Menu

Are you a forever homeschooler, a situational, or a reluctant homeschooler?

Forever, situational, reluctant?  

1. 1. Forever, situational, reluctant?

• Forever homeschooler- it is the only path for my family k-12
    • Forever homeschooler up until jr. high or high school
    • Situational homeschooler- your, your child's, or your child's school situation leads the way.
    • Reluctant- you wouldn't homeschool normally but find it your only option right now.
    • other

I voted "other." I never in a million years thought I would homeschool my kids. I didn't know a single soul who homeschooled their kids or had been homeschooled themselves. But halfway into my twins' kindergarten year it became readily apparent that my son was falling through the cracks with no hope of ever catching up to his sister simply because he's a twice-gifted kid that dumbfounded his teacher. We very reluctantly began homeschooling in 2004 and here we are 4.5 years later! I consider myself situational at this point because if the right private school situation presented itself and we could afford it we might very well consider enrolling them in school. But with our finances as they currently are, private school simply isn't an option for us and public school in our district will happen over my d.e.a.d. b.o.d.y. It's difficult for me to envision putting my kids back in school at this point, but I readily admit that I may not be qualified to teach them in the high school years.

As someone else here posted, my husband assures me often that I'm doing a great job, but I do worry at times whether I'm doing right by my children. But I just love being their teacher and I treasure the learning that the three of us have shared together.

Gee, I had to answer "other". I started out being a forever homeschooler. Children's needs intervened, and now two are at home and two are at PS. Sometimes events mess up my plans. :001_smile: I am the living embodiment of the saying "the best laid plans of mice and (wo)men often go astray".*

* That's a misquote, apparently. The real one: The best laid schemes o' mice an' men gang aft a-gley.--Robert Burns ("To a Mouse")

I voted forever through high school - and those are our current plans. However, dh and I have an understood agreement to re-evaluate when our oldest hits 8th grade and decide if she should go to high school or stay home. She's in the midst of 5th grade right now, so we have a few years. We're about 90% sure we'll continue afterward, but only time will tell. :)

I voted situational... as this is our first year homeschooling and I thought the school at our current location (Korea) was substandard. Having said that we'll be moving next year, possible to a largecity, not known for their educational standards... so we may continue HS'ing. We won't be able to afford $20,000 a year for private school and I'm not willing to sacrifice my DC's education. I have to admit that we've had a really good school year so far and that I enjoy HS'ing more than I thought I would.

because this is my desire to do so, but as others have stated, we will continue to re-evaluate whether or not this is the best situation for each individual child. Dd said she wants to do "homeschool college" and we told her that's fine. :D

I voted Forever Homeschooler-----

I started out as a reluctant and situational homeschooler, but after a couple of years I was a forever homeschooler! I still go with what seems best for each child though. My preference is forever homeschooling, but last year my ds started going to a Christian highschool with a work/study program. He was plateauing here, and needed a jump-start. We prayed a LOT about it and felt led to that school, over homeschooling. It's been THE PERFECT THING for him! My other two are 6th and 9th grades (if you want to put a grade on them), and we have no plans to do anything else with them, but are open to possibilities of change if the need arises.

• 7 months later...

We pulled my son out of Kindergarten and I always felt he should have never started! He's now 13 and we have no plans to send him back to school. He even wants to do college online. My dd11 has gone to school several times over the years but I never thought of those times as permanent. I always put her in letting her know she could come out anytime she chose. :)

about Jewish rabbis: if three of them get together, they usually have five or more opinions. :)

I checked other.

I've been an "always" homeschooler, but my dh only wanted to homeschool through jr high. Because of circumstances, I haven't been able to homeschool the way *I* wanted to, and I've missed out on a lot of the delight of really homeschooling high schoolers, a lot of the deep discussions/sharing profound lessons, teaching kids a love for reflection and thoughtfulness, etc. and we've outsourced a lot. Now dh, who is at a very bad point in his life with health and work issues, is talking about sending youngest (9th grader) to private school next year. I understand why--this particular kid's need for community--and I think it is wise in some respects, but I'm also grieving.

And many other emotions....

Edited by Valerie(TX)
added the poll answer

I'm not really sure. I'd like to be a forever homeschooler, but I can't tell the future and I would put my children's needs before my desire to homeschool. Certainly we plan to homeschool through 8th grade; high school is the earliest time that I would consider sending them to school.

I voted 'situational' and forever. Situational because Diva was in school til mid gr 3, and we pulled her.

Forever because, as long as its possible, I will continue hsing, and have absolutely no intention of my kids entering ps ever ever again.

I realize stuff happens. Losing most of the use of my dominant hand and arm, plus severe chronic pain, my career, and future in my career) has more than taught me that.

But, God willing, we'll graduate Diva, Tazzie and Princess from highschool, without ever them entering a ps as a student.

I said forever homeschooler. Some of my kids went to PS before DH and I married. But, from then on, it's all homeschool. It's funny...I beat myself up for being such a scatter-brained teacher, but my dd15 realized yesterday that she can graduate a year early. We added up all of her credits and she's right! :confused: How'd we do that? :tongue_smilie:

Situational for us. The area we live in has particularly bad schools which led us to homeschool this year (and I disagree with full day K anyway). We will continue moving every 2 years or so for the foreseeable future so we will reevaluate with every move. Our oldest would really like to try school and asks regularly if she will get to go next year so we hope to choose a location that will allow that to happen.

Ideally we would find great school districts that will allow part time enrollment for students but I'm not holding my breath. A great coop would be another option (we have very little here). And if we do choose ps in some locations we will still have to afterschool for continuity across thei education.

It will all work out somehow I am sure.

I checked forever, but I am reluctant at times and sometimes it is just purely situational.

We almost put everyone in school so I could get a job. I went to the school, talked to several people, etc. It was not what I wanted, but I was afraid not to get a job. I even looked at several private schools and applied for scholarships for my youngest school-agers (in FL they could have gotten vouchers.)

The registrar at the school then told me that regardless of their age or any LDs there might be, the dc would be placed based on a one-day placement test. That meant that my 4'9" 8yo ds would have been placed in K or 1! Eventually they would have tested him for LDs, gotten him an IEP, etc. The same for my 11yo (who tests badly and he is 5'3" - he could have been a 4th grader!)

Then, the daycare situation for the youngest 2 and afterschool care for the next 3 fell through and the only option I could find was $513 per week. I decided that it wasn't worth it. I would be better off *offering* daycare to others!

If not for special learning issues and the daycare issue, they would be in school and I would be working. I guess that it was meant for us to homeschool, so here we are. For the first time ever, we have a good homeschool group close by and activities for the dc. I'm more serious about hs than I ever have been and I think that we will have a successful year!

Hopefully forever, that's our desire. We'll homeschool through high school unless poor health conditions (would have to be extreme) or some other similiar situation made it impossible. The Lord called us to homeschool before our children were even conceived. We even know where they will go to college!

I started out as a reluctant/situational homeschooler ~ pulled DS11 (gifted+LDs) out of a public charter after 4th grade, as he was simultaneously bored out of his mind and not getting any help with his LDs. After a few months of homeschooling, I was smacking myself for ever putting him in school to begin with!

I'm hs'ing DD7 this year as well, and I can't think of a single reason (other than an incapacitating illness) that would ever make me consider putting them in PS. The high schools here are academically terrible and emotionally/socially toxic ~ I would rather graduate them at 14 or 15 and send them straight to college than put them in public high school here!

So, yeah, as long as I'm alive and capable of teaching, I'm a "forever" homeschooler. :001_smile:

Jackie

I was a forever homeschooler, then I became a forever until middle school/high school homeschooler and now I'd say I'm a situational homeschooler: right now all of my school-aged kids are in school but if the situation warranted it, I would homeschool again, at which point I would be a reluctant homeschooler.

Susan in TX

I am a forever reluctant homeschooler. I don't love homeschooling and if someone gave us a full scholarship to the local Christian school my kids would be there in a heartbeat. But, DH and I do not want our kids in ps, we have definite reasons to homeschool and so... I homeschool.

Well, I answered forever because we will home school through high school. However ... that doesn't mean I'll be teaching every course every year. Right now, ds14 is taking two courses at the local public high school. I fully expect him to take a couple CC courses during 11th and 12th grades. But we still home school -- I've just chosen to outsource those particular areas. But outsourcing is and will remain my (and the kids') decision year by year, course by course.

Karen

I put other because although I would love to homeschool forever, Dh and I feel that dc can decide for themselves if they want to go to high school or not.

Our local high schools (public and private) offer alternative options that allow teens to take only math and english if they want to play any type of sport or participate in any other activity. Some allow them to only participate in the activity, so that's an option too.

My hope is that dc will pursue whatever activity through the local high school, but spend the rest of their time homeschooling and apprenticing or working/volunteering in a field that interests them. I think the teen years are a great time to do this, and a full time school schedule would really limit their opportunities.

I am a forever 2nd generation homeschooler. But, I am fully aware that "life" happens and at times we may need to be flexible. I'm ok with that. I just look to each day as a gift with my children. I am so thankful for this time and know if we need to make changes, we will be ok.

I am a forever homeschooler. My dh made noises in the past about wanting to send the kids to high school (so that they could play hs sports) but I told him, "If I spend all those years giving my kids an excellent education, no way I am turning them over to a school as it's all coming to fruition!"

Tara

We evaluate how the kids are, how we are and decide on a year by year. With that said, it's been 7 years:) of homeschooling. If I feel I am failing them academically or they are not doing what is expected of then they I would entertain putting them in private school. This works right now, things change so one never knows.