Roots Up and Writing. Somewhere in there they work in at least an hour of reading.

We start at 7ish and end @ 2 or 3. I am here to go from kid to kid if needed. We have small, sporadic breaks here and there for snacks and lunch. If someone has some down time, they can do chores so they can play with friends when they get home from PS.

My schedule has everything from when to take vitamins to WiiFit worked into it. I have a time for my chores, as well. Every hour is structured, even if it is TV time. This has been very helpful for me.

We need structure and routine here too (oldest has ASpergers and, honestly, I just function better with a plan).

My day starts as close to 7 as I can get it. I work out first. Dh makes breakfast. We all eat together. I shower. We start school between 8:45 and 9 am. We start altogether with Sonlight reading. This includes our history, bible, and some of our literature (olders have additional reading). This takes about an hour.

When we're finished, I take the two olders and work through grammar, writing, geography, logic, and latin (each done every other day). This takes about another 30 minutes.

Then, I work with my oldest independently with Lightning Lit, math, spelling, and science. (Honestly, this takes all of 5 - 10 minutes - most of it is just "do the next lesson.) He goes and does his independent work.

Then, I work with my second oldest on math and spelling (again, this takes about 10 - 15 minutes). He works independently. Each of them will work for about 2 - 3 hours depending on the day.

Then, I throw in a load of laundry and clean up leftover breakfast dishes.

Then, I practice piano with ds8. Then, we do his schooling together. This only takes about 45 minutes. He usually has about 15 minutes of seat work and another 30 minutes of reading after that.

I go and hang the laundry and take down the day befores and fold it. Then I make lunch. The rest of my day is just doing household chores and grading papers. We school from Mon - Thursday and we don't leave the house on those days (barring illness or an emergency).

Good luck with your schedule!!

6:30 Me wake up, get DH's lunch, wake DD17

DD17 follows her own schedule so I'll just put mine and DD7's on here

7:00 Wake DD7

Breakfast, a little TV for DD7, morning routine stuff

8:00 School w/ DD7

We alternate between what I have to do with her and what she can do alone. During my free time, I do housework and computer stuff.

11:30 lunch and free time

12:30 Very little school left to do, sometimes none, we finish up and do some reading

2:00 Farm stuff, horseback riding, hikes, play outside, feed animals

4:00 Pick up/ cook dinner

5:00 Dinner

I know I have it easy schooling only 1 very obedient child. I am SO impressed with those who school many more or deal with disabilities and/ or difficult personalities. My hats are off to you. God bless you.

6 - Jo's up for bus

7 - Jo's off, I hang with dh till...

7:30 - Luke's up, we start making breakfast, dh leaves

8 - Andrew's up and eating

8:30 - call my sister

9 - Reading, Andrew reads a chapter of his book

(From here, time becomes less important ;) )

Spelling, Writing and Grammar

Math

Latin

(Lunch, if it's late enough)

Science

History

2is - we're done done done; we go outside/run errands/whatever

It's very structured over here as well. I have one adhd/spd, ds13, who desperately needs his routine otherwise he's very confused and frustrated. Here's how it goes:

630-my coffee

730-i run on the treadmill and get ds13 up..he does his chores and gets breakfast

830-finished running, get 3 other dc up and get breakfast, ds13 starts school on his own, I jump in the bath

915-I get my breakfast, younger dc play

930-start school with everyone

School till 12:30ish and break for lunch

Read during lunch-history or geography

130-finish up school..read, do timelines, map work, science,

3-discuss science with ds13, go over writing and work on assignment

We usually finish up by 4.

Then we chill and do supper, play outside...whatever!

Here's ours:

7:45 Practice violin (both)

8:00 Spelling, grammar, Latin, math with mom (big one), computer work (little one)

9:00 Math/Latin independent work (big one), work with mom on math, grammar, writing, etc (little one)

10:00 Writing (big one), work with mom on history and science (little one)

10:30 history/science/literature (loop schedule) (big one)

12:00 lunch

12:30 continue with history/science/literature

2:00 end

The 1st grader's schedule is more flexible than the 7th grader's. On days with outside classes we end at 11:30. Anything in the history/science/literature loop that doesn't get done during the week gets done on Saturday.

Mornings:

6:25 - I get up, make bed, shower, and fix breakfast

7:00 - ds gets up with his alarm, dresses,

makes his bed, feeds and waters the dogs

7:10 - eat breakfast together

7:35-ish - ds brushes teeth, does devotional; I dry my hair, get dressed,

sometimes put on face :D

7:45 - 7:50 - ds starts one-hour piano practice. I use this hour as I wish:

--either starting laundry, starting crockpot, time here at WTM boards,

bible reading, catching up on e-mails, etc.

8:45 - 8:50 - we start school.

8:50 - 9:50 - R&S grammar, followed by 40 minutes of either Latin or Spanish

9:50 - 10:10 - 20 minute break

10:10 - 11:10 - math

11:10 - 11:40 - Art of Argument

11:40 - lunch - ds does memory work while I fix lunch

11:50 or noon (somewhere in there) until about 12:30 = lunch - we do

our catechism discussion during lunch

Afternoons:

12:30-12:45ish - back to school

After lunch subjects are:

Writing - 30 minutes each day

History - usually 45 minutes

Science - usually 30 - 45 minutes

So, we usually finish around 2:30 - 2:45.

Ds then must read at least 40 minutes independently later on that day.

We both thrive on routine. Our schedule may vary by five or ten minutes, but not much more than that. We do vary the order of subjects some. Ds will sometimes flip writing and Art of Argument, but otherwise it is pretty much the same each day.

Our biggest difference is on Wednesdays when ds has his piano lesson. He doesn't practice on lesson day, thus, I "lose" my "free" hour in the morning.

Also, on Fridays we have no grammar and no writing. We do music appreciation (composer study) and art appreciation (this year architecture) instead.

HTH.

We're only doing K and school time is totally coordinated around ds's naps.

We eat, play, etc. until ds's morning nap (9-9:30ish), then dd has free-reading for 20 min and does 2 pages of ETC. Ds gets up just before lunch, so we eat and play (or do errands) until 2 when he takes his afternoon nap. This is when we get the bulk of our work done. We do all the "together" subjects first (like OPGTTR) then I do dishes or fold laundry while she does her independant work (math pages, handwriting). This keeps me close so she can ask questions (she always has one!). We usually finish school between 3-3:30. I don't know what I will do next year when school takes longer and ds doesn't take 2 naps!

Yours sounds like my oldest. My schedule for him was much like that I use with my youngest. There really hardly ever are any days when we're "just home all day", LOL (except this week with all the ice and snow), but I'll tell you how we do it:

8-8:30 Bible

8:30-9 Math

9-9:30 Spelling/Word Study

9:30-10 Handwriting/Writing

10-10:30 Grammar

10:30-11 Literature (I read aloud or we listen to something on tape, etc.)

11-11:30 Geography/Logic

11:30-12 Latin/Spanish

12-1 Lunch

1-1:30 Reading time (alone)

1:30-3:30 History/Science

Fridays are a lot lighter, with us just mostly finishing up things for the week. On Mondays, we get interrupted for a piano lesson in our neighborhood at 10:30. On Tuesdays we have an hour Spanish class at 11 about 5 minutes away. On Wednesdays, we've just started a Drama class that we drive to during lunch time. In reality, getting the written work done takes much less than the 30 minutes per section that I allow for it, so we have ample extra reading time in the mornings to help us make up for any interruptions.

It has helped my ADD son tremendously! I resisted for a long time, wanting the couch-schooling, relaxed approach. That just did not work for him. Oh, the battles we used to have over schoolwork.

This is how our day goes.

I try to start at 8:30. We have our read-aloud time (on the couch!), then the kids move to the kitchen table. I use HST and they have a list of assignments. We work until 10:00, then they take a break (15-30 minutes, depending on how much they got done). We then work 'til about 11:30 and break for lunch. After lunch, we finish up anything else that needs to be done.

I try to alternate work that requires a lot of thinking (like math) with a more relaxing subject (like history readings).

Interestingly, my non-ADD daughter absolutely loves the structure. We are getting school done so much more quickly and she appreciates having the free time in the afternoon.

We try and follow a structured schedule.

7:00 - 10:00 Latin, French, Math

Snack and short break

10:00 - 12:00 History, Science, Geography, Art

12:00 - 1:00 Run/walk, memory work

1:00 - 2:00 Lunch and chores

2:00 - 3:30 Language Arts

3:30 - 6:30 Outside time and/or karate

6:30 - 7:30 Dinner and chores

7:30 - 9:00 Literature and free reading

I have been completely unsuccessful in finding time for music this year.

Edited by Melissa B

Schedules make me happy :001_smile:

Apparently they make my kids happy too, since they all requested their weekly schedules be broken down by assignment and printed out for them. They LOVE marking things off! lol So I don't schedule time slots for each subject, they just do them in whatever order they feel like that day...with the exception of Bible lessons...we always start the day with that.

Our day goes:

8:30 - Breakfast

9:00 - Start the school day off with Bible. Then we do any history or science that needs to be done together.

12:30 - lunch break

1:00 - ? Just finishing up school work.

By 3:00-4:00 most days we have some where to be, whether it's Girl Scouts, Raptors, etc.

We have hit a life bump in our family so our structured days are a thing of the past. I hope to get back into the rhythm by next month. When we were structured this is what our days looked like:

I would get up at 6:30 for Bible reading and computer. The kids wake up at 7:30, have breakfast, chores and I clean up the kitchen. We start school at 8:30 with math, reading, writing and grammar with the two oldest and the youngest does math and reading. Then it is read aloud time. I do read alouds seperately with each child.

Lunch time.

After lunch we have a family read aloud, then we do one content subject for each afternoon. One afternoon it might be history, another day it would be classical studies, etc. By this time it is usually 2:30. The kids go in their rooms for quiet time for about an hour. Afterwards it is playtime or outside time depending on the weather. This is my time to exercise and clean up house. This brings us to supper.

Thank you all so much for your input!! It is so interesting to read.

I forgot to mention that this is our first year...my oldest went to ps for k-4. We took him out because we decided not to medicate but the teacher and pricipal didn't agree with the decision. Instead of helping him/us, they started treating him badly.

Anyway, all this to say he is most comfortable with the strict schedule like ps. He hasn't let go of that need to be told every move to make concerning his own education. We are making progress though and I see him becoming more and more interested...I've let him make some decisions regarding next year's curriculum and he was thrilled!! Made some GREAT choices too. We're getting there!

I think he will always need a very structured day just because of the adhd/odd. He also needs absolute zero distractions so we moved a table and chair into our bedroom for him. He does all of his work there quickly and efficiently, only coming out with a question or break time. We generally save those things he needs me for when the littles are napping or playing quietly. Also because of the adhd/odd, we really try to get as much done as possible in the mornings/early afternoon. Once he starts getting tired, its all downhill from there. We're better off just putting it away until the next day and going outside.

I appreciate the replies...very helpful and informative!!

How does it look? I'm not talking about those days when we have co-op classes, field trips, errands...just those days spent at home all day.

I need to add more structure to our day. My oldest ds has adhd/odd and is unmedicated (by our choice due to reactions to meds). As much as I LOVE the idea of unschooling or at least a very relaxed schedule, he needs every minute planned and detailed.

My husband and I go for an exercise walk anywhere from 9-10am. By 11am I wake my 12yo to see if he wants to get up. Sometimes he gets up at 11, sometimes at noon.

The 7yo and 9yo generally get up between 11 and noon. They eat breakfast while I clean up the bedroom/sala and turn the beds back into couches. I shower and they finish eating (DH makes breakfast) and then I head into the trailer to work with my 12yo. DH works on Singapore Math, Headsprout, copywork and Explode the Code with the girls while I work with the 12yo and 14yo. The girls work for an hour or so and then play the rest of the day. Friday they do SOTW and an activity and Wednesday we do Art (in addition to the above 4). I'm hoping to eventually add FLL and Spanish to the mix.

The 12yo does Math for 30-45 minutes while I work and then we read the Writer's Almanac, which sometimes leads to further poem exploration or reading more about a profiled author. He then does dictation from a poem or (right now) MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech. We then read some world culture (right now India), living history (right now "Gilgamesh The Hero") and some of our History spine (Bauer's Ancient History). He then gets some breakfast and sometimes does a jog around the palapa. We then do Spanish (a mishmash of Rocket Spanish, Spanish for Children, videos off You Tube and others), he does independent reading (his choice) and reads a chapter from an assigned (by me) book (right now "Snow Treasure"). Twice a week we do Sociology (Read from World Religions, Save The Children, or "Teens with the Courage to Give"), Art (right now working on Van Gogh and self portrait), once a week a science experiment, once a week each Teaching Company DVDs of "Joy of Thinking" and Ancient Cultures. I think there might be more once a week stuff but I'm not sure. Oh yeah, Critical Thinking and more I can't remember. Guess I need to add memory work for me. :)

Edited by jamnkats

Dh and I get up around 7:30. Sometimes we chat and sometimes we "chat." I make coffee. We have coffee. Sometimes we listen to music. Dh leaves for work around 8:30-8:45.

I drink a big cup of coffee and check e-mail or I hang out on the couch in silence- with the cup of coffee of course.

At about 9:30 I wake up my big boys. They have breakfast, shower, whatever. Occasionally, I announce that it is time to get started. If something isn't getting done, I may request that the ds stay downstairs for that subject. The little guy sleeps as long as he likes- sometimes until noon.

We eat lunch together at 1:00. We discuss what has been accomplished and what needs to be accomplished. We usually watch dog whisperer- or at least it plays in the background.

We get back to work. The boys have a snack at some point. I definitely leave space for masterly inactivity in the afternoons. This is when I bathe.

I do not like to schedule-schedule, that is icky :glare: ,but I do like check lists.:D Middle ds and little ds both have excel spreadsheets with all their work for the week broken down by day. Even with little ds I do not dictate what needs to be done when. I let him choose. They may not do their work when or in the order I would choose; however, there is nothing about micromanaging a child's life that IMHO prepares them to be independent.

We eat dinner about 8 or so. We hang out. We go to bed about midnight.

Hey, guess that means that it is time for bed.

Mandy

My son and I each have alarms set for 7:30. He generally noodles around the house waking up while I take my shower and dress. Sometimes, like this morning, if he's feeling particularly motivated to get the day's work done, he'll go ahead and start on something while I'm showering.

Today, for example, he did a couple of pages of Greek and some of his assigned reading before I had managed to shower, dress and make his breakfast. He is now sitting at the dining table eating his oatmeal and doing more assigned reading. (He usually reads over breakfast.)

Once he's done eating, he'll go take his shower and get dressed. While he's doing that, I'll do the breakfast dishes and maybe start a load of laundry. (Or, sometimes, I'll just sit here and read the news online or check the boards.)

When he's ready for the day, he'll come into our schoolroom/office, and we'll start math. He's doing and online algebra course, and our routine is for both of us to log in on our separate computers and go through the day's lesson together. I then print out the assignment, and he works the problems. He hands each page to me to check as he finishes. I point out any errors, and he makes the corrections. When he's finished, he submits the answers online, and I record the grade in my log book.

After that, he usually works on geography, which he's doing online through Florida Virtual School. Again, I often read through the lesson with him but leave him to do the assignments independently. I am, of course, available to answer questions or point out resources.

In theory, the next thing up should be English, since I really prefer for him to do all the subjects in which I am directly involved early in the day. We usually have a couple of pages to go through in his text or the current writing model to read and discuss. We do all of the stuff in the text (reading comprehension, grammar, vocabulary, etc.) orally, taking turns reading paragraphs aloud.

We usually finish the above by 11:00-ish. From that point on, he's pretty much independent. We work out his plan for what he's going to do each day on Monday and enter notes into his weekly planner. So, he then just has to do those things. Today, for example, all he has left after finishing the Greek, math, geography, English and literature reading is Spanish, history reading and science reading.

He'll probably take a break for lunch (making his own) and may watch an hour of the current educational DVD that arrived yesterday. During the afternoon, he'll do Spanish, the history and science reading and music practice. As he finishes each chunk of reading, he'll come and tell me about it.

By the way, there is no day when we're home "all day." My son has at least one activity/class/rehearsal scheduled for every weekday afternoon. We leave the house every day sometime between 2:15 and 3:45.

We go a couple of times a week to let him practice on the big pipe organ downtown. We're tentatively scheduled to do that this afternoon. If so, we'll need to leave by 2:45 so that he can get in 45 minutes or so of practice before heading over to his dance classes. If we decide against going up there today, he'll practice a while at home and we'll leave for dance at 3:45. We have tickets to a show this evening, which will make for a late night, and I plan to lobby for practicing at home today.

We don't eat dinner at home with Dad on Fridays, because dance runs right through any reasonable dinner time. Instead, my son eats a big lunch and then snacks before and after dance classes.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

My ds loves a scheduled school day, outside of school time we are more laid back. Structure in our school day is vital.

7:30-8am get up (dh is usually walking out the door when we get up)

8am - 10am - morning stuff, get dressed, eat breakfast, brush hair and teeth

10am - read aloud time (subject related)

10:30 - quiet reading time (usually both of us)

11am - lunch break

11:30 Latin

Math

(30 minute break)

? - composition (classical writing)

(another short break)

either Greek, Geography, or Nature Study

Fun Read-aloud time

Fridays are a little different as we do science instead of Latin and comp.

We are usually done anywhere from 2:45 to 3:30. after that we have some free time until dinner around 6pm.

In the evenings we hang out with dad. Bedtime is 10pm.

This probably won't help you at all, because we aren't very structured now that the kids are all in high school.

At 5:45, the boys and one of the girls gets up and works on math til 7:00. Other dd gets up a bit later, and starts on her schoolwork. At 7:00, everyone eats breakfast and the boys go out with their dad to feed cattle.

When they get in they go back to school. Usually before lunch, unless there's been some sort of cattle breakdown. Lunch, then back to school. Sometimes in the late afternoon they'll go out with dad again to haul hay, fix fence, whatever.

I basically just oversee what they do. Dh and oldest dd help the triplets with their math, because once we got to Algebra I was pretty useless. One dd works very slowly, but does such a great job I don't try to hurry her along, but I do worry about when she gets to college and needs to work faster. Both girls practice piano during the day whenever they like, oldest practices a couple of hours, younger not quite that long.

Math is always first, then I like them to do Latin, Bible, History, writing. Logic, but not everyday. Lots of reading. No tv or games on during the week.

My schedule has everything from when to take vitamins to WiiFit worked into it...Every hour is structured...

I have tried this approach before and failed miserably. I just don't make myself stick to it. Good for you!!! Maybe I'll try it again as we are starting to get a bit slack around here again!

Our day is basically get out of bed between 7:30 and 9:00 am. School starts about 10ish, and is over about 2ish. We have a lunch break in there at some point that can last long enough to eat and get back to work. Or it can be up to an hour with play and computer or reading time.

After school we have some free time then dinner, nightly clean up, family time and bed.

A scheduled day is pretty important around here. It ensures that we get everything done and it also ensures that the kids know what is expected of them.

7:30 - one boy practices violin. The other kids eat and do morning chores.

8:00 - dd (13) starts her spelling, Latin, and French

8:30 - the other boy practices while first boy does his morning chores.

9:30 - we all get together for Bible, memory, and to talk about the day

10:15 - ds(6) spends 10 minutes in the math lab while I get ds(8) started with a Singapore math lesson. Lately, I've been able to do a few minutes of RS A with ds (3) during this time as well. Once I set ds(8) up I do RS B with ds(6).

11:00 - FLL - I'm doing level 3 with both boys

During this time dd is working independently on math.

11:30 - Lunch and lunchtime chores.

12:15 - the boys have silent reading and then free time while I work on CW with dd.

12:30 (this is usually more like 1pm) - I work on AAS and writing with the boys.

1:15 (or later) we do science or history and then the boys are finished.

I check in with dd to see how she's doing and see if she needs help with anything. She usually works until about 3:30 or so.

I probably should have added that we need our day scheduled for similar reasons. We have a time schedule, as well as a check-list for each week and lately we've been sitting down and writing out our day on a white board. The idea is that it should be easier to change plans if it's on the white board because we can just erase something and write something else in and (theoretically) the world does not end. He really likes having his day written out on the white board.

Guest janainaz

I'm up no later than 6am and from that time I do laundry, pick-up, clean, drink coffee, check email, make breakfast, take a shower. My ds8 (in 3rd grade) starts school about 9am - give or take a few minutes. The routine I try to follow is:

9:00 - 10:00 - Math

10:00 - 10:15 - Spelling

10:15 - 10:30 - Latin

10:30 - 10:50 - FLL

11:15 - 12:00 - History

12:00 - 2:00 - Lunch and Park (or whatever)

2:00 - 2:30 - Writing With Ease

2:30 - 3:00 - Science

Certain subjects I get my ds going on and he can do by himself (like math, spelling and latin). I get to spend time with my 4 year old during this time. Our day is not always neat and tidy following that schedule and some days I'm more flexible (meaning - we leave for the park earlier and do more in the afternoon instead).

When my ds4 starts first grade, we'll have more of a "schedule" that we stick by. I do think that my ds8 does better on days we follow the schedule a little. I feel better, I'm more focused and our days go more smoothly.

I am homeschooling 1 child this year. We use K12 and it is all planned out on the computer, so we log in and I check the daily plan and alter it however I need to (usually adding in extra lessons in any area that we've missed or fallen behind in).

My 12yob is very obedient - it helps that no one else is around to mess around with (that will change next year when I bring 2 more home to school!). Basically, we have breakfast, chores and start lessons about 8:30am. He breaks between subjects to take the dog out. We break for lunch sometime 11-ish. We work until 2:30pm and sometimes work again while siblings to homework. I think my days are easy - because son is so cooperative and everything is planned out for me.

Our start time fluctuates depending on when dh leaves for work, he works later and often misses them in the evenings so we spend our mornings together until he leaves. Once we start we follow basically the same schedule everyday, switching between history and science but everything else happens everyday. We have a light schedule on Fridays and are schooling on a more year-round basis. We also all sit down together and I get ds3 and dd5 done first while dd7 works on her independent bible study. They are done early and head off to play while dd7 and I do math and language work. Then everyone comes back together for read-alouds (dd5 and ds3 are doing Core 4/5) and dd7's history reading. We do our best to complete our work by 1 except on Tuesdays when we start our day with piano and music classes. I regret signing up for classes on a Tuesday morning, they really mess with our week and we lose momentum so next year we will leave our classes for afternoons or Fridays. HTH

Our schedule is a little different, in part because I need to work undisturbed for a period in the AM. I would add that no one in the family is a "morning person".

9:00-9:45 - my son wakes up

45-60 mins - reading (literature, science, history) and breakfast

45-60 mins - math

15-30 mins - Latin

20 mins - break for shower and dressing

30-60 mins - lunch, during which he watches educational videos or listens to CDs of literature

15-30 mins - vocabulary, grammar

45-60 mins - writing

15 mins (optional - depends on the time) - music appreciation

15-30 mins - reading

We usually end around 3:00-3:30. Many days he has afterschool activities: karate, acting, piano lesson, community basketball.

We always do some work in the evening:

20 mins - piano practice

10 mins (1x/week) - music theory homework

10-15 mins - poetry recital/memorization

20 mins - reading fiction

On the weekends he does the following:

60 mins on Sunday - chess class

20 mins/day - piano practice

45-60 mins/day - reading

occasional workshops at local zoo, museums, university, etc.

Edited by plimsoll

Our dc make and follow their own schedules. I tell them the group things that must be included and they get together and decide those times and let me know where I have to be when. I recently pared this down quite a bit. We'll see how it goes. They also know which books they have to get through for each subject. And the below is only for Monday - Thursday. Friday's are flexible days - library (where ds and I are at now), longer assignments, hobbies, or whatever. Most of them have a few subjects on Saturdays. Sundays, dh does Calculus and Physics with ds's. Dh also plays bridge with dd's on Sunday. And many chores are being done all day long by dc.

4:30 - 7:30am = dh leaves sometime in there; rest of us up and do teeth/hair/faces/Bible individually; I feed dogs; vacuuming person feeds cats; dd's let chickens out of coop and feed/water them; person with kitchen wipes off table as we all straggle in for Greek

7:30 - 8 = Greek

8 - 10 = 16yod and 20yod at table with me for some math; rest do whatever's on their schedules

10 = all listen to J. Vernon McGee on radio

10:30 = dc all doing own school, individually

12:30 = tape (1/2 of a sermon by John MacArthur)

1pm = sing hymn and all at table to read Hermeneutics book

1:30 = all - logic

2:00 = all - math

around 2:30 or later = all off doing individual school or whatever they have scheduled; I usually take dog walking and sometimes dc come, too.

Dc set own bedtimes and those vary.

We have a fairly detailed schedule, a la MOTH. I hardly ever follow it exactly but it helps me know what I'm missing if I don't do what I've planned. I work from home as a computer programmer 15 - 20 hours a week. Also as you can tell we start pretty late in the day, but stay up late as well.

9 Mom - wake(takes a while), boys - sleep or free

10 Mom -paid work, Boys - wake & morning chores

11 All - School

12 Mom -fix lunch, snack Older - school, Younger - free

12:30 All - lunch

1:00 Mom -paid work, boys - play outside

1:30 Mom -paid work, Older - school, younger - free

2:30 All - school

3:30 All - snack

4:00 mom - paid work, boys - afternoon chores

5:00 Mom - chore of the day, boys - free

6:00 Mom - cook dinner, boys -free

6:30 All - dinner

7:00 Mom - time with hubby, boys - play upstairs

9:30 Mom - bathe boys, boys - baths & Snack

10:00 Mom - shower, boys - teeth & story (with Dad)

10:30 Mom - free, Older - room time, younger - bed

11:30 Mom - bed, Older - bed

Chore of the day: M - parents' laundry, T - bills & paperwork, W - kids' laundry, R - errands (will take more time and push other things from schedule) F - House Laundry (sheets, towels, kitchen)

I have an aspie dd as well. I have learned to try to do things in the same order every day. We tried putting a time on everything, however, when we got off it would make her uptight. Now we just try to stay with the flow.

6:30 I drag myself out of bed and do Wii Fit, dh gets up shortly after and uses it after me.

7:30 I shower and wake dd's. Sometimes I let them sleep till after the shower.

7:30 to 8:30 girls are getting up and waking up and eating breakfast. If there is time, the younger one grabs the Wii Fit after dh.

8:30 (or thereabouts) we start school. Math & Science get done first for dd14, once she's overloaded with the day, she can't concentrate on these subjects, so they get done first. Younger dd does math first because I can't stand math and need to get it out of the way for me:D Dd 7 then does ETC

10:00ish we do our history readings. History never takes the same amount of time.

After History older dd does Geography, Latin, Vocab or English worksheet. If there is any time before left before lunch, she begins her lit assigned reading.

After History younger dd does Five in a Row with me. She also does some copywork, English, and Geography depending on she is doing.

Sometime around noon or 12:30 we break for lunch. Younger dd is done, except for some reading.

After lunch dd14 does any writing assignments, any literature readings, and piano practice. She is usually done somewhere between 1-2:30. She gets overloaded so easy that we keep her work to a minimum after lunch.

After 3:30 they can watch movies, play the Wii, or computer.

Typical Day at our house (Just about every school day except a field trip day). I'm a person of routines, not schedules.

Everyone up by 6am.

Get dressed, make bed, chores, etc.

Eat breakfast (we usually all read the newspaper & chit-chat)

Clean up from breakfast, brush teeth...

8am - School starts with Bible. After that it's usually math. But after math, I don't care. The kids have a list and they can do whatever subject they want. When they get antsy they get a break or I do a read-aloud in the living room or outside (whatever mixes it up and gets us moving).

12pm - Lunch & a read-aloud; then play until 1pm.

1-2pm - Sometimes we need to finish up history or science. Sometimes we do an art project, go for a walk, etc. The point is that I consider this hour when I'm still "on duty" with the kids and I make sure to do something fun with them. Fridays we go either to the library, on a nature walk, or to the park depending on weather.

After 2pm - the kids play (outside, with legos, etc.). I get housework done and dinner prepped.

3:30pm - Dh home. He putters outside and the kids follow him around. I start seriously thinking about dinner.

5pm - We eat & have family devotions & Dad's read-aloud.

6pm - Usually a family walk, bike ride, game, etc.

7pm - baths, bedtime routine, evening chores. Reading in bed for an hour.

8-8:30 - Lights out for kids.

10pm - Lights out for grown ups.

At 8 a.m. the kids need to start their chores (get dressed, make beds, empty dishwasher, etc.) then we have breakfast. Most days I do our Bible reading with them while they eat. By 9 at the latest we start schoolwork. The boys usually do schoolwork until about 11:30 then we have lunch. After lunch they practice their tae kwon do. When they are do with that, they finish up whatever school work they have left. (Usually our 7 yo is done before lunch.) After that is a half hour of free reading. Neither one would read at all so I have to make them. After that our oldest usually has something to do outside. If they get all their schoolwork done and chores finished then they can go visit people or play on the computer or play Legos. We have tae kwon do every weeknight so we go there and then come home for supper. Then it's time for bed.

What has helped greatly with our oldest is an assignment book. On Friday nights, I fill out their assignment books for the next week. Our oldest really likes knowing exactly what it is he has to do every day for schoolwork. It also keeps them on track because we have a lot of interruptions. We manage an RV park so I'm in and out all day dealing with people--taking rent money, checking people in, filling propane tanks. The boys share a big desk in the office. If they get to a subject where I need to help them (like spelling) and I'm not available, then they have to move on to something else they can do like copywork. It helps keep them focused. Of course, as I'm typing this, I have just realized that they didn't do their free reading today. But they did have their Spanish class at the library this afternoon. That must have been what messed us up!