Menu

Bread made by hand vs Bread made in Bosch

Does making bread in a machine alter the characteristics of the bread significantly? I am using the exact same recipe, with the same wheat, milled in the same mill, baked in the same pans in the same oven. The only thing that has changed is that I'm trying to use my new Bosch to mix it instead of kneading it by hand and now my bread is terrible.

http://tadmitchell.com/cookbook/wheatbread.html

I have been making this recipe (I make 1 and 1/2 recipes since my pans are quite large) by hand for many months. It has turned out every time and we love the flavor of it. I just got my Bosch last week and I've tried twice and both times it hasn't worked well.

The first time I didn't knead it as long as the recipe stated because I was worried about overkneading it. The second time I ran the machine exactly the recommended times. Both times the dough was extremely sticky and I couldn't form it into a loaf. Just plopped the gooey mess in the pan. Both times it rose well and completely overflowed my pans.

Then I tried baking it. When made by hand, the dough took 32 minutes. When made in the machine, it took about 45 minutes to get the bottom done (by which time the top was burnt and I even covered it with foil the second time). The crust was also much tougher (even the bottom which wasn't burnt). THe second time the bread dropped in the oven which I'm guessing was a result of the gluten being overdeveloped.

So why does the mixer change so many characteristics about my once good bread?

I'm sure if I experiment long enough, I will get something to work but my kids are not happy with my burnt tough crusts. I waited to buy a mixer until I was sure I could keep up with making our bread but so far the mixer is NOT making me happier.

I love the Bosch, but I'm not the best kneader either. I've made bread for years hand kneading it though. When making with the Bosch make sure you add enough flour so that it is only slightly sticky (you dont get dough on your finger when you test) just keep adding till that point. Then knead it till you can take an egg size ball of dough and stretch it. If it tears, knead it longer. I usually knead 7 minutes.

HTH

Lora

The first time I didn't knead it as long as the recipe stated because I was worried about overkneading it. The second time I ran the machine exactly the recommended times. Both times the dough was extremely sticky and I couldn't form it into a loaf. Just plopped the gooey mess in the pan. Both times it rose well and completely overflowed my pans.

Then I tried baking it. When made by hand, the dough took 32 minutes. When made in the machine, it took about 45 minutes to get the bottom done (by which time the top was burnt and I even covered it with foil the second time). The crust was also much tougher (even the bottom which wasn't burnt). THe second time the bread dropped in the oven which I'm guessing was a result of the gluten being overdeveloped.

I'm not sure exactly how things would change by using the Bosch vs hand kneading (I went from a KA mixer to my Bosch), but it sounds like your dough is way too wet if it's a gooey mess. You still need to add enough flour to make the dough a nice consistency when using the Bosch. It does seem to mix the flour in very well, and I always use a little extra when forming the loaves (kneading it in gently) to keep them from getting too sticky.

Here is my recipe and it turns out great everytime:

2c water

1/3 cup honey

1/3 cup oil

2tbsp yeast

mix a little on M than add:

6c flour

1tbsp salt

2tbsp dough enhancer

Mix on 1 for 6 minutes.You can add a little more flour if after you have it going for a minute or 2 the dough does not pull away from the sides of the Bosch bowl. You want to make sure it is pulling clean away from the side of the bowl, but not too much flour or it will make a heavy loaf. Spray your hands with oil before working with dough. I roll out my loaves like french bread shaped (and it makes 4 loaves), but if you want to put it in a traditional bread pan it would probably make 2 loaves, but I am not sure about that. Let it rise for 30 minutes than bake. HTH! :001_smile: