Menu

Library: How do YOU teach kids to find supplemental books/topics in the library?

I'm wondering how others teach their kids to find supplemental books or other topics/books of interest in the library.

We have a great library system here, so great, that I don't want to just walk into one branch and say to the kids, "Go look for books on mammals/ancient Greece/this artist/this composer/hobby/this author for lit.," because chances are, we can better find what we want by searching all the branches in our system online at home and reserving for pickup. So, I've always done the searching myself, online at home. I'll sit down with the WTM lit. lists, SOTW, the current science book, and a few other references, ask the kids what topics they want to read about and look for them. I get lots of books this way and they do enjoy reading/skimming through specially picked books.

But I'm wondering two main things. Are there specific things I should be teaching them actually IN the library branch? And, how do I start to transition my almost 11yo to finding his own books, esp. online at home, since we can find more of what we need that way and it's more convenient? (maybe what I really should say is, how do I help him do this online at home and not get bogged down by all he *could* search for and reserve? I get bogged down at times!)

I wouldn't completely give the process over to him right now, just want to start teaching him. But, the truth is, it does take me a long time to search and reserve every few weeks. I generally search and reserve enough for two or three weeks' study at a time, mostly because I just forget to do it on a weekly basis. Maybe I should teach ds to do it week by week so it doesn't take so long? I don't want him to go crazy searching (I'm more patient about searching than he might be), but I want him to learn to dig a little more ("I want to learn about tracking mammals. How would I search in the library system for books that talk about this?" for example. This, I find so far, is a little harder than just looking for books on lions. We can look things up in the World Book encyclopedia at home, and we do, but there is something about searching for info. in library books, that I can't quite put my finger on....)

And, we do go to the library, just not every week. So, they do ask librarians for help finding things, they have a general idea of the Dewey decimal system, and they do search the stacks at random for books that strike their interest, so we are not tied to JUST my mandated searches.

What do you do? Suggestions for me?

Edited by Colleen in NS

I've taught my 9 year old dd about the general Dewey Decimal system, meaning roughly where most subjects are categorized in our local library. She knows right where to go to find the science, history, music, etc. She knows to look for the J meaning it is a kid's book. She also knows how to search for books on the computer both at the library and at home. She loves ordering books from other libraries and having it wait for her with her name on it. I've just given her the basics and turned her loose. She has taught herself so much. I still pull the specific books we want, but I let her explore and bring home additional items as well.

She knows how to search for a specific book from the "address" or the call number.

We go to the library every week so it has been consistent practice for her. She has a chess class she attends there so it is natural go stay a little longer and explore. Sometimes I answer her questions, sometimes I send her to a librarian but most of the time she figures it out on her own.

I used a program for my sons on how to use reference materials. It was called I spy, or find it, or something like that. I just looked thru Rainbow Resource and I can't find it. I took them thru all kinds of reference materials like, encyclopedias, thesaurus, dictionary, atlas and included a field trip to the library where they had to set up an appointment and interview the librarian.

I found it on CBD.com It is called Information please. There are several levels Getting Started, Intermediate 6-8, Advanced 9-12.

But I did find a series call Library skills that has levels for K thru 6th grade.

I preferred having a curriculum written for me...at least it was a place to start and I dind't have to figure out what I was missing. You can always expand on someone else's ideas.

Edited by KatieinMich

I have been caually doing this with my kids. We'd go to the library and after they picked out their books, I would casually ask them what the letters and numbers on the spine sticker were and they gradually noticed the pattern of topics or book types to the info provided on the library's sticker. I decided this year to do something more formal, so I have having my kids do an Evan-Moor Literature Pocket book on non-fiction. Each chapter (which I will have them cover over 1-2 weeks) has them looking for books in the library in a specific section then narrows the focus asking them to find specific information on specific topics while having them trace their path to get there (where was it in the library? where was it catalogued in the dewey decimal system? could the information be found in other areas of the library? if so, where?) They have just started using this but seem to be enjoying it.

I used a program for my sons on how to use reference materials. It was called I spy, or find it, or something like that. I just looked thru Rainbow Resource and I can't find it. I took them thru all kinds of reference materials like, encyclopedias, thesaurus, dictionary, atlas and included a field trip to the library where they had to set up an appointment and interview the librarian.

I found it on CBD.com It is called Information please. There are several levels Getting Started, Intermediate 6-8, Advanced 9-12.

But I did find a series call Library skills that has levels for K thru 6th grade.

I preferred having a curriculum written for me...at least it was a place to start and I dind't have to figure out what I was missing. You can always expand on someone else's ideas.

These titles are very helpful, thank you! I just reserved them at my library.

Chelle

We are at the library 2-3 X each week. The librarians "know" us. I make my boys approach the librarian, look her in the eye and ask "will you please help me find a book on X?" They love to help, and then they point out the numbers, the sections, in a very casual way. So, my boys are becoming very familiar with how to find books. They are also learning some valuable social skills, and that it is okay to ask for help. My younger son, who is especially shy, has made great progress (so much so that one of the librarians commented on it).

We are fortunate to have excellent librarians who truly love helping kids.

You mean we actually have to teach them?!?:D

I had started at one point but honestly, I have 4 kiddos one of them just about 3 and I have to find 'school' books for 3 of them, plus pay attention to them b/c of weirdos etc. I haven't been very diligent about this, but we are headed there in a few minutes so maybe . . .

You mean we actually have to teach them?!?:D

LOL! Well, I confess I am hoping to make my life a little easier, as well as teach him something he'll need in a few years anyway.:D I'm likening it to the revamped chores lists I did yesterday - taking the time now to teach them new chore responsibilities so dh and I can start concentrating on bigger responsibilities.

I have a better idea of what to do now, I think. I did find a book in the library about the Dewey Decimal system, and we'll have a look through that to get more familiar. I figure it we know this system, we should be able to find our way around any of the branches quickly.

Also, I did some looking around tonight on our library system's website and figured out some more of the search options, so I can show ds how to use them for various types of searches. So he can get more specific in searches. I also talked to him about him taking over more of the searching, so he can find what he likes on, say, the beginnings of Rome, instead of the 10 books *I* might think are interesting about it and hope he will choose one. This way, he can take more ownership, and get to know how this system works. It's now just a matter of sitting down with him and going through the process for a few weeks until he's comfortable finding his way around the site. And then handing him his history and science books each week and saying, "pick some topics/events/people and find your books! Have fun!"

Thanks for your input.

What we do is this. Once a week, I sit with the SOTW AG and WTM and other various lists I've collected from whatever misc. source I want to look into. I find books on our online library system for this (and sometimes the following) week. I make a list for each kiddo. The info they are looking at then contains the name of the book, the author, and the library number of where to find the book. When we make our library trip, they are responsible for finding their own books that I've put on their lists. At first it was REALLY hard and time consuming, but it has become mostly easy now. They understand the system better, and have found their way around the children's section. They are also responsible for finding their own "fun" reading, so they have had to explore the shelves beyond just the lists that I provide them.

I like the idea of having something more formal for the library - a lesson, or curriculum. I will look into this now as well. Good luck to you!

- Stacey in MA