Menu

Do you expect your DC to go to college?

I educate my children with the assumption of college.

For one very basic reason.

I've yet to meet anyone who at 25 or 30 wanted the same things as at 16, but they can't redo highschool.

I figure if I prepare them for college and they don't go - that's their choice.

If I don't prepare them for college and they don't go because they feel they can't - that's me removing possibilities from their options.

Education is supposed to open doors not close them. That doesn't mean my kids will walk through every door, but I want them to have the choice to do so.

I've never met anyone who was prepared for college who couldn't take technical or other training if they'd rather.

But I've met a LOT of people who had to spend a LOT of money on remedial classes just to get started on college or who had limited choices of schools/scholarships because of poor high schooling. (that applies to public/private and homeschooled)

just my haven't graduates any kids yet opinion.;)

Is it your expectation that your children will be going on to four-year university? If not, what are your plans/expectations? Will they go to a community college? Or vocational school? Or straight into the workforce?

Obviously, plans and life can and do change! But I'm curious as to what most of you are working towards in your homeschool, academically wise.

If you do not expect your child will go to a four-year university, what do you do differently in high school?

Michelle T

Well, I have a teensy bit more time to think, so I'll attempt a more in-depth answer, FWIW. The truth is I don't try to second guess my dc anymore. If they want to go to college, fine. We'll find a way. If not, fine. We'll do something else. It's not about my expectations. It's about what they want to do.

When my oldest son was a teen, I fully 'expected' him to go to college. Only he was an extremely mechanical kid. He was going to do something mechanical (I'm talking cars, motorcycles, etc.) no matter what my 'expectations' were. His talents were that strong. Currently, he and his wife have no kids, but they DO have a basement and a 2-car garage FULL of tools of every kind, motorcycles, guns, etc. If it's a tool or tool-related, he's got it.

I think by insisting on the college 'dream', I totally ignored his real talents, which totally confused him and made him feel like a failure on some level, even to this day. So, yes, I educate using WTM which is stated to be college prep. But, no, I'm not 'expecting' them to go to college. I'm only 'expecting' them to do their best at whatever they ultimately decide to do. Which, btw, will probably amount to many different careers in their lifetimes if the current economy continues the way it is.

Our take.

That said we have always presented college to our son as let's figure out what natural talents you have, what you love to do and then decide which college and program would provide the best education in that field. Our ds is working very hard so he can get into the physics with a micro electronics concentration at the school of his choice. He loves electronics and has been very talented at it since he was young. This is also my dh field so they do a lot of projects together.

Karen

So far all my children are thinking not only college but grad or professional school. My middle one who is debating between a number of options one of which is the military has decided she is definitely not enlisting but if she chooses that option, ROTC or OTS or maybe an Academy. Her other ideas include possibly a law degree. Anyway, since DH has a Phd and I have ABD, they grew up just having the expectation of higher education. When my oldest had a medical break from college and was thinking he wouldn't return, it didn't take that long for him to realize that lack of education is not a good place to be in a recession. He is back in a new college and very excited and happy to be there.

I haven't read all the posts, but yes, we are definitely educating our girls with the assumption that they will go to college. I know that college can't open every door in life, but I just can't imagine their continued education in any other way. It's not the "be all and end all" for everyone, but for our girls we feel it's a necessity.

In agreement that a graduate degree is now the new bachelor's degree, especially given the billions of dollars that are going to remedial ed for incoming college students.

From what I am seeing higher ed is no longer the "ticket" to a successful, stable or high paying job, especially if you are a white male (think EOE). Entreprenurial skills are where it's at. Can our kids problem solve, think outside of the box, pool resources, strategize, pull in people and resources that know more than they do? We are now a global economy and our kids will be competing on a global scale. Higher ed and good grades are not necessarily going to distinguish them or create opportunities for them.

My second daughter is a late bloomer. Her sister was an academic standout. DD#2 struggled with language development and social challenges throughout childhood until she hit about 16yo. She's not got the "math brain" and won't be an engineer, but interestingly enough, she's studying two foreign languages in college this semester and loving it!

Kelli, I don't know your youngest, but I would like to share "my story." My parents didn't believe I would ever go to college or be anything more than maybe a waitress or a sec't. Their words not mine but that was their attitude. Carole was not college material. I didn't read, or write, or keep up with my peers academically. My sister recently asked me if I rememberd all the hours she spent tutoring me in math, all through grade school cause I didn't understand any of it. I remember her spending time working with me on math, and my other sister trying to teach me how to spell, and mom tellilng me I was going to summer school again cause I couldn't keep up with the other kids.....

I was a late bloomer, or maybe it was the new school district we moved to in another state when I entered high school, where the teachers didn't know me, or my family, or my older siblings.... I went to college, majored in Engineering, paid for my entire way through college on academic scholarships I won. Went on for a MS in Engineering. Went on for an MBA. My folks were shocked to say the least. Maybe your youngest will be a late bloomer too.

Carole

Is it your expectation that your children will be going on to four-year university? If not, what are your plans/expectations? Will they go to a community college? Or vocational school? Or straight into the workforce?

Obviously, plans and life can and do change! But I'm curious as to what most of you are working towards in your homeschool, academically wise.

If you do not expect your child will go to a four-year university, what do you do differently in high school?

Michelle T

Michelle,

Yes the expectation is that they will go to college. I suspect that if they get scholarships it will be a 4 year university, but if they don't they will stick around home and do community college.

In the end though they will make their own decisions, and dh and I will step back and let them.

My goal in hsing is to prepare them for anything they might want to do. That doesn't mean just when they are in High School, because lets face it High School is not the...a...wisest time of a kids life, KWIM? They might not want to do anything then, but things can change drastically in a few years, as my dh can testify. He did poorly in schook, but was the first person in his family to have a four year degree. That he got well into his 30's, and he wishes now he had taken school more seriously back then. What I mean to do is give them the tools to be able to have lots of opportunities. When and how they use those skills will be up to them, but they won't lack them just because they decide in 9th grade they don't want to go to college. Those skills will still help them in the work force even if they never set foot in a college.

Heather

My kids may or may not go to college, just as they may or may not get married and have kids. In both cases, it's my hope and, to some degree, my expectation, that they will. I speak of college and family with enthusiasm, but I'm careful not to make it sound as though either are always God's will for every person.

I no longer do expect my kids to go to uni, but I have prepared them up to this point so that they could if they chose. As time goes on, it's looking less likely- one wants to be an artist (well, thats the latest), the other a businessman-, but my intention is instead to put them through what is called TAFE here, which I am not sure what is the U.S. equivalent, but it used to be considered technical college. Nowadays many people say it is a better place to get skills relevent to the workforce, anyway.

My dd will be doing an entry level course this coming year by correspondence which should allow her to do anything in TAFE- since she wants to do art but has little interest in doing courses in art other than the watercolour ones she is already doing- and the fact she has a bookwork job in a small business- I am thinking to get her some basic business skills, perhaps computer and secretarial skills- just to give her something to fall back on- while she is still homeschooling. Thats if she doesnt develop an interest in another direction.

The other kid just wants to make money, and is non academic, so I am thinking TAFE business school.

Then if either want to go to uni they can get there with TAFE diplomas easily. Saves them doing the wretched TEE (end of highschool exams here that waste 2 years of a kids precious life!).

Anyway, plans are subject to change. We are loose about it and encourage the kids to follow their passion but with a practical edge. Their dad is entrepreneurial, and both kids also have that confidence and tendency, and I think that gives them a better edge than an automatic uni degree.