Menu

Are you a forever homeschooler, a situational, or a reluctant homeschooler?

Forever, situational, reluctant?  

1. 1. Forever, situational, reluctant?

• Forever homeschooler- it is the only path for my family k-12
    • Forever homeschooler up until jr. high or high school
    • Situational homeschooler- your, your child's, or your child's school situation leads the way.
    • Reluctant- you wouldn't homeschool normally but find it your only option right now.
    • other

I said situational. I have no plans to put the kids in school but they are so young and I know situations change. What dh and I have said is that we will homeschool them as long as we think they are getting a better education at home than they could get at school. I can imagine circumstances where that would change.

I approach every day as a forever homeschooler assuming I will be teaching my children through high school. However, every year when I analyze where my children are and the best way to meet their needs and our goals for them, we weigh all the options available to us and choose accordingly, and these would include classes available at a brick-and-mortar school (although, as we get closer to that time, it seems most likely that we will opt for dual enrollment in a community college or local university).

Situational. We enjoy it now, but no guarantees it's the route avenue for each child, each year. To be a good parent I think we (DH & I) should follow what appears to be the best for each child. We don't have a one-size-fits-all formula for our educational goals. That would limit their possibilities. I'm NOT capable of teaching chemistry, trig, etc. I'm a GREAT elementary school/middle school teacher. Would be a great history teacher, but have weaknesses that we don't want to pass on to DCs.

I want to homeschool my children through graduation. I expect we'll be able to make that happen. But I realize things happen, and there are only so many hoops I'm willing to make our family jump through and sacrifices I would allow to be made in order to do so. I will do what's best for *our* family every year.

We are forever homeschoolers, but we do out source some high school classes.

My 12 year old wants to go to a fine arts boarding school for either his senior year, or a gap year. I've already told him that I will pay for it if he can get into the music department.

This goal keeps him motivated to practice three instruments daily, and not fall behind in his school work.

If you have a 12 year old boy, you know what a blessing that really is!

We started as situational. My kids went to a private classical christian school which we loved. However, due to rising tuition costs, we put them in ps last year and quickly realized ps was not for us.

This is our first year of homeschooling and I really wish I had started homeschooling from day one. Both dh and myself are committed to homeschool through graduation.

Having said that, we do realize that God may have other plans for our family so we tell our kids it's a year by year decision.

Started out as forever. I love teaching my kids and wanted to homeschool, unless something drastic happened that required their placement in school. Then the unthinkable did happen. The kids went to school, and did mostly well there. They have learned some things that are difficult to learn at home (not only Spanish, but things like not picking your nose). That said, I will likely homeschool in the future. The oldest has some learning disabilities and school is becoming overwhelming for her. Now I'd consider myself situational, bordering on reluctant. I've gotten a taste of a quiet house during the day, and that will be hard to give up.

I voted situational because I don't think I ever would have even thought to homeschool if I didn't have special needs kids. This was a real departure for me, as I never knew anyone who homeschooled and never imagined I could do something like that. Now it's forever because, while I would consider a great special needs program if it happened to wander by, I would be shocked and amazed if one did. One look at my kids' growth and potential vs. the public school kids' who are in lockstep from one inadequate special needs program and another and...I'm in for keeps. HUGE difference. We're having a great teaching day today -- with some of our work of the past months showing glimmers of coming together -- and I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Sandy

Hm. In practice, probably "forever". But I won't swear to that. I believe there *are* situations that would cause me to put my kids into school -- I just don't expect them to arise. But I don't believe all school is a moral evil or all home schooling is superior. I guess I'm already almost past being "forever until jr high". ;) So maybe I'd be safe saying that (at least for kid #1 -- kid #2 has a few years left)...

I honestly don't understand the concept of saying, "I'm doing 'X' forever, no matter what." Yes, I understand the desire to pursue a given path. I understand the intent to persevere. I feel that way about many things. But to me, it's not wise to assume my desires and preferences will always and ever be the best for everyone at all times. There's a fine line between dedication to a cause and short-sighted stubbornness.

I think I'm all three. I've definitely felt reluctant about it, our situation makes homeschooling the best choice, and in the past I've considered myself a forever homeschooler. I'm kind of at the place with my oldest that we may be making different choices soon to meet his needs. I know some won't let their teen make decisions about their education but I trust my son and he's worthy of that trust. I guess I'm saying I answered other. :D

We are planning on forever.

If a great school was close, I might consider sending dc for high school. But we are so far in the sticks that the only option is the below-par public school.

Of course, as others have mentioned, something may come up and the dc will have to go to the ps. However, we are working with the intent of educating them at home until they get to university classes.

(With the exception of ds, who may wind up in a military boarding school:lol::lol: j/k)

I really want to homeschool all the way through 12th. I'm not sure DH is on board, though, and we've always said we'd talk about high school when we got there. With the oldest in 6th grade, it's time to start talkin'!

We did start out "situational", but left that reason awhile back, so I don't consider it our reason for homeschooling now.

Edited by Rhonda in TX
clarified reason for starting homeschooling

. . . only because that felt the "most right" of the available options.

We assume that we are going to continue to homeschool. And, with the exception of a few very bad days, I've never seriously considered putting either child into a traditional K-12 school.

However, I would not refuse to put a child in school if there were a compelling reason to do so and the right school were available.

For example, my son is very involved in a variety of performing arts. And the stress of juggling the schedules and committments for the assorted groups drove me to tears more than once during the last academic year. So, if there were a really terrific arts-oriented magnet or private school, I'd be tempted. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately), the right situation doesn't seem to exist, primarily because none of the arts schools I've looked at could meet his academic needs.

So, for the foreseeable future, we'll keep going as we are. However, we're always recognized that homeschooling is only the "least worst" option for this child. So, if we ever found the "best" option, I'd probably be willing to make the change.

I chose situational but we have been homeschooling since 1995. It was forever for child #1, and will be child #2. However, child #3 is an extrovert and if we move to an area where there is a good alternative for her, especially after her older sister goeas away to college, we may put her in school. So far, she wants to stay home.

I said forever... but I guess that's unless the situation changes.

We love homeschooling, think it is absolutely the best choice for our children. However, since my dh was in the hospital for almost six months several years ago, I know that things can change in a heartbeat.

Barring emergencies, we're forever. But life happens, right?

I chose "other". I thought I would be forever until I had to put my oldest in school in the middle of 2nd grade. We were living in a camper and the only way to get a house was for me to teach school. Money was so tight then. I brought her home again from 6-8th grades. This year she is in public high school. I'm not really crazy about the situation, but I don't think I could teach her properly with 3 dc under 5 years old.

I plan on being a forever homeschooler till high school with my other 3 little ones. I don't think public school is a good option for elementary and middle school. I detest the curriculum and teaching methods used in my elementary school district and I think our middle school is a joke (use to teach there). If I feel confidant enough I might hs high school.

I voted other. I supposed I could have voted "situational" but that seems to point to homeschool happening because of the situation, not the people controlling the situation.

We choose the best academic environment for our son, and that has always been our goal. This semester he is in a public charter school...the last three years he was homeschooled. Who knows what we'll do next semester?

Our reasons for homeschooling have always been almost entirely academic, and probably always will be...our decision is based on the best placement at the time for each of our sons.

I guess you'd call us situational. I think my heart is moving towards forever, even though I talk to our school's data coordinator every year, but dh and I have said all along that we will do this as long as it's working for our family. He's a huge support to me; he reassures me all the time, when I think I should put them in school for their sake, that we're all doing fine.

I have several friends putting their kids in school right now. On the one hand, I'm somewhat envious. On the other hand, it's clarified for me in my heart that we're doing what we should be doing right now. We're getting back into a good school groove and I'm feeling better about it. Now, if I could just get the drama queens to lay off the drama for school, everyone would be happy. :D

Like so many decisions, this one will depend on the needs of our family. The decision to homeschool through 12th grade was absolutely the right one for my older child. With my younger child, I am taking it "a day at a time". She has been homeschooled since preschool and is now an 8th grader. I have every intention of having her homeschool through 12th grade as her brother did. But she is very different from him personality-wise, and has different needs. And I am finding that I have different needs now as well. So we are taking it as it comes.

Situational, moving to forever, if that makes sense ;)

:iagree: and I understand ;) Right now it is situational. Dh works afternoons and evenings. If dd were in school they would see each other on the weekends. That doesn't work for our family. So, homeschooling it is! :D I absolutely love it and dd enjoys it so I think it might lead to "forever homeschooling"

I voted forever homeschooler even though I am technically a situational homeschooler. It is just that I can't really fathom a situation in which we would place our boys in ps at this point (since the possibility of affording private school is also unfathomable, LOL). I think it is much more likely that we take advantage of multiple other opportunities as they get older (online classes, college classes, individual highschool classes, etc).

I want to homeschool my children through graduation. I expect we'll be able to make that happen. But I realize things happen, and there are only so many hoops I'm willing to make our family jump through and sacrifices I would allow to be made in order to do so. I will do what's best for *our* family every year.

I feel the same way which is why I picked situational. Right now my plan is to homeschool until I graduate them all, but you never know what the future holds.

I voted for 2 - forever & situational.

I wanted to homeschool before I wanted to have children. :)

I'm trying to always keep the needs of my kids as the deciding factor. I can envision a future where a public school experience of some kind would be good for them. Hopefully not for a long while, though.

I voted forever homeschooler even though I am technically a situational homeschooler. It is just that I can't really fathom a situation in which we would place our boys in ps at this point (since the possibility of affording private school is also unfathomable, LOL). I think it is much more likely that we take advantage of multiple other opportunities as they get older (online classes, college classes, individual highschool classes, etc).

I understand. I think it's difficult to conceive of homeschooling older students until we experience it firsthand. Which is not to say you can't do it or shouldn't do it, or that I can't or shouldn't do it. Only that there's such a vast difference in schooling little people and bigger people.:)

I started homschooling because the local school was failing to teach my children . we continue to homeschool because the local high school isn't much better. 6 teachers from the local high school have told me to continue homeschooling as the eduction starndard is very low. the nearest other high school is over 100 km away. so we will continue homeschooling.