Menu

Where to buy a used Apple desktop computer in good condition?

There wa a place in Tampa that i was going to buy used from - BUT, really, they hold their values soooo well that there wasn't enough of a difference from new for the spec changes.

I wouldn't spend much on a G4/G5 at this point. The next version of the OS drops support too.

So for me, i wasn't willing to spend over $400 for something used - and I spent $499 on my Mini "new" from the refurb store. It was an intel computer vs the $399 i was going to pay for a G5 tower.

Our local Apple dealer recently closed up shop. We need to find a used one in good condition and at a reasonable price... new is too much right now. Does anyone have any suggestions?

what is your budget, what are your needs, and how mac savvy are you? that information would influence what recommendations i would make.

i wish I could pack up my mac and send it to you. I (simply put) despise my machine. I long for the good old days of my Dell. I have no Mac savvy, and it is driving me crazy. ANyways, good luck in your search, wish I could afford to sell you mine.

If you haven't read it already, this is the book i see most recommended for switchers. It helped my Dad :D

http://www.amazon.com/Switching-Mac-Missing-Manual-Leopard/dp/0596514123/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233087664&sr=8-12

You can get a certified refurbished computer from the web site. I think they come with AppleCare and everything.

Thank you for the link! I don't know why I hadn't thought of that.

There wa a place in Tampa that i was going to buy used from - BUT, really, they hold their values soooo well that there wasn't enough of a difference from new for the spec changes.

I wouldn't spend much on a G4/G5 at this point. The next version of the OS drops support too.

So for me, i wasn't willing to spend over $400 for something used - and I spent $499 on my Mini "new" from the refurb store. It was an intel computer vs the $399 i was going to pay for a G5 tower.

Great point! Thanks for sharing... something for us to consider.

what is your budget, what are your needs, and how mac savvy are you? that information would influence what recommendations i would make.

Very good questions, thanks for asking. We have a G4 Powerbook right now, but we're looking to get away from the laptop. I guess you could say that I am both PC and Mac literature (although I highly prefer our Mac any day of the week, IYKWIM), but my dh is definitely mac savvy - despises PCs. That said, I have assigned the task to him to do the research and make the decision. ;)

Thanks again!

and yes, they do give a full warranty on their stuff in the refurb store.

In addition, we have purchased 2 macbooks, an eMac (our first mac experience) and an iMac from ebay with great success. Oh, and I recently bought ds a mac mini from ebay as well. Just look for an individual owner/seller vs a reseller and look for good feedback. Some actually have applecare still on them if they've bought the extended warranty.

I would definitely get a core 2 duo - nothing less than that at this point (this will have the windows/mac processors). I paid around $600 for my iMac. The only thing it didn't have compared to new at the time was bluetooth (and you can buy an adapter for $20). It doesn't have a superdrive, but a cd/dvd/cd burner was enough for me. I LOVE my macs!!

i wish I could pack up my mac and send it to you. I (simply put) despise my machine. I long for the good old days of my Dell. I have no Mac savvy, and it is driving me crazy. ANyways, good luck in your search, wish I could afford to sell you mine.

What is it and how much would you sell it?

We have had Dell forever, and various others, but bought a Mac year. It's actually been life altering! We now have the motto: "Once you go Mac, you never go back!" I find it intuitive. It's arranged like I think, so find it wonderful.

I've had good luck with ebay. Depends on your needs though, as to how cheap you can get. I can get by with a pretty minimal Mac, because dh is a PC programmer and so we have those too (meaning I don't need great internet capabilities on my Mac).

My 'newest' old Mac is a ten year old laptop and I love it. :) It was very cheap. Dh wanted me to get it so I'd quit tying up the family computer during writing projects, and I didn't want to spend a lot till I knew if I'd even like a laptop. Next time, I'd get a newer one. But this one is serving me very well.