Menu

buying food in bulk

Anybody know a good website where you can buy food in bulk for generic food? I want to buy in bulk, but it seems that all bulk food I find is name brand and I can buy generic cheaper than buying name brand in bulk. I would like to buy generic in bulk.

Any good websites where the food prices are great and the shipping is free? I know asking for free shipping is crazy, but if the shipping cost are high, I might as well have went to the grocery store.

I have heard great things about Costco, but there is not a Costco near me. I think the closest one is about 3 hours away. I have never been in a Costco. Would it be worth a 3 hour drive and a whole day trip or would the gas and time cost more than the food savings?

Well I know it seems like everyone on here loves Costco. One just opened here last fall and I've been there twice to "check it out". Both times I left very UNimpressed. Granted I have a Sam's membership and it really isn't any different than that but I don't use my Sam's card much either. If you like to buy lots of processed foods than you can save money over the smaller packages of processed food that grocery stores sell but if you cook mostly from scratch then you probably won't find much there. I do okay on the household supplies (ziplock bags, laundry/dishwasher soap, vitamins etc) but if I watch for sales and use coupons it comes out about the same.

I've been buying alot of my food from country life (http://www.clnf.org). I am part of a co-op and we have to spend $400 to get the free shipping. I think United food is another food co-op but they won't let you see their prices until you are already a member so I can't even tell if I WANT to be a member (it just seems wierd to me the way they have it set up). I think you could call either of these companies and see if there are any groups in your area that you could ask about joining. I've also heard people mention Azure standard but I haven't dealt with them either.

I've just started buying a 1/4 of a beef last fall and this year I will buy a half. I will probably look into pork too. Once I start getting my meat in bulk, I will seldom need to go to the store for anything other then milk or eggs and fresh veggies in winter. I find my biggest grocery savings comes by staying out of the grocery store.

I find my biggest grocery savings comes by staying out of the grocery store.

Isn't that the truth!! Just yesterday I told my husband we should stop at the grocery store on our way somewhere just to pick up 2 or 3 things I can only get at one particular store. Then I told him to forget it; I'd just spend money. :)

Depending on where you live, ask around for co-ops. A local one would have better odds for free shipping. There are many all over the country. Word of mouth is the best way to find out. Here in the Pacific North West clear to North Dakota, azurestandard.com is a really good one. They carry bulk grains, rice beans organic stuff as well as smaller packages and convenient foods too.

I also shop at Costco but with the memborship price and three hours away I dont know if it would be that great of a deal. But I buy very little convenience foods too. So maybe that would make it more worth it.

Lora